+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 2/14 - PR11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 2/14 - PR11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    It really bugged me that they referred to Patricia's as "Pow Wow chic" and that she seemed to be flattered by that, unless she was just being polite. Anyone who's ever seen real pow wow costumes knows how much careful work goes into good ones--and the bead and quill work is done by hand. That dress was not Pow Wow chic. It would be a sorry sight next to a really fine "chic" Pow Wow dress.
    Thanks, Tilden.
    I heard the remark but didn't give it much thought..altho wondered if anyone would think it racist...
    but reading your post made me Google Pow Wow clothing....and all I can say is Amazing!
    Really beautifully made clothing. Whoever made that remark must have thought he/she (?) sounded smart/hip. Joke's not them!
    This time Patricia's design was not good at all. Surprised me because before, she had some really neat and interesting designs...things we've never seen before and to me, that's what makes a designer really stand out.

Well, while I'm waiting for this week's episode, I thought I would comment on last week's.

I attended university in Washington State, which has a strong Native American presence. Accordingly, my university would host a pow-wow every year. All I can say is Wow. If you ever have the chance to attend one, then do. They're incredible. I personally think the elaborate costumes they wear should count as couture. I mean, they must take days or even weeks of hand sewing to create, and they're beautiful.

Patricia's "outfit" was nothing remotely like that. It was a carpet of flowers, more like "hippie chic" than "pow wow chic". If a client of Patricia's wears that outfit to a pow wow, then the Natives will laugh that person to shame. Theyll also probably make a derogatory remark about clueless white people.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I attended university in Washington State, which has a strong Native American presence. Accordingly, my university would host a pow-wow every year. All I can say is Wow. If you ever have the chance to attend one, then do. They're incredible. I personally think the elaborate costumes they wear should count as couture. I mean, they must take days or even weeks of hand sewing to create, and they're beautiful.
    Very cool, Babbred.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I can see why Joe went home. The others all had a specific decade to deal with, and he had the future, which gave him all kinds of room for personal interpretation, which should have been an advantage, and he wasted that advantage. Really, I don't know why they just didn't have him do a 1940s dress and start with that era instead of the 1950s, instead of giving him something as vague as the "future," which really didn't match their decades idea at all. Heck, they could have given him the 2000s too.

Remember they didn't actually come up with the decades theme until after the dresses were made. Tim said they were incohesive and someone thought to tie them together with the decades. O can't believe the judges bought it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234