+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 9/13 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

9/13 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

"It's All About Me" -- this could be the title of every episode, not just this one!

Please keep all discussion in here until 10:30PM PT / 1:30 AM ET.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: 9/13 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Wow, where is everybody?

I think Ven is going home tonight. The same dress again.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

WOW! I know they've done it off camera before, but for Heidi to call Tim out to the deliberations and SHOW it?! I don't recall that happening ever before. I really, really hope he added something about horrible Ven treated his non-model client. But then maybe I don't, because they should have booted him instead of Gunnar if they knew about that. Ven's behavior then was far more offensive than Gunnar's slightly matronly jacket.

I'm glad Dmitry finally won, but I tend to agree with Mondo that the print should have been more prominent. I also liked Sonjia's look; not that I'd wear those pants because that would not look good on a short chick like me (maaaaaybe if they were slim-fit capris and I was in a daring mood), but they worked on the model and that's what counts. But I so would love her shirt were the drape in the back higher. As Joanna Coles steadfastly pointed out on AllStars, most women need to wear a bra.

I think Dimitry won because the jacket drew your eye INTO the design. Mind you I love Mondo's work overall, but I disagree with him in that not all the print challenges MUST be the print prominent. Sometimes prints work stronger when you're drawn into them.

Anya's assessment I felt reflected more of this, and I'm glad that both said the jacket was really well made.

Dimitry had a corker of a comment though on winning (roughly) "I finally won, I changed my design and when I do I finally win." We may have seen a turn-around with him on designing from this.

Loved Sonjia's design too and she made lovely pants and a top - since there is no more immunity, I wish that Heidi just declared them both the top looks. I loved both of their prints as well as Melissa's - simple, elegant and bold.

Melissa's print was very well done, and what was better - she was one of the few who overall successfully lined up the print. Sonjia and what I saw of Dimitry's also fit there.

This is the first time I loved Elena's work - that was an unusual print but it worked well in that jacket. And the jacket was more fitted compared to her normal work.

Fabio's - well, that was an interesting concept (and I did figure out part of it) but the pattern was too dark that I had trouble seeing the print. He was lucky the outfit was strong or he'd been in trouble.

Gunner - I can see why he was ousted, but honestly the print wasn't as bad as one would think. To me - if he had put the print a little closer together he'd had an interesting version of houndstooth. The jacket design was actually quite nice, but I think the slightly larger pring and the pattern spaced so far apart hurt him.

Ven - Ugly print, ugly use for it (It STILL looked like a maxi - and I don't mean the dress - even with the print), and the rose was totally NOT NEEDED. He should've been eliminated over Gunnar - who had a better print comparatively, who used more of his print and actually used it for an actual piece of clothing instead of just an accent piece.

Seriously (and apologies for what I'm about to say next Critical) - Gretchen's very big print Southwestern print with the misfortune of having one of the sunrises over the model's chest looked better than Ven's "flower" print. Heck even I can draw a better flower than Ven did.

Christopher - well, I thought the print wasn't too bad; however, it was too abstract of a ladybug that it just didn't look right. If I were doing a ladybug print, I'd stried to see if I could do a tessalation version of it to show the dots in rows - and the curves could've been wider to allow for more spots to show the print. Maybe even every so often he could've put in a proper ladybug. This would've worked OK with the dress, or he could've used it in a nice jacket.

Very surprised that Ven did not go home. Luv'ed Tim Gunn's comments. Best ever. But I do agreed with Heidi I wish they had sent both Gunnar and Ven home and get this season done. Still from what I understand the final 8 all created collections and showed at fashion week at this point it is not that big a deal to get to the final three. Just saying.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Yeah, I just want this season to be over. Or maybe the show to end...I'm not in a happy mood, so that may be coloring my reaction. But this season has felt very rote.

I was browsing the final 8 collections at FW, and I'll reserve my comments until the thread opens tomorrow.

I was sad to see Gunnar go. I would have been much happier if they'd given Ven the boot. I did enjoy his look of bewilderment at the judges' criticism. Tim's description of the first dress as an ode to a maxi pad was awesome. I love Tim.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Gunnar has made my skin crawl all season, but I really was hoping that Ven would get the boot tonight. Especially after Heidi went to the trouble of bringing Tim out (which is unprecedented, and to me a total stunt, since the judges aren't supposed to care what happened in the workroom).

Tim made a convincing argument that Ven was beyond help and advice, and Heidi kept him anyway. This is entering shark-jumping territory. I've had a problem with Lifetime-era PR all along, and tonight is a perfect example why. Unlike the Bravo years, they want to make "good TV" more than they want to have an honest competition. And it's just so obvious, yet they keep expecting us to swallow it like the Bravo years never happened. Luckily I have the DVDs and the Style channel so I can still see this show's Golden Age...
    Shoepie, Endit and Babbred like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

I went to bed early after assuming the Ven was gone with that dress that had so much wrong with it. To read this morning that it was Gunner just shocks me.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Here are pictures of the fashions from this week's episode:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast