+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 10/4 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

10/4 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Please keep all discussion in here until 10:30PM PT / 1:30 AM ET.

That makeup guy looks ridiculous with the short sleeved jackets and pushed up sleeves. But I might actually be tempted to seek out the make-up for my Halloween costume.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: 10/4 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

If I hadn't been paying close attention, I would have totally missed that Dmitry won the challenge. I guess that's secondary to the fact that he's going to Fashion Week (potentially) but it would have been nice to take a moment and recognize the Avant Garde win.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I think I will skip next week and record the finale and just fast forward through it.
    Florimel, Shoepie and Allie like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Once again, I'm at total odds with the judges. I was worried that they were going to think Dmitry's outfit wasn't avant garde enough and he ended up being declared the winner! I hated Melissa's outfit and all of the judges but Heidi loved it. I thought Christopher and Fabio's looks would be the top picks but they got quite a bit of criticism. I felt the way the guest judge did about Sonjia's outfit, that it looked unfinished. It looked like she needed 2 more days to finish all the details on it.

I'm shocked that Sonjia did not make it to Fashion Week. She's won more challenges than a lot of the other remaining designers. Mostly though, I only cared if Christopher and Dmitry made it through and they did so I'm happy. I don't care for Melissa and Fabio's design aesthetic. Also, Melissa is so bad at time management, I worry about how finished her line is going to look. I think we're going to see a lot of high-necked outfits, since that's gotten to be her signature look *groan*.

One thing I don't understand is how designers end up leaving some of their fabric at Mood. How many times has that happened this season? 3 or 4, including tonight with Sonjia's fabric?

Also, since when did the designers start saying "Goodbye, Atlas!" to the place they're staying, like they say "Goodbye, Mood!" whenever they visit there? I hadn't noticed it on previous episodes but I heard them say it a few times this episode. Were they told they wouldn't be returning to the apartment after this challenge, or were they saying this time in case they got auf'd before the finale?

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Little Sew&Sew, I completely agree--they gave Dmitry's win the short shrift. I had to back up the DVR to make sure that's what Heidi said. And Bearcata, I TOTALLY agree about DVR'ing next week's episode and catching it where I can liberally use the FF button. The one thing I'm glad about with this last group of 4 is that there is no one I truly would hate to see win based on personality. The ONLY other time that happened was in S4.

Nothing much to speak of on the designs other than Dmitry's suit was very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    If I hadn't been paying close attention, I would have totally missed that Dmitry won the challenge. I guess that's secondary to the fact that he's going to Fashion Week (potentially) but it would have been nice to take a moment and recognize the Avant Garde win.
    Yeah, that bugged me for two reasons - one it was barely a nod to his accomplishment and he STILL has to fight for a spot in the final three. I personally think the winner of this last challenge should have a guaranteed spot, especially when you have a designer as consistently good as Dimitry. He never to my knowledge was in the bottom two - a bottom three I think when they had the nightmare fight with Elana on stage, but that was it.

His suit was avante guard, and while the collar could be taken out of it, overall it was still an impeccable outfit and looked like it was more than the $400 he spent on the fabric.

The only critique I had with the outfit however was that the back slit was up so high he nearly shared Ping's dubious title of having a finished outfit that shows the girl's bare bum. She was covered mind you but it was close.

Out of the other four designers:

Melissa - I liked this outfit actually. It looked like a funky muse type persona. What I didn't like though was it was a tad too MUCH leather. She should've just done the jacket in that and maybe a similar but not exact material for the bodice. Still... she did earn her shot to compete for the final three.

Fabio - Jacket was lovely, Dress, especially the top, was hideous. Yes, I know it's avante garde; however that doesn't excuse a top that looks like a weird mop over crimson.

Christopher - I liked the dress save the bust part. He made her look flat as a metal sheet on the top part.

Sonjia - Love her, but she blew her chance with this dress. I see what she was trying to do, but she should've done a better back. It looked cheap for $400, and that's a bit disconcerting. Had she done a stronger dress, her overall portfolio would've beaten Fabio's by leaps and bounds.

Probably won't watch next week - I think I have to go to an event anyway, but I will be happy with any of the final four advancing to the finals; however, my favorite for sure is Dimitry.

FORT Fogey

Random thoughts:

I didn't like any of these pieces all that much.

I liked Melissa's creation the best despite too much leather. I saw that as the only modern avant garde look there.

I really thought Christopher was going to go the minute I saw his sketch. Padded hips? That was definately a costume in my eyes.

Sonijia has been my favorite since day one and I am sorry that she did not make it, especially since they considered their entire body of work. I didn't like her dress but I got what she was trying to do. I wonder what she would have done had she not left her gold fabric behind. They have allowed others to go back and get a forgotten bag. That happened to Kenley. I can only assume she forgot to ask them to cut it so it never made it into a bag.

I didn't like Demitri's suit at all, too severe.

Fabio's was very odd. I didn't even like the jacket; it was too bulky.

I will definately DVR next week so I can FF.

What a terrible season, too bad.
    Allie, mandmmom2 and kireelady like this.

I didn't think any of them were avante garde enough! I think back to some of the wacked-out outfits we have seen over the years and I just think these were pretty low key and not out there enough. I loved Dimitry's suit, but it looked ready to wear. Any other season the judges would've skewered him for that- they run so hot and cold! I think he sort-of won by default because all 4 judges did not agree on a single outfit except for his, even if it may have been a little tame.

One thing I realized that I don't think we've seen this season is an evening gown challenge. I know Christopher made one for one challenge, but that was his choice because he thought the collection (L&T??) was missing one, but don't they usually have one challenge that is just evening gown? I usually like that challenge because they have more money and more time than usual. I don't remember one this seaosn.
    wannasee likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Here are pictures of the fashions from this week's episode:

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

The only two I liked at all were Christopher and Dimitry. I agree with the winning designer choice - those hips on Christopher's dress weren't appealing. Had he done something other than the big hips to make it more avant garde, it would have been great!
    ladygreco and jucamer like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast