+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 4/11 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 4/11 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I really don't mind Nina. I appreciate her honesty when some of the other judges are valiantly searching for something positive to say to avoid hurt feelings when a designer presents something truly ghastly. I think more buyers in the fashion industry will be like Nina so the designers need to develop a spine and not be coddled into thinking everything they create is wonderful.
    And admittedly this is exactly why I was pissed Michelle got the second chance - she did NOT obey what the client (who happens to head Marie Claire magazine) wanted in the challenge, so she should've been ousted. Nina is a little bit fairer to Patricia though, because while she is harsh about some of Patricia's designs (the MC challenge legitimately), she is not ugly about it. Huge difference between honesty and brutality, and at least Nina shows restraint and knows to ONLY use the ugly side of her opinion when needed (again the aforementioned Michelle incident).

Heidi represents the artistic side of fashion, where the designers are creating outfits to express themselves and show their point of view. Nina represents the business side of fashion, where clients are looking for fashions that will represent them and their point of view. A designer can be incredibly original and have a unique point of view but if that look doesn't resonate with buyers, if no one understands it and wants to spend money to wear it themselves, it's a failure from a business point of view.
    Given there are a lot of runways shows that are artistic, this is such a fine line to draw. We've had winners in both categories, so it makes it harder to judge. I personally would rather them decide to have all creative designers or all ready to wear designers per season so they can compare apples to apples - with the occasional challenge that IS the opposite of what they design to try and challenge them to expand their horizons.

It's great that this show keeps the designers mindful of both halves of the equation. They can't get so stuck on their own ideas that they create unsellable fashions or they'll have to find another way to make money while doing fashion on the side. If they want to make fashion their profession, they should listen to what Nina tells them and use that information to make themselves more marketable.
    Which is what I'm getting from most of the designers.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    That's a good point, Kip. In that audition episode I could swear the designers were better than they have been on the show. I remember thinking when they announced the team thing, "Oh, crud. I wonder if that's going to suck the creativity out of these designers?" Yep, it did.

The judges should win Emmy's for their acting in this last episode. That crud that Michelle sent down was wonderful? Seriously? Somebody called her skirt an Army skirt. My dad was in the Army, and yep, that just about nails it. Maybe that cashmere looked expensive in person, because on the TV it just looked like dull gray flannel. And that bib. A bib? Really? That thing reminded me of those changing mats you put down for a baby. In fact, I believe somebody alluded to bodily functions in describing it here. Yep, again, that's what I thought.

I was most ticked off at Stanley, though. I used to live in England and...monastic? Really? Seriously? Stanley, England hasn't looked monastic in 500 years!
    Oh my gosh. I just croaked when he sent that hideous outfit down the runway. He was right about monastic. The last time I saw an outfit like his, it was worn by a bunch of nuns in an ecumenical Good Friday procession that I participated in. As Charlie Brown would say, "Good grief."

A word about Patricia. I haven't liked all of her outfits, either. However, I wish her well because, as an artist myself, I appreciate how she's different. "Hip...edgy....young/youthful....modern....sexy.... fashion forward" Yawn, yawn. Every week the designers try to do the same thing and hear the same buzzwords from the judges. I like how Patricia marches to the beat of her own drum. If people don't want to buy her stuff, then that's fine. But I would.
    Excellent, EXCELLENT post!

99.9% of what you said, ITA with!!!!!

Plus, a lot of it --- the Michelle parts, in particlar! --- had me ROFLMFAO!!!

I DO love a good smackdown!!!!!!!!!!!!

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I think we all agree that there is something "fishy" about them giving Michelle a second chance. I've seen other designers on previous shows that produced better fashion than her presentations and they were eliminated. She's not that great so why?
    I think they view her as edgy, young-thinking, contemporary, outside the box, youth and tattoos, etc etc etc....I think it's for what she represents compared to the other designers.
    They also see potential in Patricia, who's very different and we can also throw in Native American for added glamor.
    They see enough talent in them and have the added bonus of being New and Improved!
    I think I have become very cynical about reality shows.
    Babbred likes this.

I keep wondering if part of the problem this season, in addition to the stupid team concept, is time. The designs just seem so poorly conceived and made for the most part. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention in the past, or maybe they are cutting in to their day by starting later or having the runway earlier or something, or maybe I'm just looking for some excuse why everyone seems so bad this year...are they giving them less time or harder challenges or are they all truly just that bad?
    Dragonlady and Babbred like this.

I've wondered that myself. They looked so good in the auditions. Have they gone downhill because of the time/team thing?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I've wondered that myself. They looked so good in the auditions. Have they gone downhill because of the time/team thing?
    I think it's more the team thing - where you have to share time essentially on a garment, than the time. We've seen a HUGE jump in quality of garment since they went to the individuals (which as someone mentioned was going to happen anyway so this teams bit was very stupid).

Sure, their quality is still weaker because of the time issue, but teams sap time, energy and worst of all creativity when you have two conflicting designers (i.e. Patricia and Richard - whom I still feel sabotaged her intentionally that challenge the week after he was eliminated).
    Babbred likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567