+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 2/16 PR Junior 2 - Finale pt 1 Show Discussion

Re: 2/16 PR Junior 2 - Finale pt 1 Show Discussion

I totally agree, Tilden. Kelly's so obvious - she's pulling hard for Hawwaa, and is being convincing. They all admit she has sewing issues! At least half of them don't even like her designs! But, they're "fun" or interesting or something ... so, let her through?

Poor Tieler. Talent + high taste level = a bad thing?
    Babbred likes this.

FORT Fogey

CRAP! Haawaa's tacky circus tent gets to go forward, which means Kelly will probably fuss and carry on until she wins the thing.

Fortunately, I think it's far more likely that Tieler will have a career in fashion than Haawaa will unless she gets someone else to edit and sew her clothes for her.

Not really interested in seeing the finale collections now, as I'm pretty sure Haawaa has this in the bag, even though she's been in the bottom more than anyone else in the finale--in fact, I'm not certain about this, but she may have been in the bottom more frequently than all the rest of them put together.

And I know how snarky this sounds, but I really, really hate Haawaa's neon green lipstick. Didn't like her blue lipstick either. I don't like lipstick in colors that just make you stare at a person's mouth to the exclusion of the rest of his/her face.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle View Post
    I totally agree, Tilden. Kelly's so obvious - she's pulling hard for Hawwaa, and is being convincing. They all admit she has sewing issues! At least half of them don't even like her designs! But, they're "fun" or interesting or something ... so, let her through?

Poor Tieler. Talent + high taste level = a bad thing?
    If you're Kelly, yes, apparently. If only Tieler hadn't misstepped toward the last in the regular competition, Haawaa would never, ever have made it to the finale, no matter how much Kelly pouted and whined, however.

FORT Newbie

The clothes tonight were odd.

Not sure who would wear Haawaa's, or where they would wear it. So very costume-y, and poorly constructed. I agree that her clothes looked "juvenile"; they look more like a junior high craft project. Tielers were more wearable, but I agree the designs were too plain. The main focus of his line was the embroidery, and he didn't even do it; a professional embroiderer did. His blue sheath dress looked nice on the model, but would have looked so much more high end with different shoes. The shoes he chose, along with the pastel colors and the "lab coat" reminded me of a nurse in a hospital.

I like all kinds of clothes; elegant, casual, sparkly, athletic, etc. etc. But most women, regardless of size or age, want to look attractive in their clothing. None of these clothes tonight would make a woman look sexy, elegant, pretty or attractive. Kelly says "I would wear that", but for most women, that is hardly an endorsement. Her styling is awful, and she looks like she is always "trying so hard to be cool". And that is exactly what the clothing looked like tonight.

I guess between the two, I understand why they went with Haawaa, but.... most women wouldn't be caught wearing any of these fashions we saw tonight. That is unless fashion is now all about being odd and quirky, and nothing about wanting to wear them or looking good.

I must admit Haawaa's collection looked better than Tieler's. She went for it and actually changed up standard skirt shape a bit versus Tieler doing a plain shift dress with embroidery on it. At least his yellow outfit with the sheer overcoat looked interesting. He did it to himself.
    AcookerTV and Babbred like this.
    No goat killers on my island.

I didn't like the shoes Tieler chose to put with his designs. The first girl looked like a nurse.

I hated Hawwaa's jumpsuit. It looked horrible in so many ways!
    Funny, I liked it and it was not a crop top on a plain skirt.

I can't help but think Kelly, and maybe other judges too, like Hawwaa more for how different SHE is, and her bad designs and sewing are getting the benefit of that. She's different; a girl of color, wearing the scarves and piercings and being herself -- all things Kelly is going to want to support just because she's an original. So the out-there girl makes out-there clothes: better celebrate it and not discriminate or make her feel bad. It is reflecting more on their support of her, than her clothes.

If those designs were being made by a not-so-bold teen, I wonder if she'd have been eliminated already. And is that really fair? Is that what the competition wants to be about? Maybe so.... I just feel for the designers who are also being themselves and are talented, but penalized for not being out there enough (Molly, Tieler).

The first season seemed to celebrate design more, and Peytie definitely was not edgy or unique as a teen (pretty white girl from California?) but her clothes were unique and interesting. The others in the final weren't that bold, either, from what I remember.
    Babbred likes this.

I don't think folks should worry too much about Haawaa winning she is up against 3 other designers who have shown much better designs then hers.
    ClosetRTWatcher and Babbred like this.

I can't help but think Kelly, and maybe other judges too, like Hawwaa more for how different SHE is, and her bad designs and sewing are getting the benefit of that. She's different; a girl of color, wearing the scarves and piercings and being herself -- all things Kelly is going to want to support just because she's an original. So the out-there girl makes out-there clothes: better celebrate it and not discriminate or make her feel bad. It is reflecting more on their support of her, than her clothes.

If those designs were being made by a not-so-bold teen, I wonder if she'd have been eliminated already. And is that really fair? Is that what the competition wants to be about? Maybe so.... I just feel for the designers who are also being themselves and are talented, but penalized for not being out there enough (Molly, Tieler).

The first season seemed to celebrate design more, and Peytie definitely was not edgy or unique as a teen (pretty white girl from California?) but her clothes were unique and interesting. The others in the final weren't that bold, either, from what I remember.
    I have to agree with this- I think because Hawwaa is so different in her look, that may be swaying the judges. I had assumed her head wrap was a religious thing, but I noticed her sister wasn't wearing one. Maybe at a certain age you can decide for yourself if your're going to wear one or not? I don't know much about her culture so I'm not sure.

I also think she won by default. I had loved Tieler's looks up until he stumbled at the end, but these finale looks weren't inspired. I think the construction was great and there certainly is a market for them, but they weren't terribly designed. As someone above said (as well as Tim), he added embroidery (that he didn't do) to a shift dress or pant suit and tried to pass it off as a 'design'. It was too simple, which is unfortunate as I really liked his earlier designs and I liked him a lot as well. I'm sure he will make it- he just needs some time.
    Babbred likes this.

FORT Fan

For me, NYC, Milan and Paris runway shows have always been "theater of the absurd". None of the clothes are really meant to be worn as presented, with perhaps the exception of evening gowns. What they show is a "take off" point for what ends up in boutiques, shops and mainstream department stores.
    Haawaa's are that. Tieler's were not. You could buy his collection at Macy's. PS. I was a retail buyer for 10 years.
    AcookerTV, Babbred and woodiedog like this.
    Trust Me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast