+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: 9/20 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 9/20 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

To me, the thing that makes Dmitry's more "Studio 54" than Rockettes is the asymmetrical off-shoulder look. None of the outfits that they studied at Radio City were asymmetrical, and I think it's because they design the costumes so that they are interesting, but also that they don't pull focus from all the smiles and the kicks. I think Dmitry's outfit (which I loved) might create a slightly disjointed visual line on stage.

You could say, well, Chris' top wasn't symmetrical either and he won -- but because it's the NY skyline, a row of Rockettes creates one long skyline! I think Chris was smarter to think in terms of it being a costume instead of a killer dress.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I have been to the World Ice Skating Championships and had pretty good mid level seats and believe me the louder the color the better. It it either one or at most 2 people on a big piece of white ice and very vivid color and sparkle help you see and follow the performers. What is really amazing is how different the color translates on the TV screen vs seeing the performances live.
    Endit likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

When Ven told Tim he had no regrets, I was really hoping Tim would say, "REALLY!!?? NO regrets? I'll bet he regrets being a jackass now that the viewer backlash has hit.

I grew up dancing and competed with a tap kick line that did a lot of Rockette-ish choreography. Christopher's dress looked fine to me. There was at least one kick pleat and the skirt was short enough to allow for movement. Although I thought Dmitry's was beautiful and I actually preferred it outside of the challenge, I thought Christopher's use of that iconic skyline was perfect for the Rockettes and for this challenge.
    MFWalkoff and Babbred like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    When Ven told Tim he had no regrets, I was really hoping Tim would say, "REALLY!!?? NO regrets? I'll bet he regrets being a jackass now that the viewer backlash has hit.

Oh my goodness, I just wanted to reach through the screen and hit Ven upside the head. After treating that woman so horribly, then to stroll off into the sunset as if he'd actually forgotten her, as if it had all been a day's work to him. And yeah, I bet he seriously regrets it now. I know he got to show at FW (thank you, judges for not eliminating him when you should have! ). However, I'm really hoping nobody bought his stuff.

I grew up dancing and competed with a tap kick line that did a lot of Rockette-ish choreography. Christopher's dress looked fine to me. There was at least one kick pleat and the skirt was short enough to allow for movement. Although I thought Dmitry's was beautiful and I actually preferred it outside of the challenge, I thought Christopher's use of that iconic skyline was perfect for the Rockettes and for this challenge.

That's exactly how I feel. MF nailed it when she said some of the designers were still thinking in terms of a killer dress, rather than a costume. Dmitry's design would make a great evening dress, but Christopher is the one who nailed the challenge and made a beautiful costume.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Oh my goodness, I just wanted to reach through the screen and hit Ven upside the head. After treating that woman so horribly, then to stroll off into the sunset as if he'd actually forgotten her, as if it had all been a day's work to him. And yeah, I bet he seriously regrets it now. I know he got to show at FW (thank you, judges for not eliminating him when you should have! ). However, I'm really hoping nobody bought his stuff.
    These people are designers....not therapists. The woman did come with terrible self image and lack of confidence and I blame the producers for bringing her in. Most of the other people were women who did not have the image problems she had and were just people to make a pretty dress for.

Ven was NOT the person to deal with someone who was as down on herself as she was....nor should he have been put in that position by the production staff. I am sure this is the minority view, but we all have our defects and wanting to make pretty dresses for pretty people apparently was Ven's.
    There was nothing about Ven that would make anybody in charge of this show think that he could help this woman.

According to several reviews I read about the PR runway show, Ven was very well received because he did a lot of his pretty roses and bright colors, much like we saw the first couple of shows.
    Florimel likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    . . . I blame the producers for bringing her in. Most of the other people were women who did not have the image problems she had and were just people to make a pretty dress for.

Ven was NOT the person to deal with someone who was as down on herself as she was....nor should he have been put in that position by the production staff. I am sure this is the minority view, but we all have our defects and wanting to make pretty dresses for pretty people apparently was Ven's.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    And does anybody else think it would be cool to see Dmitry on Dancing With the Stars? If he doesn't win PR maybe we can start a campaign to get him on the other show.
    Oh my, that would be awesome! But I guess if he was professional (even if many years ago) they wouldn't let him on. :-( I was really interested in his take on this challenge because of his dance experience.

Btw I can't believe I botched the "Gladiator movie" thing from airplane - that was Peter Graves, not LN, and I have no clue if the little boy was Tommy. lol

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    Oh my, that would be awesome! But I guess if he was professional (even if many years ago) they wouldn't let him on. :-( I was really interested in his take on this challenge because of his dance experience.

Btw I can't believe I botched the "Gladiator movie" thing from airplane - that was Peter Graves, not LN, and I have no clue if the little boy was Tommy. lol
    I think it was Timmy?

Thoughts and observations . . .

ibot - I understand what you're saying about Ven not being the person to have dealt with Teri. Frankly, though, I don't think Ven would've been the person to have dealt with ANY of the "real" ladies. His head was so far up his rear as regards doing beautiful origami rose dresses for physically-beautiful people, he thought himself SO above picking up cloth and scissors to outfit the hoi polloi, I believe it's possible that he'd've crashed and burned if he'd had even, say, Alicia's lady, Martina. At the very least, he'd have tried to slap his origami rose construction on her, somewhere, and would've probably got called out for that by the judges sooner, rather than later. Ven, essentially, to me, is a one-trick pony. Now, yeah, the trick he does is good, but who's gonna buy into the same trick, over, and over, and over? In the long run, he's limiting himself in how far he can go in the fashion world, if he insists on keeping that up.

And, regardless of what you do for a living, you've GOT to have flexibility and compassion in your thinking, SOMEWHERE. EXAMPLE: I'm not rolling in it. But, if I ever went to my doctor's office and picked up from any of his staff --- or even worse, HIM --- that they felt their "talents" and time were being wasted on someone who didn't drive a Jag or showed up in their office in jeans and a top that came off the Walmart racks, they sure as hell wouldn't have to worry about looking after me. AND I'd report their office to the local medical board, too.

Matter of fact, I've been KNOWN to drop a doc or two in my day because they talked down to me, or yelled at me because they seemed to feel their time was being wasted when I was posing questions regarding whatever situation I happened to be in, at the time.

Sorry. I am NOT THE ONE.

Even if you work, say, in an office, there are going to be differing personalities to deal with. Some sane, some crazy. Do you run from the crazy ones and refuse to deal with them altogether? Or do you understand that they've got issues, ride through it and shake your head when they walk away and just thank your lucky stars that THEY'RE the crazy one --- not YOU?! And realize that at least you don't have to go home at night and have to deal with them behind your closed door? ESPECIALLY if they happen to be the boss that signs your paycheck?

I don't think you need to be a therapist to figure that out.

And perhaps Terri's self-esteem issues WERE more prevalent than some of the other "Fix-a-Friend" ladies. That is no excuse for his loose mouth ("There wasn't a big enough belt.") and downright cruelty (refusing to even speak with the makeup artists about preparing Terri, which forced Theo and other designers to step in to assist) towards her.

And I think the very fact that he told Tim he had no regrets on the way out says a LOT about him as a person. Maybe he wouldn't have specifically said he'd mishandled the Terri situation, but I believe that if he hadn't thought himself so above it all, thought himself so perfect, he could've at least said something to the effect of: "Sure, there are some things I wish I'd done differently. But I learned SO much from even the things I didn't do so great on, and I can use those experiences in the future, so I sure didn't lose out by coming here! I'm STILL a winner!"

Babbred I agree that it'd be great to cross-pollinate PR with DWTS and have Dmitry on as a DWTS contestant. But, like wannasee, I don't think it'll ever happen, because he's a known former dancing pro.

JMHO.
    TripleGemini and Babbred like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'd love to see Dmitry on Dancing With the Stars, but people would start screaming, "Ringer," right off the bat. That wouldn't bother me since the show is so manipulated now. I don't know how long its been since Dmitry danced, but if Mya could qualify as an amateur, anyone can.
    ness likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast