+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

  1. #11
    Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC coast
    Posts
    3,439

    Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

    I also thought Uli should have won, even with yet another white dress.

    The notion that we (the ready to wear set) are all out there shopping for a dress in that price range is ridiculous. Knock off one of those zeroes and we can talk.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

  2. #12
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,772

    Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    I also thought Uli should have won, even with yet another white dress.

    The notion that we (the ready to wear set) are all out there shopping for a dress in that price range is ridiculous. Knock off one of those zeroes and we can talk.
    No kidding. Considering Mizrahi has designed lines for Target, he ought to have an idea about what reasonable ready to wear prices are. Heck, have them design a line for Target--lots of designers are designing for big box/department stores now. If it's not beneath them, it's not beneath PR contestants either.

    Not to get political, but I have the same reaction when they do news reports about tax cuts for the middle class and define middle class as those who earn less than $250,000 a year. Do they have any idea how many people earn a lot less than that and don't feel especially poverty-stricken?

  3. #13
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,874

    Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

    I too agreed with above posters thinking that Uli should have won and instead the judges gave the win to Anthony Ryan for the second or third time. It does seem very obvious that the producers are setting up for a Anthony Ryan, Uli and Emilio finale. I just cannot see Josh going any farther than he has.

    As for $500 - $700 being a midpoint retail price for a dress. I consider that high end and something one buy's at Nordstrom. That is way too much for what I saw on the runway this week. If they had said $150 -$170 I would have understood.
    mandmmom2 likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  4. #14
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

    I guess I'm alone in not caring for Uli's dress. It wasn't the all-white that bothered me so much as it was the fabric she chose. I thought it looked worn and cheap, like an old dishrag. The way she cut the fabric was actually very creative. If she had chosen a better fabric, she might have had a winner.

    Overall, I liked Anthony Ryan's dress the most on the runway. I still wouldn't pay $500 or more for it but it looked more expensive and more well put together than the other designers' outfits.

  5. #15
    FORT Fogey Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,863

    Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

    Uli did all prints in her season except for the finale where she did brown and silver....she needs to be in the finale this time.
    Florimel likes this.
    You can do it!

  6. #16
    FORT Fogey PA Snow Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

    I am 5' and 103 pounds but I could never wear Uli's dress. The dress would wear me not me wearing Uli's dress. Anthony Ryan's dress is the one I would/would wear. That is a fantastic 3 season dress here up in the northeast section of the country. Emilio's I also loved & that can be a partial 3 season dress.

    I have purchased several Issac Mizarhi for Target items. I blame him for my designer obsession.
    pikachu likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

    I finally had some down time and watched this today and I have to say that I think I'm pretty fed up with Project Runway....I won't stop watching but probably will complain more.

    First of all, since this is called All-Stars, I expect better quality from these designers....I know they don't have a lot of time but still.....it looks like they are recent graduates of Home Ec...not even Design School.
    So many seem to be very poorly put together....shouldn't there be a higher quality of skill here?

    Emilio seems to have this reputation of being great....I haven't seen that...where is his greatness? The grosgrain ribbons on this dress were barely sewn on...they were popping up away from the dress. It was an Ok dress at best.

    Ivy got away with material that had a gorgeous design and therefore, Ivy didn't use any creativeness whatsoever. Boring, except for what she was given. She deserved to go because as gorgeous as that material was, she made it look frumpy and awful.
    All I could see was goldfish swimming in a blue bowl.

    Josh: An All Star who can't put in a zipper correctly??? He should be able to know how to use a zipper in any kind of material...and the bodice was ridiculous...you could tell he didn't know what he was going to do for quite awhile. And I'm soooo tired of his affectations with his way of speaking...it makes him sound so immature and not to be taken seriously. He needs to grow up in a lot of ways.

    Anthony is talented and skilled but this time I feel he won mostly because he had fabulous material to work with...but at least he knew that and used the material to enhance the design, which was very simple but perfect for it to shine as a winner. Ivy could have learned from the way he used a design to it's best advantage.

    Uli's was beautiful in a quiet simple design...as one poster said, it could have been done in any color/fabric...it was a classic design that could flatter most women. I thought she should have won for her design whereas AR had the advantage of the material helping him win. But then, I have to give him credit for picking such wonderful material.

    And the judges often seem to talk such nonsense...I know they are somewhat scripted about what to say...so many negatives vs positives....but it's like they can't even say something negative because they're so afraid of offending these people who produced very poor products....For $500-700, I'd expect quality and I saw it in Uli's and Anthony's only.

    And what about Joanna's dress? Usually I love her clothes and I love her style. But this was hideous....that white skirt thing made her look like a little pot belly pig....nothing like what she really looks like...It just didn't seem like her style at all.

    Can you tell I'm sorely disappointed in this show? It does anger me that we are given such tripe after what we used to be shown...in the beginning...before Lifetime killed it.
    Allie and Babbred like this.

  8. #18
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,874

    Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I finally had some down time and watched this today and I have to say that I think I'm pretty fed up with Project Runway....I won't stop watching but probably will complain more.

    First of all, since this is called All-Stars, I expect better quality from these designers....I know they don't have a lot of time but still.....it looks like they are recent graduates of Home Ec...not even Design School.
    So many seem to be very poorly put together....shouldn't there be a higher quality of skill here?

    Emilio seems to have this reputation of being great....I haven't seen that...where is his greatness? The grosgrain ribbons on this dress were barely sewn on...they were popping up away from the dress. It was an Ok dress at best.

    Ivy got away with material that had a gorgeous design and therefore, Ivy didn't use any creativeness whatsoever. Boring, except for what she was given. She deserved to go because as gorgeous as that material was, she made it look frumpy and awful.
    All I could see was goldfish swimming in a blue bowl.

    Josh: An All Star who can't put in a zipper correctly??? He should be able to know how to use a zipper in any kind of material...and the bodice was ridiculous...you could tell he didn't know what he was going to do for quite awhile. And I'm soooo tired of his affectations with his way of speaking...it makes him sound so immature and not to be taken seriously. He needs to grow up in a lot of ways.

    Anthony is talented and skilled but this time I feel he won mostly because he had fabulous material to work with...but at least he knew that and used the material to enhance the design, which was very simple but perfect for it to shine as a winner. Ivy could have learned from the way he used a design to it's best advantage.

    Uli's was beautiful in a quiet simple design...as one poster said, it could have been done in any color/fabric...it was a classic design that could flatter most women. I thought she should have won for her design whereas AR had the advantage of the material helping him win. But then, I have to give him credit for picking such wonderful material.

    And the judges often seem to talk such nonsense...I know they are somewhat scripted about what to say...so many negatives vs positives....but it's like they can't even say something negative because they're so afraid of offending these people who produced very poor products....For $500-700, I'd expect quality and I saw it in Uli's and Anthony's only.

    And what about Joanna's dress? Usually I love her clothes and I love her style. But this was hideous....that white skirt thing made her look like a little pot belly pig....nothing like what she really looks like...It just didn't seem like her style at all.

    Can you tell I'm sorely disappointed in this show? It does anger me that we are given such tripe after what we used to be shown...in the beginning...before Lifetime killed it.
    Thank you for saying that because that is exactly what I was thinking.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  9. #19
    FORT Fogey jammyjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,683

    Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

    I think Emilio got bad advice. His design that made the runway got too simple. The original design was still simple but looked more interesting

    Needless to say, last week's top 3 were the right top 3 since the show started. They are the top again 3 this week and should be in the finale. 4th place I should probably give it not to Joshua but to Casanova. It doesn't really matter if you didn't make the finale as long as you made the top 6 as they all will show in Fashion Week.

    FYI, Anthony Ryan's winning look actually was edited out for the production version:

    Project Runway Fan

    Although simpler, I think it looks more elegant. However, I don't think it would have appealed as much with the judges (and would not have given him the win) as they thought Emilio's dress was too boring when he made it simpler than it should based on the advice of Mr. Tahari.

  10. #20
    8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,586

    Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    FYI, Anthony Ryan's winning look actually was edited out for the production version:

    Project Runway Fan
    Wow. Talk about something that could have been made in a home ec class. The fabric was nice, but there was NO difficulty in this product, and I would NEVER pay $398 for something I could make myself in one day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.