+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 10/18 Finale Pt. 2 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

10/18 Finale Pt. 2 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

The runway shows! Who will win? Will any of them win?

Please keep all discussion in here until 10:30PM PT / 1:30 AM ET.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: 10/18 Finale Pt. 2 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Hoping for lots of details from the east coast!!!

Dimitri - so happy for him

OMG Tim is bawling - he's making me cry too. I really liked Dimitri's collection best & I really like his personality as well. Congrats to him!!!
    Florimel and Little Sew&Sew like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Whew, exciting finale!

I had a similar experience to Season 1. In that season, I was rooting for Jay after Austin was eliminated and couldn't stand Wendy Pepper's outfits. Then at the final runway show, to my shock my favorite collection was Wendy's.

This season, I started off rooting for Nathan, then hitched my wagon to Dmitry when Nathan was eliminated. In the final show, I liked Fabio's collection the most. He was the only one who used a lot of color, and I liked that his outfits could fit women of different shapes and sizes. Melissa and some of the other designers made clothes that would only look good on ultra-thin model types. I'd never be able to wear her clothes even if they did appeal to me.

Chris reminded me of Michael Costello. At least I think that was him who used to whip out like 5 outfits for a challenge and then choose his favorite one to show the judges instead of working thoughtfully to perfect one outfit. I didn't understand Chris making a ton of thrown together outfits instead of going back and tailoring his existing outfits to fit. He just threw a lot at the judges hoping something would stick and sadly, it didn't.

I was frustrated with Dmitry's collection because while I loved the idea of it, it was crying out for color. I wanted to slap him when Tim took them back to Mood with $300 to spend and he bought more black fabric. Grrrrrrrrrr!!! If his collection had included color, it would have been my favorite but as it was, I had to give it to Fabio for having the best collection.

I'm not at all disappointed with Dmitry's win, though. He's been consistently strong throughout this season and he does have an established signature look that I like. Fabio peaked in the show right at the right time. If he had started the season at the level he is now, he might have ended up the season winner. I think being on Project Runway benefitted him immensely, helping him refine his vision and learn better how to articulate it to his clients so I have no doubt Fabio will go on to a successful fashion career. He should be proud of his growth as a designer.
    wannasee, Photobabe and Babbred like this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Hoping for lots of details from the east coast!!!
    Sorry, I was keeping score during the show so I didn't get to comment until after.

The show started with Tim telling the designers they would have an additional $300 to spend on accessory pieces they needed to finalize their collections. Christopher and Melissa were scrambling to complete final pieces all the way up until time was called at the end of the last day. Dmitry and Fabio, on the other hand, had been pacing themselves all along and were ready well ahead of time so they were "chill", as Dmitry put it.

They met with hair and make-up to discuss their models' looks for the runway. Chris agonized over which hairstyles to choose, Dmitry took a risk and on the advise of the L'Oreal Paris guy desided to try a silver leaf applique on his models' hair. Melissa decided to make her makeup fresher instead of darker. Fabio changed the hairstyles on his look after the judges dissed his awful bowl-cut look last week.

Tim brought them champagne when he called time on the last day so the designers could enjoy a toast together.

Christopher was the first to show, then Melissa, followed by Dmitry, with Fabio showing last.

Nobody got ripped up too much by the judges in the final critique. The judges liked Christopher's looks but didn't think they were cohesive enough to form a collection. They wondered if he needed more time to refine his look. The judges enjoyed Melissa's collection because it was young, trendy, and represented her point of view well. They just thought she didn't take enough risks and presented looks they've seen before. The judges decided Fabio and Dmitry were the top two. Jennifer Hudson (the guest judge) argued that Fabio needed the exposure of Project Runway more to be successful while the judges felt Dmitry was more ready right now to be a successful designer.
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I watched the last 25 minutes because I was.so.f'ing.bored by this season. I'm glad Dmitry won; if Fabio had, I'd be 100% done with this show. That collection looked like something out of a skewed universe J. Jill catalog from some freaky spring beach collection.. I don't have a problem with the lack of color in Dmitry's collection, as I don't enjoy wearing bright colors. But that's the great thing about fashion--everyone can find something they like. (Whether it fits or is actually wearable, well that's a whole other kettle of fish. )
    jucamer likes this.

My thoughts...

I was rooting for Christopher- I liked him the whole season and I liked most of the clothes he put out. He has just been very consistant throughtout the competition...sadly, until this finale. I agreed with the judges last week when they said his stuff was too tight and too short and I was hoping he would remedy that for the finale. Unfortunately, there was much too much 'short and tight' in the finale as well. The shorts just looked too thin and to my untrained eye, they also looked oddly unfinished. I wasn't a huge fan of the print, but I appreciated that he at least made a print- and it was interesting once you found it is was actually an xray. I liked his gown (more before he had to rip the hem off) and the blue jacket was nice too. I pegged him for a collection with color, and aside from a dark blue, it was pretty neutral. I placed him #3 out of 4.

Fabio: I've never been a fan of his asthetic- that whole hippy dippy vibe just isn't my thing, but I will say he surprised me in the finale. I agree with the judges that after 3 collections of mostly black it was a breath of fresh air to see the pastels come marching down the runway. I liked his first outfit with the blue beachy shorts and shirt and there were a few others that I didn't mind, but overall it just wasn't my cup of tea, but he gets the 'most improved' award as well as the 'biggest surprise' award. Unfortunately I just don't like that particular style...and I HATED the shoes. #4 out of 4

Melissa: I've always wanted to like her clothes, but all the last minute drama and 'almost rans' she has put down the runway put her near the bottom of my list before the finale. After her reworks from last week- she came out #2 for me tonight. I think her clothes looked polished, clean and crisp, and well made. I really loved the 'blood orange' dress that came down last- I think it really put an exclamation point at the end of her show and I think it made the whole collection pop.

Dmitry: He was my #2 going in and my #1 after the show. His clothes looked expensive, well-made, and worthy of the win. I loved that he reworked some of his looks (although I wasn't a fan of the heavy eye make-up) and the new looks he showed were fabulous. I loved the dress with the fringe and the zigzag middle section as well as the dress on his winning model. I liked that he used some yellow for pop, but it didn't scream bumble bee. I think the judges knew that they could put those clothes online, in a store, or in a catalog tomorrow and sell them and I think that is what gave Dmitry the win.

Even though it was kind-of a ho-hum season, I am pleased with the final result.

I know All Stars 2 starts next week and I already miss Tim! :-(
    dzigner and jucamer like this.

Oh, I hadn't thought about that tonight's the last time we'll see Tim until future seasons of Project Runway, since he won't be on All-Stars. That seems like a huge mistake for them to do that. Nobody knows the designers better than Tim and since he's not involved in the judging, why not let him continue on as mentor to the all-stars even if they don't have the usual judges there??
    Allie likes this.

I love color and rarely wear black, but I've loved Dmitry's designs from the first episode. I'd like to see him add color, but otherwise, he's not made a garment I can think of that I wouldn't wear. I agreed when they called him a gentleman, too. I'm delighted with his win.
    dzigner, wannasee and jucamer like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast