+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Updating my picks.

Aaron Myers - matter of time (too specific point of view)
    Amy Bond -top contender contender
    Ayana Ife - matter of time (too specific point of view)
    Batani-Khalfani - matter of time (she's not ready)
    Brandon Key - matter of time contender top contender
    ChaCha - matter of time
    Claire Buitendorp - contender
    Deyonte Weather - top contender matter of time
    Kentaro Kameyama - top contender
    Kenya Freeman - top contender
    Kudzanai Karidza - contender (ugh)
    Margarita Alvarez - contender
    Michael Brambila - matter of time (too specific point of view)
    Samantha Rei - contender (I'm not certain of her point of view)
    Sentell McDonald - contender
    Shawn Buitendorp - matter of time contender (an uptick, although likely too specific)
    annemik likes this.

I've just caught up on the three episodes - finally! I love this show, and this season looks promising. So far, there isn't one person who I think is going to the end as a favorite - no clear winner or favorite yet. Brandon's getting there, but Deyonte blew it this week and fell a little in the standings. So, it's still open, and I like that! I love the different sized models, and also their little confessionals to the mirror. Great idea!

I thought Margarita's cha-cha dance was horrible looking, with that awkward midriff, and I couldn't believe it was in the top. Amy's should've made it to the top 3, because hers was very cool and innovative. I really like Ayana's creations so far, and Samantha is interesting. Batani has potential, so I hope she continues to show us good things! I can't take the twins, as everyone else said, they're just so annoying. Claire's red outfit was soooo red, and they just add really long ties to everything to make them "fresh" it seems. Normal people would hate those long ties on their cuffs and waists - getting stuck on everything, tripping on them, having them fall into the toilet - they're not practical at all, are they?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy View Post
    She won't because she's designing religious inspired attire. It is what it is and very PC of PR to include her this season.

Frankly, it bugs me somewhat for it stirs up the whole caliphate thought process, in that, yes, this country is a melting pot, but there is no melting or melding when it comes to caliphate. The designer, herself, is cute as a button. My opinion, of course.
    I get what she's trying to do, but most seasons, they have a swimwear or lingerie competition or some kind of competition where the point is to design something that's at least a little revealing. If they do, how does she work around that? I don't mind the more modest designs at all, but I'm not sure how they're going to fit the show as a whole, unless they never do anything that pretty much requires something a little less modest. Even the figure skating costume episode they did many seasons ago required, by its very nature, something that at least revealed more leg because if it didn't, it would get in the skater's way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I get what she's trying to do, but most seasons, they have a swimwear or lingerie competition or some kind of competition where the point is to design something that's at least a little revealing. If they do, how does she work around that? I don't mind the more modest designs at all, but I'm not sure how they're going to fit the show as a whole, unless they never do anything that pretty much requires something a little less modest. Even the figure skating costume episode they did many seasons ago required, by its very nature, something that at least revealed more leg because if it didn't, it would get in the skater's way.
    I bet with swimwear she would try to design a burkini, which does cover quite a bit, but is still swimwear. I don't think she could get around showing skin for the lingerie, however.

We got rid of the Current Events forum and political talk for a reason, so let's cool it with the hyperbolic stuff about Muslims in this (and any other) forum.

I don't see the problem with a designer who focuses on more modest designs. There are devout women in a number of religions who would probably be happy to wear more modest clothing that was also fashionable. I mean, who wants to look like a reject from Little House on the Prairie? Devout women of a number of faiths - Christian, Jewish and Muslim included - cover their hair, BTW. That's not exclusive to one faith.

These designers are Orthodox Jews and are quite successful: Orthodox Jewish Designers on Wearing

I guess I don't see a difference between Ayana expressing her culture and faith and say, Batani expressing hers or the contestant we had a few years ago (sorry, her name escapes me), who was Indian expressing hers. IMO, it would be unusual if a designer's background didn't somehow influence his or her style. They included models of all sizes this season, so obviously they're making an attempt at being more inclusive. If the designer creates good work, I don't see why that's a problem. Frankly, I'd rather see some modest designs over the too short pieces we've seen over the years where the poor model's crotch has to be blurred out.

While I likely wouldn't wear Brandon's designs, I think he's very talented.
    Kao, Moontat and AZChristian like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

But, at its core, the whole concept of high fashion is a Western one. And the patriarchal nature of Ayana's faith holds that women should be covered up because displaying themselves proudly/provocatively is a sin, and even a crime in countries ruled by religious law. At some point these two sets of ideas clash. I guess it's up to each individual to decide how they interpret their faith. But they aren't deciding it in a vacuum.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    We got rid of the Current Events forum and political talk for a reason, so let's cool it with the hyperbolic stuff about Muslims in this (and any other) forum.

I don't see the problem with a designer who focuses on more modest designs. There are devout women in a number of religions who would probably be happy to wear more modest clothing that was also fashionable. I mean, who wants to look like a reject from Little House on the Prairie? Devout women of a number of faiths - Christian, Jewish and Muslim included - cover their hair, BTW. That's not exclusive to one faith.
    Thank you so much for saying this. There are millions of women around the world of many different religions who dress modest, and they deserve chic and fashionable options too, so I say let Ayana do her thing. Personally, I like seeing different points of view in fashion.

I was scared for Kentaro, and was glad he got another chance. I loved Brandon, Batani, and Kenya's designs. Batani's in particular had a light and airy feel to it that reminded me of a Cirque de Solieil performance, and it moved beautifully on the runway. Kenya's look had a wonderful fabric and was wonderfully tailored. And Brandon's looked marvelous.

While I liked the losing designer as a person, he was the right choice to go home. That dress had everything but the kitchen sink thrown at it.

I don't mind her designing for a more modest look (although it certainly makes her designs obvious in a supposedly blind runway show) but I don't see how the judges get around not mentioning wanting to see more from her as they usually do if a designer sticks to the same thing over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    But, at its core, the whole concept of high fashion is a Western one. And the patriarchal nature of Ayana's faith holds that women should be covered up because displaying themselves proudly/provocatively is a sin, and even a crime in countries ruled by religious law. At some point these two sets of ideas clash. I guess it's up to each individual to decide how they interpret their faith. But they aren't deciding it in a vacuum.
    And I had to just now see your post right after I took an antihistamine and am all loopy?

Seriously though (and bear with me if this isn't as coherent as I'd like), isn't saying that high fashion is a western construct a really western-centric way to look at it? Does that mean it's closed to other viewpoints? It's a global economy, so why shouldn't other voices be heard? IMO, finding a niche like some designers are doing with more modest clothing is just smart business. It's not so different from designers tapping into the plus sized market. There are groups of women who've been ignored by the fashion industry who would buy fashionable clothing that fit them and/or their needs if it was available. The Fashion Industry will likely always focus on the same woman - very thin, very tall, very wealthy - but I still think there's room for other voices.

I'm not equating modest clothing with ANY religion specifically. My point was that modest clothing is probably desired by women who aren't Muslim....heck, maybe by women who aren't religious in any way. Not every woman wants to wear micro minis and backless tops, either because they prefer to be more covered up or because those styles aren't flattering on their body type. Also, why does barely there clothing need to be the ONLY thing considered high fashion?

I'm not going to get into a debate about Islam and patriarchy. I'll just say that we Westerners have a slightly warped and hypocritical interpretation (considering the patriarchal nonsense in Western/Judeo-Christian society) of Islam and that the Muslim women I've known - my roommate was Muslim and I knew many of her friends - covered their hair because THEY wanted to and not because a man demanded it. I don't know how it works with Orthodox Judaism or the Christian sects where women cover their hair. Really though, you could slap a "misogynist" label on nearly EVERY religion if you wanted.

As long as the judges think Ayana's work is good enough to stay in the competition, she'll stay. For me, she's in the middle-top of the pack. There are definitely designers whose work I like better, but there are also definitely designers whose work I like a lot less! We're only a few weeks in right now, so if Ayana (or anyone else) can't keep up, she'll get weeded out eventually. The first weeks are usually about picking off the stragglers right away. Once the designers who aren't suited to this competition are eliminated (I really don't want to say "less talented," because it often seems to be more about them not being able to handle the format of the show and the speed at which things move), they'll get to the others. We've seen many designers get eliminated because they just don't give the judges anything new.

If Ayana continues to present modest designs that impress the judges then more power to her. IMO, she's giving herself an added challenge on top of the constraints of each challenge by making all her clothing be more modest.
    Kao, CCL, MFWalkoff and 2 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

These designers are Orthodox Jews and are quite successful: Orthodox Jewish Designers on Wearing

I guess I don't see a difference between Ayana expressing her culture and faith and say, Batani expressing hers or the contestant we had a few years ago (sorry, her name escapes me), who was Indian expressing hers. IMO, it would be unusual if a designer's background didn't somehow influence his or her style. They included models of all sizes this season, so obviously they're making an attempt at being more inclusive. If the designer creates good work, I don't see why that's a problem. Frankly, I'd rather see some modest designs over the too short pieces we've seen over the years where the poor model's crotch has to be blurred out.

While I likely wouldn't wear Brandon's designs, I think he's very talented.
    When did Current Events disappear ... I didn't even notice.
    No goat killers on my island.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast