+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: 9/20 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 9/20 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

I'm so glad Ven is gone.

I wish there could have been a tie for first place.

One thing that really bothers me about Elena is that if her sense of taste is so bad that she didn't see the tackiness of her outfit, then how can her taste be trusted? I just don't get it.

I agree about the distraction of a fake crying baby. OMG are they just desperate or dim?

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I hated Fabio's dress so I was surprised it was in the middle.

Elana's was a thousand times worse than Ven's. His dress could be improved with some color and maybe something outstanding where he had the triangle at the waist.

There was nithing you do to improve the terrible taste she displayed with that dress
    True, but I think it came down to this - who worked more to get out of their box and comfort zone? Answer for better or worse it is Elena.

Additionally - even if it is bad, hers would get the town buzzing with comments (well criticism) while Ven's wouldn't.

And hers would stand out better on stage - again better or worse but I'm referring to the color. I know Ven and Chris' colors are the same; however, you can at least see some interest in Christopher's neckline while Ven's looks like a practice outfit for figure skating.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm so glad Ven is gone.

I wish there could have been a tie for first place.

One thing that really bothers me about Elena is that if her sense of taste is so bad that she didn't see the tackiness of her outfit, then how can her taste be trusted? I just don't get it.

I agree about the distraction of a fake crying baby. OMG are they just desperate or dim?
    A tie for first isn't precedented - happened one week with Emilio and Seth Aaron.

That said, I think they know Dimitry will push himself further if he doesn't get first on a regular basis because he sees it as a challenge I feel. Yes, he's coming off a win last week; however, I think him knowing that they're making tough decisions and he needs that little push to win again, it makes his work probably among the best this season.
    jucamer likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Sonjia - what happened to her? it's like every week she gets worse and worse. Was she dreaming of Barney?

I saw a rainbow trout, but my daughter thought it looked more like "Randall" from Monsters, Inc.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kdCPMDhBT6E/T5sdOv_bBhI/AAAAAAAAAxw/U1VTPwIF9Ho/s1600/Randal.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I highly disagreed with the judges this week. I would have picked Dmitry first and Chris second. I've been watched the Rockettes in person since I was a little girl. their costumes are always much more colorful than Chris's design, which was definitely creative and innovative. I would have been okay with a tie for first.

I'd have put Melissa and Elena in the bottom two with Elena going home. I loved Melissa's colors, but I cannot stand those tops that look like the model is wearing a sandwich board. The only design I liked from Melissa this season was last week's red and white print dress.
    jaytwo likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Feelings about Ven aside, I think it was right that Elena stayed and Ven went.

Even though Elena's outfit was tacky times ten, she embraced the challenge more. They were designing a costume that needed to be distinctive from far away. What she made was gawdy, but at least it met the challenge. Ven just made a shapeless, drab cocktail dress.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    But Heidi has a new line that she just has to promote on this show (read this as if it's written in sarcasm font). I guess we should be glad they aren't bringing in real babies or puppies that look like their owners!
    Ha! With Halloween around the corner, lucky it's not costumes for babies OR dogs...or both. I know they always do something like that but after lecturing the whole time about not looking costum-y, I kinda hate they give them a challenge that is a costume. The baby thing...ugh, I don't care if they can sew for a baby! For this episode, I'm okay with Christopher winning because it was such a unique and ambitious idea but agree the skirt was not right for dancers...especially Rockettes. Dmitry's was perfect. Nice to see a more human Ven but also agree at least Elena went for it, even if the result was overly tacky. Ven wouldn't even consider that his was not glitzy enough. Melissa...did she take Chris' money? He offerered it but I don't think showed if she took it; if so, with that and almost everyone else having to help her, I was not impressed...and that neckline again? If Ven (and who else?) is going to get criticized for the same thing again and again, I wish they'd be consistent and mention it to Melissa. Fabio's...better than I thought it was gonna turn out but all I could hear was Leslie Nielson, "Do you like Gladiator movies, Tommy?" ;-)

General thoughts and observations . . .

CHRISTOPHER - Liked it, but I think he should've been second this week. Yes, the skirt had a slit in it and that would've worked for high kicks, but I think a fringed/flappered, or wider, bell-shaped skirt would've worked and looked better. I'm no designer, but the nude, sheer part of the outfit, up top, could've been sheerer, or a different color. Even on that model, it looked just a wee tad bit thick and chalky to me.

DMITRY - ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS! I think he got robbed again, this week. For anyone with modesty concerns, The cutouts could've been downsized a bit, perhaps. But I like this one just as it is! In PARTICULAR, I loved that swingin', fringed skirt.

ELENA - Dear God. I understand that she's feeling like a rat crouched in a corner with an open-mouthed cat looming over her. But talk about OVERKILL. The color was OK. I mean, a person sitting on the last top row in the back of the house would've seen that. But the top? OMG. And to add insult to injury, it was ill-fitting around the bust/waist area. Talk about a mercy save. But, at least it wasn't done in black or gray or beige in her usual boxy cut, so THAT'S something, at least.

FABIO - Yep. Gladiator. I kind of wondered where her shield and sword were. Also, the gray sheer panels (whatever) at the top didn't do a lot for me either. Overall, I DID like the ombre silver, and the Rockettes would've DEFINITELY rocked that skirt in high kicks.

MELISSA - Points to her for the colors. And, I never thought I'd ever say this, but like Nina, I liked the "cigarette girl" channel. I agree with Florimel, because that sandwich-board shape has never been a fave of mine, either. It CAN look good in very rare instances, but it's a hard one to pull off. I don't think Mel really pulled it off. Also, the skirt was way, WAY too short.

SONJIA - Wow. Looked like Big Bird'd been held up by the wings, dipped in grape juice and de-feathered on the torso. As for the torso, it kind of looked like lavender body armor, to me. I think if she'd continued the top all the way down and made a really swingy skirt out of it at the bottom. It might not've been so off-the-wall. MAYBE.

VEN - DING DONG, THE BASTARD'S GONE!!!!!!!!! 1. What was up with the racerback in the back? 2. Did he check out to the point where he had NO clue that that hemline was not straight all the way around? I think it might've been Michael that said that all you had to do was take it down to the floor, and it'd just be another evening gown. Whoever it was that said it, I agree with that. Honestly? I believe he's so arrogant that he actually thought that since he'd basically had his hands tied with his usual Origami Rose construction, he was SUCH a fabulous designer, he'd just give the judges enough to shut them up THIS week, then continue to go his merry way down his path of origami and roses so they would SEE how fabulous HIS way of designing is.

Well, I said it before . . .

Karma IS a bitch.

And this week, she finally got her fleas scratched at Ven's expense.

COULDN'T have happened to a more deserving snotnose!
    Endit and jucamer like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post

I liked Dimitri's design more than Christopher's. I liked the skyline idea, but I thought his skirt looked stiff and there were places in the back where the zipper looked like it wasn't laying flat. I thought Dimitri's looked fantastic and was perfectly executed! I do agree with others that the skyline dress might have benefited from some contrast.

I'm happy with Chris winning. It was a truly original and beautiful design. However, I agree with those who have said that it needs to be darker to show up at a distance. Even on my computer, the white fabric starts to blur if I stare at it too long.

Loved Dmitri's dress, but you're right, MF, that it's probably too hootchie for the Rockettes. Didn't Heidi even say something to that effect? Michael was spot-on, though. Add a regular skirt and holy mackerel, you'd have THAT DRESS to wear on the red carpet. And does anybody else think it would be cool to see Dmitry on Dancing With the Stars? If he doesn't win PR maybe we can start a campaign to get him on the other show.

I'm shocked to be saying this, but Elena actually grew on me even MORE this episode. Between her apology to Dimitri and her goofiness in the workroom she is starting to seem like a nice person! However, I don't really get her aesthetic so I still don't think she will win in the end.

Yes, I enjoyed seeing more of the softer side of her, too. However, that dress...ewww. And the model didn't help. That pic above where she's posing with the cheesy smile--add a baton and a little hat and she'd look like a Drill Team dancer at a high school football game.

I'm so glad Ven is out. His sadness at leaving was not enough to make up for his earlier display of arrogance, and meanness. Goodbye Origami Rose!!
    Amen. Felt not an ounce of pity for him. And does anybody else see a pic of a drag queen now when they think of Origami Rose? As for his dress, the material was lovely, but whoever said it looked like an ice skating costume was right. I thought that, too, as the model came down the runway. "Sheesh, didn't I see this on some skater at the last Olympics?" Lengthen the skirt a bit, though, or even make it floor length and it would be gorgeous for a formal occasion.

Fabio--I kept thinking of a 60's sci-fi movie. "We are here to take over your planet, puny male Earthling!" And the skirt would be good for kicking some butts a la Xena.

Sonjia--somebody mentioned Barney. Love it! I was thinking of Sesame Street. Maybe the model could be Big Bird's long-lost cousin.

Melissa--I liked her dress. The colors were pretty, and Michael was right. It had a nice retro look that subtly paid homage to RCMH's past. However, it wasn't glamorous enough to win this challenge. Lengthen the skirt and it would make a nice party outfit.

ETA - I agree with the previous poster that it would make more sense if they are doing a mother and baby challenge next week. I also agree with the other previous poster that making them care for those "living babies" is absurd!! My son had to bring home one of those exact dolls for a weekend when he was in high school. They are a pain, but relatively easy to quiet down -- way easier than a real baby with colic! But still, what a ridiculous distraction. Are the judges planning to check the monitoring device and say designers can't win the challenge if they "neglected" their baby!? I watch this show to see designers create clothes, not to watch them take care of fake babies!!
    I work in a high school, and as I saw those previews I thought, "What the heck are they doing with those Home Ec babies that students carry around?" I think next week's episode will be the nadir of bad Lifetime epis. I'm thinking about not watching, too, because it just looks silly. Looks like the stunt fails, since Tim has to call a "time out". Either that or, like tired parents, the designers are snapping each other's heads off.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 09-21-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Although I respect it, I would have to disagree with the opinion that Dmitry's costume was too "hoochie". After Google searching for about half-a-minute, I found the Rockettes wearing this little number. Now, I have no doubt all of their bits are covered, but the ILLUSION makes this quite risque!

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2007/0712/holiday_shows_tout2.jpg
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast