+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: 9/26 - PR12 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 9/26 - PR12 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Alexandria was safe by some fluke. Her get up was terrible. The judges give them a number score so she must have been safe by one point.

I loved Helen's two piece! I could see a young actress wearing that to a movie red carpet. I thought it was very cute. When I first saw her print I had no hope, very odd.

This is one of my favorite challenges; it wasn't good this season though. The winners in the past have made smaller prints. Why so big? Alexander allowed himself to be stumped with a cake and thought he had to use the one he was given. Mistake. Make the print you think can win and spin it into your supposed inspiration. Helen was not called out on her interpretation, which had nothing to do with her artist. Using a print on the bottom (skirt/pants) is the way to go. Keep the top simple and in a solid color. They all know this challenge will be part of the show, come prepared.

They praised Jason's dress way too much for what it was. He bought a tube and placed it on his model. He did make the top overlay but come on. I like Jason so I am glad the loved it.

I would design the garment first and then make the print.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    They praised Jason's dress way too much for what it was. He bought a tube and placed it on his model. He did make the top overlay but come on. I like Jason so I am glad the loved it.

I would design the garment first and then make the print.
    Do you mean Bradon?? There is no Jason on the show.

I really liked the cut of Bradon's dress. The top was something I hadn't seen before and it looked great on his model. And I've never seen a bomber jacket done with a print. I was dubious when he was describing it before he made it but after it was done, I liked it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post

I really liked the cut of Bradon's dress. The top was something I hadn't seen before and it looked great on his model. And I've never seen a bomber jacket done with a print. I was dubious when he was describing it before he made it but after it was done, I liked it.
    Yes I did mean Brandon. A neighbor boy came to the door just before I posted and his name is Jason. Remember Froggy The Gremlin in Andy's Gang? Froggy made me say that! Andy's Gang - Pasta Fazooli vs. Froggy the Gremlin - Tuba - YouTube

I liked the dress, too and the entire outfit. Just thought they over did the praise on the body of the dress itself.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post

The dress might not work for everyone, but I think that jacket is immensely marketable. It could look good in a variety of sizes, and it could appeal to a fairly wide age range as well. I could see teenagers wanting it, but it also wouldn't be out of place on someone in her thirties. Heck, I'm past my thirties, and I'd at least try it on.
    jucamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    The dress might not work for everyone, but I think that jacket is immensely marketable. It could look good in a variety of sizes, and it could appeal to a fairly wide age range as well. I could see teenagers wanting it, but it also wouldn't be out of place on someone in her thirties. Heck, I'm past my thirties, and I'd at least try it on.
    I agree on Braden's dress not being for everyone but the jacket was phenominal. I think if he had sewn the dress instead of doing a tube with nice cuts here and there (and stitched) I think he may have beaten Dom myself (even with a similar created pattern used from another challenge).

And again, I'm still confused as to why Alexandria is still there - even that winner from Project Accessories' hideous jewelry is more stylish than that getup was - well frankly ANY of them.
    jucamer likes this.

I have a general question about this fabric design challenge. When the designers are ordering their prints, do they get to say anything about the kind of fabric it gets printed on? In the past it has always struck me that the printed fabric looks quite stiff and I thought it may have influenced what they could do with it. For example, Justin could not have continued his print into the flowy skirt of his dress because it was not a flowy fabric. During the close-up review of the dresses, I thought I heard the judges comment about the material in a way that made it sound like *maybe* the designers had some influence on the material but I may have misheard or it could have been edited strangely. Does anyone have any insight into this?

My thoughts on the designs:

Alexander - I thought his dress construction was good. Even the cross might not have been so bad if it had been more subtle...and in another challenge. I do agree that the cake inspiration was missing.

Alexandria - Oh my. I had forgotten this outfit until I saw the photos posted in this thread. Her outfit really looked trashy. The proportions from the front look absurd. Whatever material she used for the tank underneath is really bad. She made her model look like she has belly fat pooching at the top of the skirt. How is that even possible!?

Bradon - Loved this one. I think it is miles more wearable than Dom's outfit. He should have won.

