+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu

Thread: Creating a Project Runway scorecard

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Creating a Project Runway scorecard

For several weeks now I've been thinking of making a scorecard to judge the fashions on the runway. We know the judges do it and that's their basis for deciding who the top three designers of the week are and who the bottom three designers are.

What do you think the judges look for? Do they each have their own scorecard based on their expertise or do they have one standard scorecard?

Here are my ideas for items on a scorecard. Let me know if you have other items to add.

I'd like to create a scorecard to use for future seasons of Project Runway. It's a bit late to start using them now, since the season is almost over.

Project Runway Scorecard

Concept: How original is the designers' idea? How appealing or interesting is the concept? Can you understand where they were going just by looking at the outfit or does it require an explanation to get it?

Construction: Did they choose the right fabric for their design? How much skill did they show in their manipulation of the fabric? Did they pay attention to detail? Is the tailoring right for the model? Was the choice of fabric color appropriate and appealing?

Styling: Do the accessories take the design further or are they unnecessary or a hinderance? Was much thought put into making the hair, makeup and accessories match the outfit? Can you tell which type of client this look was created for based on the styling?

Challenge requirements: Does the look meet the needs of the challenge?

Editorial quality: How well would this look photograph? Would it give people something to talk about? How memorable is the look? Will it create controversy, with some people loving the statement it makes and other people hating it?

Commercial appeal: Would this outfit be very profitable? Could it be produced for much less money than it would retail for? How many stores or clients would be interested in this look?

Marketability: Will this outfit appeal to a broad range of people? Will it be marketed toward a very large clientele or is it more appealing to a niche market? Is the look appropriate for various functions or occasions?

Re: Creating a Project Runway scorecard

I thought that was great and really covered all aspects. I'm not sure though that Nina considers all this...sometimes she seems to make up her mind instantly.
    I know she has a lot of experience and maybe that's what enables her to do so but I still don't like her.
    Thanks again for always posting the runway photos...makes it so much easier to look back while reading the other posts.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I'm not sure though that Nina considers all this...sometimes she seems to make up her mind instantly.
    Yes, I noticed that when she likes something, she always says it's very editorial. That's what made me wonder if each of the judges have a different scorecard. I went to the Project Runway webstie the other day to see if I could find out anything about how they score the fashions but didn't see anything. I couldn't even find a place to ask a question! I guess all I could do is use their Contact Us information to write to the show and see if anyone bothers to reply.

I love the scorecard list, but I would add one thing. Impact. Meaning, your initial "gut" reaction when the model first appears on the runway.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Oh, that's a good one, Photobabe!

I added Impact to the categories and the point ranges (1 to 5, with 1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest).

I'm going to try using the scorecard while watching the show this week to see if it needs any tweaking.

Project Runway Scorecard

Impact: How great of a first impression does the outfit make? Is it memorable and noteworthy? Does it draw attention? Does the way it moves add to its appeal? Would this look prompt people to inquire who the designer is?
    1 2 3 4 5

Concept: How original is the designer's idea? How appealing or interesting is the concept? Can you understand where they were going just by looking at the outfit or does it require an explanation to get it?
    1 2 3 4 5

Construction: Did they choose the right fabric for their design? How much skill did they show in their manipulation of the fabric? Did they pay attention to detail? Is the tailoring right for the model? Was the choice of fabric color appropriate and appealing?
    1 2 3 4 5

Styling: Do the accessories take the design further or are they unnecessary or a hinderance? Was much thought put into making the hair, makeup and accessories match the outfit? Can you tell which type of client this look was created for based on the styling?
    1 2 3 4 5

Challenge requirements: Does the look meet the needs of the challenge?
    1 2 3 4 5

Editorial quality: How well would this look photograph? Would it give people something to talk about? How memorable is the look? Will it create controversy, with some people loving the statement it makes and other people hating it?
    1 2 3 4 5

Commercial appeal: Would this outfit be very profitable? Could it be produced for much less money than it would retail for? How many stores or clients would be interested in this look?
    1 2 3 4 5

Marketability: Will this outfit appeal to a broad range of people? Will it be marketed toward a very large clientele or is it more appealing to a niche market? Is the look appropriate for various functions or occasions?
    1 2 3 4 5
    Last edited by pikachu; 09-13-2012 at 02:42 PM.

After using my scorecard while watching the show last week, I found it really hard to quantify the fashions. In the future, I think it might be best to do a Four Weddings approach and rank the designers in each of the categories. Plus, commercial appeal and marketability ended up being the same score anyway so I would combine those categories. I'll have to try this week giving an overall impression score for each look plus ranking them in the categories. Perhaps I can narrow the categories down to four to simplify the process.

+ Reply to Thread