+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 4/18 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 4/18 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Oh, I finally watched the episode from the beginning and thought oh wow, Daniel has a nice collection, it has creams and reds and some really great jackets and then on the runway I think what happened, why is he showing what he did? It is almost as if he self sabotaged. I do agree with Nina if you show an all black collection you need to see shape and texture else all you see is all a "big black hole". I do remember both Christian and Mondo having a lot of black pieces but they had great textures and that makes a big difference. I also wonder if what the judges see on the runway translates differently to us viewers. Do they see the textures and patterns of the black fabric that we the viewers just can't see through a tv screen? One of the ladies I work with wears black, with a bit of white and grey thrown in. But I luv how she wears her clothes. The proportions, the different lengths and textures make it all interesting and fun vs when I watch Tabatha on Bravo's Tabatha Takes Over who also wears all black but all her pieces seem the same weight and texture and so seem very bland to me.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    You could be right. I didn't see those seasons. I have only seen the seasons that are repeated as marathons on Style and then this one. I wish they would repeat some of those other seasons as marathons, I would love to see them.

I frankly have a bit of trouble imagining that anybody could have made it far on the show with designs that are worse than Patricia's. I would agree that the other two deserve to be in the finals, though. And the team concept should be abolished...forever!
    Wendy Pepper from the first season was really REALLY bad (candy bikini a very good example),

Casanova - who I adored and has a wonderful personality and CAN design - his first outfit was really bad and almost got him eliminated (he barely had an outfit that stayed together),

Ping - her first outfit was nothing more than bunches of fabric bundled together, her second one - muslin challenge - she had the poor girls walking down and back on the runway where you got a very good look at the model's bare tuchus. (If you search this designer's outfits - you will DEFINITELY see why I say Patricia isn't nearly as bad).

Gretchen - who won Mondo's first season - was really dated as I've mentioned.

TO be fair, really the only designers they've had in recent seasons that I loved the designs AND won were Seth Aaron, Mondo (though his case round two), and Anya. Including the two Bravo designers who made it to the finals - Austin Scarlett, and Uli (who was robbed IMHO when they basically coronated AR last season), it's really only 5 out of maybe 5-6 seasons on Lifetime, and here, TWO of these folks were Bravo contestants.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I've been catching up on some reading on this season and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who isn't a Michelle fan. I just don't get what the judges see in her. She is like one of those people that is trying way too hard to be cool, and thinks way too highly of herself. And, her egocentric views prevent her from taking any constructive criticism because anything the judges say means "they don't get it!" Also, her attitude when everyone went out of country and she cried like a baby, then how she talked about going "to a dark place" when she got home because of how hard the criticism had been for her. oh brother...
    Bearcata and Babbred like this.

I was sorry to see Daniel go.....seemed like such a great guy and was very good at a lot of the things he created.
    Michelle's style is youthful, edgy and different but like Zac said it does resemble Steam punk a lot. But she does have a definite style and a not very nice personality. For someone who doesn't like hugs, she sure did a lot of it in this episode and last.
    Stanley's designs were dull and old fashioned.....I could see Grace Kelly wearing the gold dress in 1956....only we're a long way from 1956.
    I was hoping he would be eliminated instead of Daniel.
    I often wondered if Patricia was given enough time could she produce something wonderful. And I think that is the case here. Although time management is one of her worst problems. But she is definitely talented, different and new. Loved that cape with the horse hair.
    I wouldn't mind if she won the whole thing but I think they want Michelle to win. I wasn't happy that she got a "second chance," unlike others who were eliminated.
    Michelle is a good designer but I don't think she's the best. To me, she tends to be a little too costume-y.

To be fair, really the only designers they've had in recent seasons that I loved the designs AND won were Seth Aaron, Mondo (though his case round two), and Anya. Including the two Bravo designers who made it to the finals - Austin Scarlett, and Uli (who was robbed IMHO when they basically coronated AR last season), it's really only 5 out of maybe 5-6 seasons on Lifetime, and here, TWO of these folks were Bravo contestants.
    I agree but would add Dimitry to the list. I thought he absolutely deserved his win.
    Florimel, jadewarlock and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I don't think you're weird at all! I'm of a mature age, shall we say, and I too get tired of hearing how the designs need to be young. I see many women my age and older who dress nicely, and wear things that are stylish. It's not like everybody over say, 45, suddenly requires only sweats and sneakers in their wardrobes! Personally, I dress very casually because I am not out in public very much and let's face it, I'm not going to dress up to impress myself and my dog. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate fashionable clothing on other ladies whose lives are different from mine. In my 30's, the job I had dictated that I be something of a fashion plate, lol....so I rolled like that back then. I preferred my dresses a bit shorter than what Stanley usually does, because I have nice legs and I'm short. It makes me look taller. I can appreciate a mini skirt on some women, but let's face it, not everybody should wear them. Just above the knee is a good length for most; below it can be problematic for some.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I loved the last few dresses in Stanley's collection.

Ladies, I'm so glad we're having this conversation. I am to the point of wanting to tear my hair out. As I posted earlier, every episode it's always the same buzzwords. Your design isn't "hip/edgy/youthful/fashion forward." Yawn. Me personally, I much prefer the old days of the 50's and 60's, when women dressed for glamor. I love looking at pictures of Hollywood starlets back then. I also love browsing a vintage store that we have in our historic downtown area. Hats...gloves...little purses...classic dresses. I'd far rather look like Jackie O than Michelle any day. As for the age thing, good grief almighty. My grandmother died when she was 90+, and she was one of the most stylish women I knew. Never stepped out of the house without wearing trousers creased to a knife edge, a nice blouse, pantyhose, and dress shoes. Again, maybe it's because I'm older, but I would rather look classically elegant than "hip and edgy" while wearing Michelle's costumey designs. That's also why I loved Stanley's designs. They fit my "aesthetic" much more.

Speaking of which, I laughed when Zac called one of Michelle's outfits "Steampunk". That's what I thought! And it's ironic, because I first learned about that movement from this show. In a previous season, Kors had labeled another designer's work that way, and so I ran to find out what the heck he was talking about. That kind of fashion is great at a sci-fi convention but not on the runway.

Liked Patricia's stuff, but I thought the blue wig was just bizarre. What the heck was that all about? Talk about sci-fi.

Daniel...Daniel...Daniel. That's interesting what somebody said here about self-sabotage. I wonder if subconsciously he felt out of place, especially beside Michelle, and so didn't put his best foot forward? I mean, how else to explain his 180 degree turnaround? What he talked about, Dali and the universe, that was so cool. I love Dali and the universe, so I was looking forward so much to seeing him present his clothes. How could you go from funky and cool and beautiful to....that? His outfit with the hat was nice, but I can't remember the other two. As Nina said, just a big black hole. I think that's one of the biggest disappointments I've seen on this show in a while.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I agree with you about older styles. They have more glamour about them and are more flattering in general I think. As I've said before, some of my favorite designs are little Chanel suits....timeless and classy. So I'm old too. I've always preferred the more glamorous evening wear designs on this show over the "modern/hip/young" (read: weird) designs. I mean, take for example that very young designer who won an early season. I think his name was Daniel? Please correct me if i'm wrong, but he used the word "fierce" a lot. lol. Now, he was without a doubt a talented young person, but some of the stuff he designed would not look good on anybody who wasn't built like his model! I didn't even think on her it was particularly "wearable". I guess the judges look for innovation and artistic, "different" designs, but I thought that was supposed to be tempered with an eye towards it being actually wearable. I don't know how wearable some of the designs actually are.

I'm not so sure that having more time would help Patricia to create better designs. I think she's got challenges with shapes and colors.
    Babbred likes this.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Once again Nina 'The Voice of Reason' Garcia cuts through the ridiculously over-the-top Patricia love, and exposes the collection for what it is. Meh! (I disagree with Nina and Heidi on the Smurf headdress. I thought it worked with that beautiful dress.) Still, I wonder if it might be more fun to watch what will probably be a train wreck of a collection from Patricia rather than Daniel's collection. Even with the inclusion of Daniel's more colorful looks.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't get Patricia. No way on earth would I ever wear anything she has made let alone wear horse butt! I agree with Nina, it looked like hair swatches. I don't know why Daniel didn't show one of those other jackets he created and some pop of color. While I would wear everything Stanley showed it would have had to be shortened BIG TIME!
    I've seen Lakota jewelry made out of horse hair, and it's generally much smaller pieces and way more subtle. It might not even be immediately apparent that it is horse hair (and it wouldn't have to come from the tail--it could come from the mane as well, at least for the smaller jewelry pieces). What I've seen, however, is made with variations of natural color and braided, as opposed to just big hanks of one bleached out color horse hair with a single knot at the top. In fact, it confused me when Patricia lamented that she could have dyed it black. Geez, it's not like black isn't a color horse hair comes in--she didn't have to use the color she did.

Patricia's Smurf Headpiece. I don't know why the judges are going ga ga over this piece. Lots of designers design "hats" also known as "fasinators" to add drama to a runway show and they are not intended to be worn in "real life". While I personally think the headpiece is kinda cure and fun I would not wear it, but it adds a bit of fun and whimsy to the outfit. I do think Patricia over styles her outfits. The eagle feather print dress would look find without the sequin necklace and just with the scarf or even without the scarf and maybe with a pair of earrings.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast