+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 8/17 - PR16 Season Premiere Show Discussion

Re: 8/17 - PR16 Season Premiere Show Discussion

Deyonte's winning look was my favorite and I'm thrilled he won.

I never have the correct top and bottom choices so I'm amazed I matched the judges this time. We thought they'd pick the shorts look as a top look just because that's what usually happens.

I love the change to the different size models.

CCL

The shorts looked badly made in that one side appeared shorter. The top was nice though and of course they were going to keep her for twin drama. Her twin's outfit was nicer. I don't have to think well of them, though, because they think highly enough about themselves. Indeed.
    Loved Deyonte's pattern and dress. His model looked great. And Shawn had criticized it and was then in the bottom herself. Hmm. I felt Brandon's outfit was more safe than top three. The other top dress was nice but I think it would have looked better in another colour.
    Cha Cha's model was one of the "bigger" ones - he made a comment about her having Kardashian hips. I think him calling her fat is "cultural" though - some cultures are very blunt about stuff like that. I don't think he was necessarily trying to be mean. Tactless, sure.
    I don't know everyone's names yet. The two red outfits (Puerto Rican girl and guy with dreads) I liked and the one from the Japanese designer. I didn't like the blonde male designer's outfit (the reverse tux which looked nothing like a tux and I felt the top didn't look good).
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

Thank you Bearcata & Photobabe. I found it online.

My early favorites are Kenya & Deyonte. I wasn't crazy about Kudzanai's finished look but I thought it had interesting construction. He's at least creative, and so I'm going to keep an eye on him.

I loved the outfit Batani wore to the runway, but not the outfit she created for her model.

I don't like the twins already. I hope they tone down the annoying way they're acting as if they're superior to the others because they made a dress for Katy Perry. Plus, that silvery shorty-short ensamble was not appropriate for the red carpet, not even a hipster red carpet like NewNowNext.

I'm fine with ChaCha getting eliminated. He seems a bit inexperienced for this show.

Brandon seems to be a nice enough guy, but I don't think he'll last very long. He's so far out of his element.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Batani is extremely lucky that the judges had ChaCha to throw under the bus so that they could give her another chance. Not only was her dress ugly, it was terribly constructed. And she lied right through her teeth to the judges! Any other week they would have read her the riot act for that. At least ChaCha had a pretty fabric and a dress that was intact.

Speaking of cheating, it's been so long that I had to go and google the other cheating scandal on PR. It was Michael Keith in Season 3. He smuggled in a pattern book to his room, which is strictly forbidden. In post-show interviews, he claimed he just used it for his line of clothing that he produced outside of the show. Whatever. I remember him now. Even before he got booted off, he wasn't very nice. I seem to recall the other designers weren't too unhappy to see him go.

So, I wonder what on earth happens this season? I feel like I'm watching a murder mystery. Who's the culprit? Is it a nasty one, or the nice one you would never suspect?

When I saw Amy on the Road show, I thought, "Oh boy. I bet she'll rub somebody the wrong way before this is over." With all her experience in the industry, and the confidence of age, she's not going to take any guff off of any of the others. It's kind of funny, though. When you think about it, she's kind of a female Tim.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I did like what ChaCha was wearing on the runway it was kinda cute and very pop culture that I see in Korean/Japanese pop song culture. If his model wore that outfit I think he would still be on the show.
    No goat killers on my island.

UGH, are we going to be subjected to that "real woman" nonsense all season? ALL women are real women!

ETA: Okay, I'm watching the episode right now and am surprised at how annoyed I am by the twins. I actually liked them in the preview episode. ChaCha annoys too. Glad he's gone. I don't love Batani's dress (understatement), but clearly she can do better. We saw it in the preview episode.

I don't care how Amy's clothes look. They need to keep her on the show just for her commentary. She's hilarious. Her imitation of the twins was dead-on.

My favorites so far (and this is for talent OR personality): Deyonte, Kenya, Brandon, Sentell, Batani and Kentaro....oh, and Amy, of course.

