+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 1/31 PR11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 1/31 PR11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

See my post last week about "individuals and creativity". I couldn't agree with you more.
    Babbred, I missed that and I regret it. One of my tiny sand in the bed moments is about posting something only to see someone else stating the same thing without quoting. Not saying you feel this way, I do though. I often want to say "is there an echo in here or are you just too lazy to read the posts."

A deep bow for agreeing with me.
    cubsfan55 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Thanks cubsfan, we are on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Babbred, I missed that and I regret it. One of my tiny sand in the bed moments is about posting something only to see someone else stating the same thing without quoting. Not saying you feel this way, I do though. I often want to say "is there an echo in here or are you just too lazy to read the posts."

A deep bow for agreeing with me.
    No wonder you didn't see it. I put it in the wrong thread.

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...4th-9pm-4.html

I can't remember the designer's names yet. However, I like the "geek chic" one. I totally admit I'm biased, though, since I was and am a total geek!

As for the show itself, I was pleasantly surprised that everybody worked well together. However, we're already seeing the downside of groups in the Bottom 3. Didn't at least two of them, the ones almost eliminated, say it was because the group had told them to modify their original design? And that one woman [Patricia?] made the exact same mistake Hivy did in the All-Stars, of lengthening a print that should have been chopped off. Sheesh.

Also, I like what one designer said. A lousy designer could ride on the coat tails of a few better ones if their team wins, and vice versa, so how fair is that?

And Tim, I love you, but I have to disagree on this one. I saw this book last year that said the corporate groupthink is actually lousy for productivity. Not only that, the author said, but true innovation usually comes when the inspired person (artist, inventor) is left alone to create by themselves. She gave as the classic example Steve Jobs, but that made me think of this show. Yes, real world designers have to work with other people. Of course they do. Somebody has to do the grunt work of actually producing the dress and managing the shows! However, the actual design still must come from the designer. They are the ones with the vision for each dress and their overall brand/line/collection. In that sense, they are artists. And I'm sorry, but an artist should be left alone to create.

And no hard feelings. I was just saying I support you.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I for one am loving the team concept. When all the legal tussle was going on about Project Runway moving from Bravo to Lifetime and was it Bravo launched two season of the Fashion Show I didn't watch season 1 as I refused to betray my beloved PR, but I did watch season 2 and was pleasantly surprised that I liked it. So, when I heard the twist for this season was to be two teams I was looking forward to it. In the Fashion Show the concept was to work as a design house and the teams had to put together cohesive looks. Heidi very specifically said that the collections do not have to be cohesive, that the individual designers have to keep their voice. That being said there is a huge difference between Team KIR and Team DT. Team KIP looked pulled together and cohesive and I could see the logos and they were part of the clothing. Team DT was one hot mess. That one brown schmatta was a awful.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

A good singer can sing anything. A good designer should be able to design anything. Obviously everyone has strengths and weaknesses but someone like Mariah Carey whose strength is pop, could also sing hard rock, and it would still sound good - or at least better than most. I believe the same can be said for designers. I think we've seen that in past seasons of PR. Winners typically perform well in most challenges which demonstrates solid skill.

In this way, a good designer will survive a bad team unless he/she is the last person standing on the team. In theory, anyway.

But, I'm still not a fan of the team concept. With the exception of one or two exceptional designers who can shine despite the team concept, we aren't going to see the best of what people have to offer. It hampers individual creativity, and we are left with a compromised product.

That isn't why I tune in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    ...someone like Mariah Carey whose strength is pop, could also sing hard rock and it would still sound good - or at least better than most.
    Mariah Carey sound good? Or better than most?
    Sorry, Jexter, but IMO, you didn't choose a very good subject to back your argument.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan55 View Post
    Mariah Carey sound good? Or better than most?
    Sorry, Jexter, but IMO, you didn't choose a very good subject to back your argument.

At least she didn't chose Nicki Minaj
    cubsfan55 and AZChristian like this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    At least she didn't chose Nicki Minaj
    True, but then again~ I prefer Nicki!
    Mariah is one of three artists/bands that make me want to crawl into a hole.

(For those of you keeping score at home, the others are Reba McEntyre and Nickelback. Ewww.)
    Impossible things are being done every day.

I hate the team concept so far....they all seem clueless about what to do "as a team."
    I really didn't like any of the designs...seemed like a final result from Fashion School.
    and please, don't encourage young men to wear their pants low!!! like they did w/those pants w/the low low crotch.
    And I was disappointed that the girl who won, didn't give Daniel any credit...or at least they didn't show us if she did. Daniel has style and talent and I doubt she would have won w/o him.

ONe other thing I don't like about the team concept is the few designs on the loser team that the judges actually liked never know about it or get any feedback. I wish Heidi would announce a 'winner' on the losing team, just so that person knew they were going in the right direction. I don't think they should get immunity or anything, but I think it must be depressing to be on the losing side and not know that you are actually doing a decent job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast