+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 4/18 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 4/18 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I agree but would add Dimitry to the list. I thought he absolutely deserved his win.
    I CANNOT believe I forgot Dimitry. You talk about a fellow who knew how to be creative on these crazy time frames. That floating jacket was probably by far my favorite - though a grumpy Mondo sure was a sourpuss there. It was a time where the pattern created was enhanced by the rest of the outfit.

Then again - it's been a long few months... and sadly we had the faux winner that was Anthony Ryan IMHO that took away that limelight.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Patricia's Smurf Headpiece. I don't know why the judges are going ga ga over this piece. Lots of designers design "hats" also known as "fasinators" to add drama to a runway show and they are not intended to be worn in "real life". While I personally think the headpiece is kinda cure and fun I would not wear it, but it adds a bit of fun and whimsy to the outfit. I do think Patricia over styles her outfits. The eagle feather print dress would look find without the sequin necklace and just with the scarf or even without the scarf and maybe with a pair of earrings.
    If the dress with the eagle feather scarf had been a solid color, you could have seen the scarf. Similarly, if there weren't a scarf, jewelry etc., you could have seen the skirt. But the whole thing was way too busy. I didn't even notice how nice the scarf was until it was pulled slightly away from the rest of the outfit, so it could be seen clearly. I actually preferred it to the skirt, because of the movement of the material on which it was printed. In fact, it was the one thing she designed that I truly liked and which, I suspect, would have been snapped up by a lot of customers who could combine it with any number of outfits. But I wouldn't have even seen it had it not been isolated for a moment.

Similarly, if she hadn't used the stupid Seussical hat, maybe I might have paid more attention to the dress. That hat just bounced up and down way too much and made me look at the model's head instead of the dress. From what I saw of the dress, however, it looked like a combination of a flapper style with a traditional jingle dress, and the idea of that and a Seussical hat....well, I guess the color was pretty. But aside from that, it was a mess. And it really didn't go with the rest of her mini-collection at all.

I still really don't like Patricia's things. I think she should have been eliminated long ago. And there is no situation where a Dr. Seuss hat belongs in a fashion show unless it is children's clothing perhaps. Nina is right to question her taste and the fact she even belongs at fashion week. Her things look like craft projects and I think she makes them look that way so she can say she is doing something different and new, which it is but not in a good way. I couldn't believe how much Stanley had unfinished and then how dowdy he made his things. And he should have been eliminated just for making that skinny redhead model look chubby in the gold dress. I was most disappointed with Daniel's looks. I was rooting for him and also Michelle to be in the final from the beginning. Where were some of the looks he showed Tim? Why not show that neat leather jacket and some of the looks with red and cream. The only thing I didn't like in that collection was the blue coat that belongs on a senior citizen. I am a huge fan of Dali, so I was very excited to see a collection inspired by him, so it was a huge letdown to see those looks with the stingray. (where the hell did that inspiration come from?) He did show by exiting what a class act he was. I was very sorry to see him go.
    Last edited by Starbucks880; 04-20-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I agree with you about older styles. They have more glamour about them and are more flattering in general I think. As I've said before, some of my favorite designs are little Chanel suits....timeless and classy. So I'm old too. I've always preferred the more glamorous evening wear designs on this show over the "modern/hip/young" (read: weird) designs. I mean, take for example that very young designer who won an early season. I think his name was Daniel? Please correct me if i'm wrong, but he used the word "fierce" a lot. lol. Now, he was without a doubt a talented young person, but some of the stuff he designed would not look good on anybody who wasn't built like his model! I didn't even think on her it was particularly "wearable". I guess the judges look for innovation and artistic, "different" designs, but I thought that was supposed to be tempered with an eye towards it being actually wearable. I don't know how wearable some of the designs actually are.

I'm not so sure that having more time would help Patricia to create better designs. I think she's got challenges with shapes and colors.

You're thinking of Christian Siriano. To me, he has been one of the most talented designers this show has had and I just love his personality. I know I could never wear any of his clothes - but they are gorgeous. He has dressed an number of red carpet events recently - I'm happy for him. I'm up there in age as well (53) and do agree with you about the evening wear designs - those are my favorite

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Why is everyone insistent that the winner will be a fake? All three tried out for the show and all three were deemed worthy to compete.

At final 5, it could have been Patricia as well as Michelle on the edge of aufdom. Yes, Heidi fought for Patricia to continue to show because she thought her designs were more original than Michelle's up to that point. Michelle was given a chance to continue because Nina couldn't give her whole hearted stamp of approval to Patricia continuing. That was a compromise, not propelling a fake to the finals. Bad choices in design by Layana and bad choices in presentation by Richard unfortunately sent them home. Just because they made bad choices and are not in the finals does not mean that any of the three finalists are fake. They all struggled with the same challenges and suffered the same exhaustion. Each are worthy of a runway show, and a possible win.
    dzigner and Photobabe like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

That is why I am glad the last 8 eliminated designers did show at Fashion Week and you can see their collections on that thread.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Ladies, I'm so glad we're having this conversation. I am to the point of wanting to tear my hair out. As I posted earlier, every episode it's always the same buzzwords. Your design isn't "hip/edgy/youthful/fashion forward." Yawn. Me personally, I much prefer the old days of the 50's and 60's, when women dressed for glamor. I love looking at pictures of Hollywood starlets back then. I also love browsing a vintage store that we have in our historic downtown area. Hats...gloves...little purses...classic dresses. I'd far rather look like Jackie O than Michelle any day.
    Me too! What I like about older fashion is that people took time and consideration to put together an outfit. I truly dislike the trend now to just wear whatever.....especially if it's comfortable, like wearing pj's out to shop/eat. People cared about how they presented themselves. In my mind, Michelle tends to follow either the more casual/sloppy fashion or costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Speaking of which, I laughed when Zac called one of Michelle's outfits "Steampunk". That's what I thought! And it's ironic, because I first learned about that movement from this show. In a previous season, Kors had labeled another designer's work that way, and so I ran to find out what the heck he was talking about. That kind of fashion is great at a sci-fi convention but not on the runway.
    I, also, first learned about Steampunk in recent years. I'm not bothered by it at all because although it's different than most people's style, (I like, as I stated above) that thought and consideration is given to what they wear. They take pride in how they present themselves.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880 View Post
    I still really don't like Patricia's things. I think she should have been eliminated long ago. And there is no situation where a Dr. Seuss hat belongs in a fashion show unless it is children's clothing perhaps. Nina is right to question her taste and the fact she even belongs at fashion week. Her things look like craft projects and I think she makes them look that way so she can say she is doing something different and new, which it is but not in a good way. I couldn't believe how much Stanley had unfinished and then how dowdy he made his things. And he should have been eliminated just for making that skinny redhead model look chubby in the gold dress. I was most disappointed with Daniel's looks. I was rooting for him and also Michelle to be in the final from the beginning. Where were some of the looks he showed Tim? Why not show that neat leather jacket and some of the looks with red and cream. The only thing I didn't like in that collection was the blue coat that belongs on a senior citizen. I am a huge fan of Dali, so I was very excited to see a collection inspired by him, so it was a huge letdown to see those looks with the stingray. (where the hell did that inspiration come from?) He did show by exiting what a class act he was. I was very sorry to see him go.
    Patricia's things do look "crafty"--and not in a good way. There are wonderful things that are handicrafts and can be included in designs: quilting, embroidery, hand-painted materials, jewelry etc. But Patricia's things aren't that wonderful, and sometimes I wonder if the judges think they're fighting to bring a new Native American outlook to the fashion world, and in the midst of congratulating themselves for doing that, they're not looking closely enough at her work. The trouble is, she's just not that talented. I'm all for Native American artists. My walls are covered with things I've purchased directly from artists from a variety of tribes, and I have a number of accessories purchased from them as well. I live in a city that has a major Native American arts show every fall, and I've been to Native American art shows elsewhere. From what I've seen, Patricia's work just isn't that special--and she really needs to edit her styles.

Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Because she's on PR? She's specifically mentioned as being on PR--and all three articles are basically about the same boutique. I also think that the second article that shows pieces from other artists shows work that is better than hers. Porcupine quillwork, for instance, is extremely difficult to do well, and though the piece they show is small, and it's difficult to tell from a photo, it seems to be of reasonable quality. The other artists in the photos don't appear to over-accessorize or indulge in Seussical hats either.

And those articles might be considered a big deal to places like CNN that rarely cover Native American news, but that doesn't mean that the idea that Native American art is seen as a possible way to help with the dire economic situations on a lot of reservations is exactly news to everyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast