+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 10/11 Finale Pt. 1 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: 10/11 Finale Pt. 1 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

I was so glad I FF'd 80% of the show because if I sat there for the entire time only to hear all 4 were going to be in the finale, I'd be pissed off.

Dmitry wants to go iconic building - most of which are art deco. The best example of using that as inspiration was in the dress Brooke wore on this week's DWTS Results show. It was silver with fine stitched draped lines in deco shapes. Anyway, I'm underwhelmed as well. I think all four chose the wrong strategy when show casing their runway look. All of them wanted to give the judges a taste of what they would show, but held back what they consider their strong pieces.

They may throw an extra look at them, or may take pity because so much more work needs to be done to polish for the runway.

I see their reasoning on advancing all four as all of them were on the same level of needing more work - no one stood out and no one stank.
    jucamer likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I liked the idea of Christopher's fabric but wish he had done more with it. He could have used other x-rays, not just his mom's, to show different body parts. He could have cut up and rearranged the images so you couldn't tell it was images of bones. He could have used a different color for the smoky effect instead of just brown. The dress he had in the workroom would have been stunning in red, blue, or green using a similar x-ray effect.

I don't understand why Project Runway contestants are so afraid of color. I get bored to tears with so many neutral, but especially all black, outfits going down the runway. It's downright depressing!

I liked Fabio's colors and the neckline of his outfits but that was about it. The rest of the outfits looked frumpy and ill-fitting. I hated his Frankenstein shoes and hair-styling. I also don't like pairing dresses with pants. That's just plain weird to me. I either wear a dress or pants, not both at the same time!

Seeing Dmitry's collection, I realized what I liked about his style. When I took art classes, I did a lot of geometrical designs and that's what his collection was based on so of course I liked it. I do think he overdid the outfits and needs to tone down the degree of styling. Plus, his collection would benefit greatly from adding more color. On the white cutout dress he showed, I wish he had put blocks of color in the smaller cutout areas.

I don't like Melissa's style at all. Her textiles looked interesting when she showed them to Tim but she sure picked three loser pieces to show to the judges. I agree with the judges that the contestants should bring their best pieces for the final consideration instead of holding them back for Fashion Week. I hated the jacket Melissa showed, not just the sleeves but the ridiculous over-sized collar. And I hated her styling of the models in those grungy wigs. One funny thing I noted...I think Melissa's looks this week were more avant garde than her outfit for that week.

I was disappointed that the judges wimped out and gave everyone a pass to Fashion Week. Frankly, I would have been fine with them eliminating Fabio and/or Melissa. I'm not interested enough in their looks to want to see more. I think they've reached the end of the line and don't really see either of them winning Project Runway. I guess we'll see, though. The judges' idea of the winning designer and mine have hardly ever been compatible.

This has really been a bummer season. I feel like all the designers played it too safe and would like to have seen them push the envelope more, be more creative, and show us things we haven't seen before with a unique vision of their own. It seemed like they mostly showed watered down versions of their work, giving the judges what they thought they wanted to see. There were a few good pieces here and there but not enough. It seemed like the drama took center stage and the fashion was an after-thought. Sadly, that's how the previous season went, too!
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-12-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Endit and CrazyDutchWoman like this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

FORT Fan

As hard as it is to believe, my gut is telling me that Fabio wins this thing. His collection delivers what they want -- unique color, design and stylling. It's avante garde, yes, but it also looks the most like a spring collection.
    Trust Me!

Funny but I've seen Fabio's style on the runway too many times in fashion magazines and on the Style Network fashion show. I actually kind of like it because it's different from what we've been seening on PRW. I think countries like Japan, Paris and Germany would eat this style up. Now what I didn't like was Melissa. The jacket was god-awlful. The black dress was just okay, something you see at Macys. I loved all of Demitry. The white dress was to die for. I thought Christopher's was nice especially the skirt. The shorts were way too short. I am glad they all got to go to fashion week.
    ladygreco likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Something like this is what I had in mind for Dmitry's white dress, to give it more visual appeal and color:

In these pictures, I've recolored Christopher's fabric to show what he could have done to broaden his collection. It looked so one-note with the one textile fabric and all black.

Last edited by pikachu; 10-12-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

I was disappointed in this episode as well. It tried to build up to some dramatic, "One of you won't make it Fashion Week", but then fell on its face and let them all in. So disappointing, like the rest of the season, I guess.

I was particularly bothered by Fabio's accessories. I could be wrong, but they looked like plastic canvas pieces. I've stitched some myself and never thought to wear them (maybe I should). If I were given a chance to have my fashion hit the runway of Fashion Week and wanted everything to be expensive looking, would plastic canvas be the way to go? Daniel from a previous season made some wood handled purses and was called out for being too crafty. Now suddenly being crafty is avant guarde? I guess it's true, one day you're in and the next day you're...
    Dragonlady likes this.

I wish Sonji made it to the final 4. She should have been there instead of Fabio. Can't believe it considering she won 3 challenges.

I still hope it is Dmitry. I enjoy his personality and his clothes are the only ones I'd wear. Melissa is my least favorites. There is absolutely no femininity in most of her designs.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I thought the final two would be Christopher and Sonjia. It totally surprises me that she's not in the finals. I LOVE Christopher's work but couldn't believe he sent such weak pieces down that runway. I have loved a lot of Dmitri's work this season and can get behind either he or Christopher for the win... Fabio or Melissa in my opinion would be just wrong!
    wannasee likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast