Aaron Myers
Season 16 Designer

Age 23, Ridgewood, NY
#DesignerAaron

When did you realize you had designer potential?
Iíve always loved doing anything that challenges me. I took a few art classes in high school but I never thought I would make a career out of being in the creative industry. I initially went to an engineering school in Tennessee to get my general education classes out of the way since I wasnít completely sure what to do. After being there for six months, I knew that I needed to get out. I knew that I loved clothing and the power that it held, so, I ended up going to school in Chicago. I thought I would go to school to be a buyer and that was that. Slowly my love of making and designing took over. I loved the thrill and the challenge that came with fashion design. And after my first year of fashion school, I knew that I could wake up everyday and love my job.

What is your design training?
I have my BFA in fashion design from Columbia College Chicago. Before that, I hadnít really sewn. But making is totally in my blood.

Strengths as a designer?
I think my strengths lie in concept and design. I really love problem solving, so my solution generally involves design and how I can translate my point of view into my work. I also think Iím pretty quick at problem solving and being flexible. Half the battle of design is knowing how to continue working when things arenít perfect. I think my naivety and fervor in design are strengths as well. I donít have so much rigidity that I think older designers have settled into. I also think that my menswear background will allow me more freedom in design. Sometimes womenswear seems so restrictive, but I generally design feminine menswear that I think looks great on everyone. I think being apart of this cool gender-queer community will be a strength as well because silhouette and style is not as constricted.

Weaknesses as a designer?
I think one of my weaknesses is not working with too much womenswear since my mindset is wired differently. Actually, my biggest weakness is cutting fabric and patterns. I blame that for being left-handed.

How did you end up auditioning for "Project Runway"?
During school my friends and I would always joke that we would make up this wild elaborate story and all go on together. After I graduated, I promised that I would try at least once. My boss also sent me an email about it so I kind of took it as a sign. With two hours before the deadline, I made good on my promise.

Challenge you wish they'd bring back?
I personally like the idea of the menswear challenge because I think itís wild how lost everyone seems to be when it comes to a different anatomy.

Challenge you hope they don't?
I donít want a wedding challenge. I feel like everyone is so traditional when it comes to the ďidealĒ wedding. But I know I could kick some ass and challenge peopleís perspective.

What's your take on team challenges?
Itís a total toss-up. It depends on how strong-willed each contestant is. In theory, it could allow for some amazing design, but when you have two people who are just like too much, then it gets ridiculous and both people are screwed. Itís hard to trust someone youíve just met, especially when the stakes are pretty high.

Do you think you can win "Project Runway"?
Hell yes! I would not have even applied if I didnít think I could win. I totally have the drive and a dynamic perspective of what I think fashion should be. Iím here to take advantage of this opportunity and highlight what I can do.

Tour Aaronís Closet - myLifetime.com