+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 1/10 All Stars 2 - Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

1/10 All Stars 2 - Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

"Couture de France" - the remaining designers are placed in stasis by Uli, who then carries them via a time-travel portal to her couture gown challenge in Paris in Season 3. The good news is, the time-ship crushes Jeffrey when it lands!

Enjoy the show!
    Allie and Starbucks880 like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: 1/10 All Stars 2 - Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

I've never been a great fan of Emilio, and I *should* be rooting for Anthony Ryan, as he's my home town kid, but IMO Emilio was robbed of the win tonight. AR's dress was nice, and I'd have worn it as I am a lifelong fan of Morticia Addams, but Emilio's was gorgeous. I just wish his model would walk without sticking her pelvis out so far...it's weird and takes away from the dress. Josh was the right one to go home, though. I'm still not sure how he made it this far.
    cubsfan55 likes this.

I really wasn't enamored with any of the 4 designs tonght. I thought Emilio's looked too heavy and made the model look really big and I hated the sleeves- just too much. AR's dress was OK, but somewhat boring and it made his model look more boxy than curvy. Uli's dress looked very disjointed and raggedy...like it wasn't quite finished and it had too many thoughts in one dress. Josh's was fugly. I just can't comprehend how he thought that summer flower fabric was going to work with black lace...maybe (BIG maybe) if he had put it underneath the lace so that just the color came through, it may have worked...but doubtful.

I also don't think for even a second that the judges had such a hard time with the decision that they needed to have them do another quickie challenge. I think it was obvious how much they disliked Josh's dress, but they had already planned on having that challenge so they had to still go with it. I'm certain that no matter who the bottom 2 had been that they would have had to do the quickie challenge as well. So looking forward to this season ending.
    Allie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Emilio's dress was well-made, and he was smart about the fabric he picked, but I didn't see why the style itself was that spectacularly original. It was more about the fabric than anything else.

I also thought the trip to Paris was kind of a waste of airtime. I mean, I'm sure it was great for the designers, but we saw so little of it, and then they had to fly right back and start designing while still very tired. It just seemed counterproductive in terms of turning out great couture, as they had even less time than past contestants have had to do that, and it pretty much showed. The amount of detailed handwork wasn't there because there was no time for it. I think if they're going to send them to Europe (or wherever), it should be for a full episode or two at least. It's easier on the designers, and it's more interesting for the viewers.

Emilio's dress I thought they were over praising, but hearing the model seems to think she needs to walk like she's wearing a 20 pound pair of pistols and is trying to not fall over, that may explain it.

I didn't like AR's dress - too boring and IMHO a copycat of the Valentino collection. Yes, his own spin, but a little too similar. Wasn't happy he was there, but I have a feeling he is going to win.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I say this because he's been in the center of the elimination commercials each week, shifting to the right side of the screen when even numbers, just like Mondo did last season.

Felt the same on Uli's sadly - and I agree - there were too many ideas. Her second dress was much better, though it'd not been couture probably. She'd been better putting in the zipper creatively underneath the bib and she'd been safer. The lining... you could tell it use, but I don't know save doing a sheer fabric underneath what she could've done.

Joshua - well, I admit I liked the dress, but I agree with the judges - a slightly bigger pattern here would've worked - or even lacy green or a darker color (but not black) with the print. I understand the contrast, but flowers and lace are complimenting contrasts so the colors could've changed.

No question on the one hour challenge Uli would win. Her dress simply put was a. transformed and b. even with any errors they noticed (and note, they wouldn't have been able to refine the outfit with the tiny details in an hour), Uli's was a better design.

Frankly, I'd like to see this one hour change challenge actually BE a challenge - at least All Stars - have the designers design one outfit then change it to a second and improved outfit.

BTW, and this is if I heard the amount right - at 3,000 Euros they had the most money I know of for a non final runway challenge I know of - that is a little less than $4,000 American.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I loved this episode. I loved that the judges' jaws dropped. I loved the one hour make-over challenge and most of all I loved the glimpses of Paris and the Valentino workspace. I agree with the top two and think Josh's small print is what did him in even with the shortened dress. Uli's lining was hideous on the original version - from the back you could see it form the armholes, but using it as the main material in the short dress was brilliant. I loved how it looped over the neck-piece and fell in perfect folds down the front. That she was able to make a short jacket out of the original frontispiece was inspired. Wow. Wow - the whole episode. My favorite of the season.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I liked AR's dress.

My husband and I both thought that Emilio's dress made the model look heavy. When I heard the tease where a judge called a dress a "blob," I thought the blob was going to be the big red dress. That fabric must have been spectacular in person because to me, both in the fabric store and on the runway, it looked like red fabric with dirty smudges.

The front of Uli's dress was only okay. The back was a mess, and there was the whole lining issue.

Joshua's dress was awful. When he picked that floral fabric, I knew it would be a train wreck.

I agree with Maybaybie that the last challenge was set up in advance. I couldn't believe that the judges weren't in agreement that Joshua's dress was worse than Uli's - it was one of the ugliest things I've seen. And even if they had been equally bad, Uli's been the stronger designer over the course of the season.

Joshua's dress did work much better as a short dress. I actually liked Joshua's makeover dress better than Uli's. I thought it was clever of Uli to use the lining and amazing that she created a whole new dress, but it had no shape - I thought it was very unflattering.

I very much liked the Paris segments - fun to see the designers so happy to be there, and interesting seeing the Valentino workroom and show.

I do think the right 3 have made it to the finals.

I honestly think Uli could've pulled an ESosa washer bikini and advanced.

Why?

Because if she didn't there'd be a HUGE outcry to lifetime for having ONLY three of its designer contestants in the finals.

That said - unless Uli really knocks it out of the park and the two other roll over or have average shows she isn't going to win. And what is sad is she's been the most consistent of the three left... as in least amount of bottom appearances.

But she's got the Bravo curse, and lifetime won't admit that save Seth Aaron, Mondo (to a point - he had to compete twice to win) and Dominic they have had poor performers overall.
    Allie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Emilio's dress was well-made, and he was smart about the fabric he picked, but I didn't see why the style itself was that spectacularly original. It was more about the fabric than anything else.

I also thought the trip to Paris was kind of a waste of airtime. I mean, I'm sure it was great for the designers, but we saw so little of it, and then they had to fly right back and start designing while still very tired. It just seemed counterproductive in terms of turning out great couture, as they had even less time than past contestants have had to do that, and it pretty much showed. The amount of detailed handwork wasn't there because there was no time for it. I think if they're going to send them to Europe (or wherever), it should be for a full episode or two at least. It's easier on the designers, and it's more interesting for the viewers.

Hubby is from England, so every couple of years we fly back there to visit his family. We fly from here in Texas to Newark, and then catch a connection to Manchester (northern England). The second leg of the trip takes about 6 hours. For some reason, flights to England are always done overnight. That means you have to factor in the actual flight, changing time zones, trying to sleep on a plane, and arriving early in the morning. All together it makes for a very tiring trip.

And that's just flying to Europe. Coming back is almost as bad. Return flights are done during the daytime. We always have to get up early to catch our morning flight out of Manchester. Factor in time to check-in (it's always a full flight with a line) and get through security (which always has a long line) and we're tired by the time we get on the plane. Then we have to cross several time zones again. By the time we touch down in Texas we're exhausted.

The designers might not have had to endure all this; for instance, they probably only had one flight. It would have been a long flight, though, and they would have the time changes to deal with. Good grief, it's amazing that they were able to enjoy Paris and stunning that they could sew when they returned.

Agreed with the Top and Bottom 2. Loved AR's dress. Emilio had gorgeous fabric but his dress was so heavy, the poor model looked an actress from a Victorian movie.

Count me among the conspiracy people who think the final challenge had been pre-planned. There was simply no way Uli could have been in danger. She and AR have dominated this season. They let AR slide last week for making one mistake, so of course they would do the same for Uli this week. Hated Joshua's dress. It was only marginally better in the shorter version. Uli knocked it out of the ballpark with her second dress.

And yeah, I think it would be cool if they would resurrect the "redesign" challenge for another season.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I would have been "pissed off " if Uli had been eliminated last night still I do think we should have been at this point over two weeks ago. Thankfully it is one a one episode finale. I seriously was not planning on watching the next season at all as I think the show has been going down for a while but with no Person of Interest for the next two weeks I may watch. Rats, I wonder if Lifetime planned that?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast