This is a recap thread for each episode. Please use the individual episode discussion threads to comment on the shows.
Week 1: There is No “I” in Team
Season 11 returns with a twist that throws 16 eager new designers into a panic when they discover they will be participating in the series first-ever "Teams Edition."
Challenge: In the premiere episode, the designers will have New York as their inspiration in creating their garments.
Budget: $1,200 per team, to be divided between the designers however they like
* One team names themselves “Keeping it Real”.
They get to view NYC from afar (by boat) to get inspiration.
Their team members are:
Amanda Valentine* The other team names themselves “The Dream Team”.
Joseph Aaron Segal
They get to view NYC from above (from the roof of Atlas apartments).
Their members are:
Benjamin Mach* Patricia is Native American and her native name is Water Lily.
Michelle Leshiak Franklin
Tu Suthiwat Nakchat
* Layana is from Brazil.
* Benjamin Mach is from Australia.
* Kate has a bridal business.
* Amanda is the sister of James Valentine, the lead guitarist of Maroon 5.
* Tu was a Buddhist monk in Thailand before leaving to pursue fashion and dance fabulously.
* Cindy owns a funeral home. She recently graduated from design school and was excited to get her business going.
* Instead of giving the designers individual critiques, Tim meets with each group at a time and moderates, participates and facilitates while they critique each other.
* Keeping It Real worked well together and supported their team. Even the Dream Team noticed how they worked together and worried: would their independent process come back to bite them in the butt?
* The Dream Team begins to struggle when they realize that Emily hasn’t planned her design well with the time constraints. No one wants to help her, not realizing that it will affect the entire team. At the last minute, Cindy offers to help Emily complete a really awful bolero jacket over a terrible halter top and skirt.
* Team Keeping It Real walked first, then team Dream Team. Each model walked individually and then all eight of the models walked together for each team.
Guest judges: Christian Siriano
Top 3: Daniel Esquivel, Patricia Michaels, Richard Hallmarq
Winner: Daniel Esquival
Bottom 3: Cindy Marlatt, Emily Pollard, James Martinez
Eliminated: Emily Pollard
Next week: Uniforms for a social club