I didn't think Shawn's outfit was so terrible. I think the elastic waist on the shorts killed it. If she'd done a zipper instead, it would have been so much better. Still, I liked the overall effect before zooming in on those shorts.
    Last edited by Critical; 08-20-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    jucamer and annemik like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

If Shawn had tailored the shorts, I agree that they would have looked better. I still wouldn't have liked the overall outfit nearly as much as I liked some of the others, but it probably would have kept her out of the bottom three. Even for elasticized shorts, those shorts were bad--the gathers on that waistband looked chunky and clunky. Like bad gym shorts. As a result, your eye was drawn there, instead of to the top, which was definitely a better design.

And I loved both of the other women designers' imitations of the twins--I'm already annoyed by the twins.
    jucamer and Babbred like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    Deyonte's winning look was my favorite and I'm thrilled he won.

I never have the correct top and bottom choices so I'm amazed I matched the judges this time. We thought they'd pick the shorts look as a top look just because that's what usually happens.

I love the change to the different size models.
    I also like that they don't get the same model every week. Working with the different body types (and personality types) from week to week will show which designers have more range and work better with a variety of individuals. BTW, I loved the way the models were allowed to comment privately on what it was like to work with their individual designers, too. Gives more insight into what the designers are like in terms of working with clients,, since the models could comment on how they felt they were being perceived, listened to etc. by their designers.
    justCoz, Babbred, annemik and 1 others like this.

I just now found this and was able to watch. I have just a few comments.

Was anybody surprised to see ChaCha go? I mean really! I was giggling at the whole thing, mainly his clothes. I hate to be mean, but the guy couldn't possibly expect to be taken seriously, when he wears stuffed animals on his widdle pink sweater and wears pale pink and blue like a widdle toddler in a nursery! WTF? Whose idea of a good time was that? I can't believe they even let him get past the front door. That had to be some kind of a joke. And since the joke was basically on him, it was kind of mean. I feel sorry for him, even though I will admit to giggling. He even spoke like a baby.

The winning garment was beautiful, and I loved the colors and the fabric. But to me, it didn't have a red carpet feel to it. More like a tropical vacation dress, or a summer dress only long.

I didn't like the pink and grey cammo and skirt, at first. When I saw it up closer, it looked good. It fit well, and seemed original. Maybe, to me, not so red carpet either, but the world is changing and I am getting old. Music award red carpet, yeah that would work. I like my glitz and glam, if I happen to be watching such things, but it was a nice outfit, especially since he lacks experience making women's clothes. He seems sweet and shy.

Now that outfit with the silver boxer shorts was the worst...so stupid looking. Why would anybody wear what looked like aluminum foil shorts with that top? Not glam at all! And that despite her using leather.

Her twin made a pretty dress, I liked the way it fit and flowed, and the colors were nice...way too soft, though. I think had she chosen different colors or fabrics of different colors, it might have had real punch. It lacked that, but was well made and pretty.

That gray number with that unfortunately placed lace was outrageous! I am surprised they didn't send two home. That was too tight on her abdomen, didn't flow at all, and that lace line down the middle of her....well, her *crack*.....why??? It was awful. Did she say that she was trying to hide the model's figure flaws or something? The judges kind of acted like she did. It's nice to see real sized women here, but i'm not sure it fits with the show being "high fashion" oriented, because the industry at large hasn't really changed its tune to that degree, or if they have, I missed it, lol. I'm not one to sit and look at fashion shows during the day, only very rarely do I watch, but in general I don't see more real sized models on the runways, still the thinner ones.

The first designer's white mermaid gown was beautiful. It fit her model so well, was classy and just glamorous. It looked very red carpet to me.

The rest, eh. The red pants and the halter-with-cape? been done before, but not with that horrible hot pink/fuchsia shoulder fluff. I think her taste may be questionable. The other red outfit was more interesting, the pants were different. Not very glam, though. And that, folks, is all I can remember from what I watched about an hour ago.

I'm glad they're back though. I love this show. It's a nice break between murder shows, and I miss it when its not on. I don't always like the judges, and Nina always looks as though something smells bad. But its good for a relaxing watch.
    sunshine3331 likes this.

CCL

Regarding ChaCha's place - fashion can be stupid, childish, inane etc. I mean, Moschino does things like release a perfume in a Windex-shaped bottle and bags with a McDonalds logo and people go nuts. There is a market for juvenile clothes with stuffed animals and pastel colours etc. But I just don't think ChaCha was a very good designer - his dress was shapeless and the ruffle was ugly.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast