+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 2/23 PR Junior 2 - Season Finale Show Discussion

Re: 2/23 PR Junior 2 - Season Finale Show Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by katzee View Post
    I was a bit underwhelmed by most of them. There were a few good pieces here and there. And I find that odd because during the season I really thought these kids lots of times did a way better job than the adults on the regular show, with the same amount of time. There was some pretty outstanding pieces over the course of the show. Just mostly not on the final runway.
    I've thought that about both seasons of Juniors now: they tend to do MUCH better than the adults! Wonder why - are they given more time? Are they less inhibited and more willing to take risks? Are they just more creative? Could it be the judges?

It's the reason I looked so forward to this show returning, because I was quite impressed by the kids last time. This time it was a little less impressive overall, but there were great moments. The kids definitely bring it!!
    Cootie, Babbred, sparklete and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    I've thought that about both seasons of Juniors now: they tend to do MUCH better than the adults! Wonder why - are they given more time? Are they less inhibited and more willing to take risks? Are they just more creative? Could it be the judges?

It's the reason I looked so forward to this show returning, because I was quite impressed by the kids last time. This time it was a little less impressive overall, but there were great moments. The kids definitely bring it!!
    I like it because it is mostly drama free...not back stabbing, snarky, and full of attitude. I love how supportive they are of each other and genuinely seem to like each other (minus that one team challenge...). They all seem to be happy and excited to have been picked to be on the show- none act entitled or superior to the others. The adults could take a few cues from these kids for sure!

I pick Chris over Chelsea too. I thought his looks were beautiful. Such thought went into the very first one.

I think the judges were all a flutter over the red leather dress Chelsea showed and that kind of was the end of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Okay, I just have to say that I'm darn certain that by the time I was in the tenth grade, I knew what the word "tawdry" meant. Do none of these teenagers read?

And I kinda agree that Haawaa does have something of an advantage in having gotten feedback from the judges already. Maybe when they use run-offs to figure out the final contestant, they should judge the lines completely blind, without the designers there, and just tell them later who won.

"I feel an overwhelming wave of overwhelmingness." Ack! Again, don't they read that they can't come up with a better way to express their feelings (and yes, I know they're under stress and anxious, but still....)

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I loved the girl who always said the crazy things. Was that Chelsea or Izzy? I could never tell them apart.

As for reading, these poor kids don't have time. I worked in a high school for many years, and you couldn't pay me enough to become a high school student again. Students feel such insane pressure to get into college that they're loaded up to their ears with hard classes and extracurricular activities.

Good grief, we complain about cleavage on this show, and there goes the hostess flaunting it! I would have been disgusted enough if this had been the adult PR; on this this show, it was completely inappropriate.

Welcome to the old fogey's club. I had never heard of Olivia Holt, either. Thank you for looking her up for us.

That's an interesting meditation on why the kids do better than the adults. My theory is it's because they feel less pressure. I mean, all they're winning is a scholarship to design school; they've got a while to "figure out who they are as a designer" and if this is what they really want in life. The adults, however, are more desperate. They've tasted real life and think this is their only shot to make their dreams come true. Not only is this more pressure, but they might be trying to appease the judges by creating things they think will appeal to the fashion world, i.e. show that they are marketable.

Obviously Alyssa and Georgina were there to give a not-so-subtle plug for All-Stars. Any idea when it will start and who will be on it?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

I didn't dislike the girl who made the comment about "overwhelming waves of overwhelmingness," but that particular comment was not well phrased.

I've not that much experience with high school students, but I've a ton of it with college students, including first year students. If they don't make time to read, a habit that starts much younger than high school (or ought to), no matter how many extra curricular activities or hard classes they take, they're not that likely to succeed as well as they'd like to in college, where there are going to be classes where they're expected to read, and retain, a lot. For that matter, at least some hard high school classes ought to involve reading--and really, knowing a yword like "tawdry" doesn't require that much of an advanced vocabulary, and regardless of what field those high school students aspire to, an ability to express themselves well and understand those who do is going to be crucial.

FORT Fogey

I had a different interpretation of the "tawdry" discussion. I didn't take it to be that she didn't know what the word meant ... I took it to mean that she didn't think the piece qualified to be described that way. I thought she referenced her age more to say her mind would not go there than that she didn't understand what he said.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Good grief, we complain about cleavage on this show, and there goes the hostess flaunting it! I would have been disgusted enough if this had been the adult PR; on this this show, it was completely inappropriate.
    Not only was it a plunging neckline with a bra visibly showing. the "skirt" was see-through all the way to the barely past the crotch darker fabric that created the "top."

And Tieler was nearly eliminated for a dress that had a similar top that she wore.

Makes me dislike Haawaa being in the finals even more - they showed hypocrisy denouncing his look then wearing a similar one with a bra. Would that mean if he created a quickly made bandeau he'd been fine with that look? (I have wondered why he didn't consider it).

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post

According to the show, no, they get the one day for most challenges and maybe one 2 day challenge. But maybe they are not telling us the truth on that,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123