Dom - I think it's cute, but for some reason it looks a little bulky. Where exactly would a person wear this dress?

Helen - Yuck. Top three, seriously?? I agree with the poster that said it looks like a dress a child would make for a Barbie. There is nothing interesting about this dress and the print looks juvenille. I don't get the judges raving about how she used off-white along with her fabric - big whoop. Can I also just add that I HATE Helen's fingernails. Filing them into points doesn't make you edgy!

Justin - I liked his dress when it came down the runway, but the up-close shots really did show that there were some serious construction issues where the top and bottom connected. Although, I didn't have any issues with the fabric or flow of the bottom half like the judges seemed to.

Kate - Wow. That outfit was really very ugly. I didn't think she should have been eliminated though. I didn't like her in her original season, but she has grown on me over this season. I was thinking she would make it to the final 3.

ETA: Alexandria is European and used to model. Maybe she and Heidi have a connection outside the show? Otherwise I am at a loss as to why she gets through week after week with both mediocre and horrendous (notably lacking good) designs...
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 09-30-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Yes I did mean Brandon. A neighbor boy came to the door just before I posted and his name is Jason. Remember Froggy The Gremlin in Andy's Gang? Froggy made me say that! Andy's Gang - Pasta Fazooli vs. Froggy the Gremlin - Tuba - YouTube

I liked the dress, too and the entire outfit. Just thought they over did the praise on the body of the dress itself.
    Pluck your magic twanger, Froggy!
    Shoepie likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

I wad dumbfounded when i heard alexandria was safe. How can she be safe with that trash she designed. I feel bad for kate. But she completely missed it this challenge.

I think dom because she actually did more with the print. Brandon made it seem like he design the whole dress, but just the jacket.

You know, I agree Kate's dress was horrible. She just laid a big egg with that one. But she's young and I think at times it shows in her work. My problem with the whole thing is that this was just about the only bad design she did. I think you could accurately say Bradon is the only one who has been fairly consistent with good design. The rest have all laid eggs. More eggs than Kate did. I find it really unfair that they sent her home after one bad design when others were kept despite laying repetitive eggs. Ok I'm done with the egg comments. But truly, if the show is about finding the best designer, it should reflect what they have done in the whole time period they have been there, not based episode to episode. If they simply sent home the creator of the worst design every elimination, some really good designers would go early and what would be left? Makes more sense to me to eliminate somebody who has consistently done poorly, not somebody who is usually in the top three. And they gave incredible leeway to some pretty undeserving work. I mean, if I could talk to those judges I would ask them if the point is to eliminate people based upon the worst design that episode, or if they consider prior work and attempt to send home the person who has done most poorly overall. i wonder what kind of an answer I would get?

This was just bloody unfair. And it stunk even more that people like Ken and Alexandria, two of the worst, were allowed to hang around so long. Also it stunk that Helen's work was largely overrated. I didn't even particularly believe Nina when she raved about Helen's work, calling it "fabulous"...in all actuality it was drab, nothing fabulous there. Seemed like Nina's heart was not really there. And what about Heidi? let's recall how she loved those poopy pants from Alexandria, but she disliked a dress Kate made, saying it made the model look pregnant! She did not look pregnant. It was not a perfect creation, but it was good, and what shape does she think it gives the body to wear those horrible pants? I think that she is going with what she thinks could be called "cool", which is stuff that in truth would better just be described as "weird". If you took a look at her line for active wear, you saw that what Helen designed and even the poopy pants outfit fit in better with the sort of sloppy look of Heidi's line. Kates was best but had none of the messy look most of Heidi's other work which they showed, had. Kate's outfit was in a sense too neat looking and well made to fit in. But it looked better than Heidi's stuff. I think the judges are trying too hard to pick what they think could be referred to as "cool" or "new and different" and are making some bad choices. Or else there's favoritism like mad. Or both.

I definitely think there's a rat in Denmark. Or something like that.

FORT Fogey

you said it all well. I think there is more behind the scene. after all , it is a reality tv.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast