+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

  1. #11
    FORT Fogey Starbucks880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,254

    Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by calicokat View Post
    YES! I thought that flamenco dress made her midsection just look odd -- like it was protruding, but in a weird triangle shape :/ SOOO not flattering, that's for sure!
    It kind of reminded me of the Seinfeld puffy shirt. And yes, the cutout was odd. Also, since when is turning something backwards innovation? That particular skirt shape you can find in a J Crew or Loft. It is nothing new. I think Amy deserved her place in the top.

  2. #12
    FORT Fogey ryansmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,692

    Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    The twins make this show unwatchable. I've sewn through my finger Deyonte, it's not terminal. It was a speck of blood not a hemorrage. Clean it up, neosporin & band-aid.

    That white flameco dress made the model look pregnant in her midsection.
    Me, too. Of all my sewing related injuries, pin shin tears, scissor incidents, grommet blisters, the sewing through my finger was the least painful. It did stun me, did require a band-aid, but it was a big noting, and as I recall, there wasn't much blood and didn't really hurt.

  3. #13
    O.Snap! JosephD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,754

    Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

    I thought this was a pretty good episode. Still can't stand the twins, though. Here's my critiques on each of the designer's looks:

    Aaron: Hideous. It looked like something Willy Wonka's wife would wear.
    Amy: Not one of my favorites, but super creative.
    Ayana: I liked it, but I didn't love it.
    Batani: LOVED it!
    Brandon: Loved this one, too. Sophisticated, yet sexy.
    Claire: Red hot mess. Next.
    Deyonte: Too short and such an ugly color.
    Kentaro: Not enough design or fashion. Just a safe look and barely even that.
    Kenya: Probably should have won, imo. That was so beautifully sewn.
    Kudzanai: I think I made that same outfit in 9th grade Home Ec class. Just plain dreadful!
    Margarita: You could tell the sleeves were difficult to manipulate, but other than that I wasn't impressed.
    Michael: Not sure I'd wear that if I were a woman, but it sure does show that he knows how to sew.
    Samantha: Up close I can appreciate the work she put in to it; it was just okay for me.
    Shawn: I hate to admit that I liked her look because I don't like her.


    My top 3 favorite looks from this episode were Brandon's, Batani's and Kenya's.
    Kao likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

  4. #14
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    21,015

    Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

    The finger ... hurting ... mmmm

    While I was little, less then 6 yrs old, I stuck my finger under the needle of my mom's Singer sewing machine and either I did it by accident or my brother did it by accident my finger was pierced by the needle and I was suck. The worse part was that I was stuck and your first instinct is to pull away and I couldn't. Thankfully, mom arrived and rescued me. I am pretty sure it hit bone but once the needle was out and the finger bandaged I was off to play. I don't remember it being PAINFUL for two days like Deyonte was claiming. Just from my personal experience I thought he was using it as an excuse ... just saying. With or without the injury the dress was BAD.
    No goat killers on my island.

  5. #15
    FORT Fogey annemik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    887

    Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

    IMO, the right person won (although I really liked Batani's dress - I would wear that and it would be very appropriate here in Hawaii at a dressy Luau). And, the right person went home (what was he thinking - that was fug ugly). Brandon is the shy straight guy (that all the models have a crush on) who is the surprise of the season (especially since he is a men's designer and has rarely done women's wear). He reminds me another cute guy years ago whose father was a tailor and he was a car mechanic who also made the transition to women's fashion (the models liked him too). But Brandon's man bun has to go. Personally, I think Ayana's dress was better than Margarita's, but why does every dress have to have a hair covering? She seems to be designing for just one segment of the population.
    lilymax likes this.

  6. #16
    FORT Fogey cablejockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    2,133

    Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

    Everytime I watch this show I wish I could be a judge and let them hear a few opinions from someone not of the fashion world, but someone who has to buy clothes! I hated that odd outfit with one sleeve and one leg in it. That 'vision in red' was a vision all right--just not a good one! So many outfits had so little style or wearability.
    annemik likes this.

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey justCoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,944

    Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Everytime I watch this show I wish I could be a judge and let them hear a few opinions from someone not of the fashion world, but someone who has to buy clothes! I hated that odd outfit with one sleeve and one leg in it. That 'vision in red' was a vision all right--just not a good one! So many outfits had so little style or wearability.
    They so often like crazy stuff they call fashion but it's just weird. There's sometimes a reason why "it's never been done before" but they act like it's the next best thing. It reminds me of The Emporer's New Clothes.

  8. #18
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    21,015

    Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by annemik View Post
    IMO, the right person won (although I really liked Batani's dress - I would wear that and it would be very appropriate here in Hawaii at a dressy Luau). And, the right person went home (what was he thinking - that was fug ugly). Brandon is the shy straight guy (that all the models have a crush on) who is the surprise of the season (especially since he is a men's designer and has rarely done women's wear). He reminds me another cute guy years ago whose father was a tailor and he was a car mechanic who also made the transition to women's fashion (the models liked him too). But Brandon's man bun has to go. Personally, I think Ayana's dress was better than Margarita's, but why does every dress have to have a hair covering? She seems to be designing for just one segment of the population.
    Spot on. Thanks for saying that. I don't think there is anything wrong with designing for modesty not everyone wants to show everything unlike starlets, reality tv stars, models, singers and everyone else who is held up as this years role model just because they are young, famous, and have made a lot of money. I would like to see Ayana design without the head scarf because it is coming across as if she is designing for a specific population. Would it offend her sensibilities to show the leg below the knee?
    lilymax and annemik like this.
    No goat killers on my island.

  9. #19
    CCL
    CCL is online now
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    9,077

    Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

    I don't care if she is designing for a segment of the population. So what? Most designers have a targeted market, be it working women, socialites, young and urban, whatever. And there are people who like to be modest for non-religious reasons that would like her clothes, as noted, and I don't see why a headscarf would put them off. She is not showing a burqa or a specifically religious outfit. Nobody wears a look exactly as it appears on the runway, they can choose not to wear the head-covering, or the jewellery or jacket or whatever. I don't think she would show a shin, as that is probably against her beliefs (but I am presuming). I actually quite liked her outfit this week, though it reminded me a bit too much of Valentino.

    I didn't get the love for Brandon's, though I like him on a personal level. I thought Margarita's looked costume-y. Batani's was nice. I actually liked outfits that were not in the top more, like Samantha's, Amy's and Keenyah's.
    Last edited by CCL; 09-02-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    cablejockey, Kao, Critical and 2 others like this.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

  10. #20
    FORT Fogey ryansmommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,692

    Re: 8/31 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Spot on. Thanks for saying that. I don't think there is anything wrong with designing for modesty not everyone wants to show everything unlike starlets, reality tv stars, models, singers and everyone else who is held up as this years role model just because they are young, famous, and have made a lot of money. I would like to see Ayana design without the head scarf because it is coming across as if she is designing for a specific population. Would it offend her sensibilities to show the leg below the knee?
    She won't because she's designing religious inspired attire. It is what it is and very PC of PR to include her this season.

    Frankly, it bugs me somewhat for it stirs up the whole caliphate thought process, in that, yes, this country is a melting pot, but there is no melting or melding when it comes to caliphate. The designer, herself, is cute as a button. My opinion, of course.
    annemik likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.