+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

I like Brandon. I thought the scenes of him going to his "zen" place were cute. I agree he needs to ditch the "man-bun", though. lol, that term made me laugh. I'm probably alone in this, but I didn't love his design this time. While I can agree it was original and interesting, and he is talented, I didn't like it. Or at least not enough for it to win. I thought Batani should have won, with that lovely outfit. It had a real wow factor for me, it made me smile too. Hope I got her name right, it was the one with the big cape that the model held out at the end of the runway, and all the bright colors. That would make me feel like dancing if I wore it.

Margarita getting some love from the judges surprised me. There was nothing original about that, it looked like a costume, and it was silly to think of turning the top around as "innovative". I hope I am wrong, but I am not expecting any big surprises from her designs; I feel like I know what she'll send down the runway most of the time.

I was shocked to see that slime colored mess! Very ugly, and it looked like hell on the model. But the guy that went home probably deserved to with that horribly busy and messy looking design. It sure didn't seem dance-inspired to me! It was clunky and awful. Another shock; I wasn't expecting it to be that bad.

I don't even remember what the twins made. But they aren't very interesting in their design work or otherwise.
    AZChristian, Photobabe and Babbred like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I like Brandon. I thought the scenes of him going to his "zen" place were cute. I agree he needs to ditch the "man-bun", though. lol, that term made me laugh. I'm probably alone in this, but I didn't love his design this time. While I can agree it was original and interesting, and he is talented, I didn't like it. Or at least not enough for it to win. I thought Batani should have won, with that lovely outfit. It had a real wow factor for me, it made me smile too. Hope I got her name right, it was the one with the big cape that the model held out at the end of the runway, and all the bright colors. That would make me feel like dancing if I wore it.

Margarita getting some love from the judges surprised me. There was nothing original about that, it looked like a costume, and it was silly to think of turning the top around as "innovative". I hope I am wrong, but I am not expecting any big surprises from her designs; I feel like I know what she'll send down the runway most of the time.

I was shocked to see that slime colored mess! Very ugly, and it looked like hell on the model. But the guy that went home probably deserved to with that horribly busy and messy looking design. It sure didn't seem dance-inspired to me! It was clunky and awful. Another shock; I wasn't expecting it to be that bad.

I don't even remember what the twins made. But they aren't very interesting in their design work or otherwise.
    Claire made red pants and red top and really they looked a mess.

Shawn did a top that looked just like the one she made for the first challenge with her silver shorts and a kinda of sweat pant bottom.
    lilymax likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

IMO, Kudzanai's look was bad --- really bad, but not nearly as awful as Deyonte's hideous and poorly executed chartreuse look.

Kudzanai's E03, E02, E01 looks ...

Kudzanai pr16-ep3.jpg Kudzanai pr16-ep2.jpg Kudzanai pr16-ep1.jpg
    woodiedog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Claire made red pants and red top and really they looked a mess.

Shawn did a top that looked just like the one she made for the first challenge with her silver shorts and a kinda of sweat pant bottom.
    I don't think Claire's red outfit was that bad. Also, both were cropped, but I don't see the "same" top, at all, by Shawn. In fact, I thought Shawn sent a very good look down the runway.

Claire pr16-ep3.jpg

Shawn pr16-ep3.jpg Shawn pr16-ep1.jpg
    Last edited by ryansmommy; 09-05-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    woodiedog likes this.

Holy cow! That's a real unflattering outfit with the saggy butt sweatpants! The red with the ribbons everywhere isn't much better. Since neither twin has really produced anything good yet, I wonder how far the whole twin thing will carry them. I wonder if they even have the ability to create anything worth seeing. If they continue as they started, i hope they leave soon. But i realize it's early yet. There are definitely a couple of standouts in the pack already...and the twins are not among them.
    Bearcata and Babbred like this.

Stand by my previous comments about Claire's outfit. Using a bedsheet to make a pair of oversized red pants that look horrid. The top is marginally better in the photo than watching it walk down the runway.

Shawn basically the same outfit.
    Photobabe and Babbred like this.
    No goat killers on my island.

I kind of like that red outfit with pants that Kudzani made for the 1st challenge. I remember liking it now and thinking i'd like to see more from him. I'm surprised his last was as bad as it was.

I also was thinking they create these designs under a great deal of pressure. Any designer can throw a bad one in now and then. His first look showed promise, I thought. But then again, somebody must go home every time.

The judges are eliminating designers with weaker skill sets.

IMO, it's abundantly clear the judges favor Deyonte over Kudzanai even though Deyonte's runway look was, by far, more horrendous than Kudzanai's for the challenge.

Deyonte pr16-ep3.jpg
    Kudzanai pr16-ep3.jpg

Modesty is not limited to women of Eastern or Middle Eastern religions. One of my best friends in high school was the daughter of a fundamentalist Christian pastor. He would not allow his family to wear anything immodest, the girls couldn't cut their hair, wear makeup...the works. Ayana's styles would really resonate with that entire demographic. I do agree that the constant head scarves are unnecessary.

The bad was BAD this week, and the good was GREAT! All I have to say about the top looks is this:

I WANT BRANDON'S SHIRT DRESS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy View Post
    Updating my picks.

Aaron Myers - matter of time (too specific point of view)
    Amy Bond -top contender contender
    Ayana Ife - matter of time (too specific point of view)
    Batani-Khalfani - matter of time (she's not ready)
    Brandon Key - matter of time contender top contender
    ChaCha - matter of time
    Claire Buitendorp - contender
    Deyonte Weather - top contender matter of time
    Kentaro Kameyama - top contender
    Kenya Freeman - top contender
    Kudzanai Karidza - contender (ugh)
    Margarita Alvarez - contender
    Michael Brambila - matter of time (too specific point of view)
    Samantha Rei - contender (I'm not certain of her point of view)
    Sentell McDonald - contender
    Shawn Buitendorp - matter of time contender (an uptick, although likely too specific)

The first couple of challenges, we saw some classic dilemmas from this show.

1. When a designer does badly, do you judge them on the one challenge or their whole body of work? I hated Batani's design and her attitude about working with bigger models. However, I've changed my mind and decided I'm glad she's still here. She is a very talented designer. I only hope her attitude will change over the course of the season.

2. In the group challenge, do you concentrate on your own design or work with the group? I felt badly for Sentell, but not that badly. In the end, only one designer can win the show. This is just one challenge. The only thing you should worry about is how your own design turns out. Let the weaker designers get on the runway and moan/cry about how they didn't have enough time. That's not your problem.

And then there's this week.

I love Brandon! When I saw him in his "Zen Zone" I cried "Yes! That's how you do it!" If more designers would get "in the zone" and tune out the drama, this show would be so much better. Who the heck cares what crud the twins are up to? Concentrate on your own design and winning the challenge! And I must say Brandon's attitude is so refreshing. It's so nice to watch him as opposed to those designers in the past who practically declared "I am the fashion god! Bow down before me you fashion illiterate mortals! How dare a you criticize a genius like me?" All this being said, it is a tad ironic because this week I didn't like Brandon's outfit.

Margarita's outfit was a costume from first to last. I almost expected the model to dance on the runway.

Kudzanai's mess dress hurt my eyes. Next time they do one of those little segments on "Top 5 Worst Fashions on PR" they should include this one.

I absolutely applaud Ayana and her vision. Finally! I am so tired of designers who "let it all hang out" on their models and then think it's sexy and sophisticated. No, it's trashy, and I always feel sorry for the models who have to wear those outfits. I am a moderate Christian. I wear pants most of the time, but I also love a good dress. Where I draw the line is cleavage. I want to be admired for my brains, thank you, so there will be no free peep show. I would wear Ayana's creations in a heartbeat, except perhaps I would shorten the skirts a little. Heck, I would even wear the scarves. I once saw a video about "10 Ways to Wear an Infinity Scarf." One of the ways was to twist it into a head scarf, and the model in the video looked very chic.

A while back ago I read an article about a company that makes burkinis. The owner said many women wrote to them to say they weren't even religious but they were still ordering one. They were simply tired of being treated like meat when they went to the beach. That's why I think there would be a market for Ayana's dresses.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234