+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 8/30 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 8/30 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

I couldn't stand Melissa's dress, and yes I did notice the side boobage. It didn't seem to jibe with what the L&T president said about good taste.

I've changed my mind about all the remaining female designers and wish I could replace all of them on my team. I don't see what's wrong with clothes for women that look feminine and I would not choose to wear any of the "edgy" or "androgynous" clothing. To quote the lyrics from the "Flower Drum Song," number, "I enjoy being a girl."
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

The whole episode was worth it to me when Ven was told that he was safe. The LOOK on his face . . . Oh, MAN!

He EXPECTED, just KNEW he was going to win this one!!!!!!!

Karma is a bitch, and I DON'T think she's done with this jerk, yet.
    Allie, wannasee and jucamer like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I think if the judges see one more rose motif from Ven or shredded fabric from Christopher they should both go home.
    Shoepie, Allie, wannasee and 2 others like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I loved Christopher's gown, from the vintage color/pairing of black and pink...and it was a perfect pink....very delicate and also using a classic style for the entire dress.

I am confused on why the girls seem to be very firm in their preferences to want to design only strong, edgy....also not wanting to make feminine type dresses. They talked about how the guys (males) seemed to enjoy it and that they made clothes that women could wear. I thought a good designer could make anything without losing their "touch."
    But I know nothing about designing fashion.

I don't understand why Dimitry's dress wasn't in the top two....or the winning one. I loved it and think he was completely overlooked this week. I'd buy his dress in a minute!

Ven's dress was pretty. Yes, he's a bit of a one trick pony but I like his styling. Time will tell if he can produce something new and different. If he doesn't, he'll never make it to the end. Also, he needs a bit of an attitude check.

Thought Melissa's mess of a dress was simply awful and was stunned when I realized the judges liked it. Sometimes those judges are on a totally different wave length than I.

Same with Elena's design. YUCK. I didn't like it at all.

Alicia really needs to go home. Her dress this week, although somewhat outside her comfort zone, was simply ugly.

Christopher's gown was lovely and I understand that it probably won because the judges wanted to have a complete grouping of PR dresses to offer and a long gown was the way to go. Very pretty! (But I still think Dimitry's was far better.)

Why did so many of the designers go with black? It's sooooo safe and can be a bit boring. Maybe they didn't have enough fabric selections to choose from. It was difficult to tell.
    Florimel and justCoz like this.

FORT Fogey

If that pretty pink was there, I would think there would have been other colors....agree that there was too much black

FORT Fogey

Alicia is missing what she could do with tailoring and the mens wear look for women. Stay in your comfort zone! She could have made a skirt and mens type shirt out of a soft fabric and it would have been every bit as good as Christophers two piece look. If a dress was required, then join them at the waist. I had to go to a lot of dressy parties for my husbands work over the years and I would often wear a black skirt or dressy pants with a different top each time. The tops varied from sparkly to soft draped shirts. I would add funky touches like a bear claw string tie one year! I got raves for this. There are many ways she could go.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I don't understand why Dimitry's dress wasn't in the top two....or the winning one. I loved it and think he was completely overlooked this week. I'd buy his dress in a minute!

Ven's dress was pretty. Yes, he's a bit of a one trick pony but I like his styling. Time will tell if he can produce something new and different. If he doesn't, he'll never make it to the end. Also, he needs a bit of an attitude check.

Thought Melissa's mess of a dress was simply awful and was stunned when I realized the judges liked it. Sometimes those judges are on a totally different wave length than I.

Same with Elena's design. YUCK. I didn't like it at all.

Alicia really needs to go home. Her dress this week, although somewhat outside her comfort zone, was simply ugly.

Christopher's gown was lovely and I understand that it probably won because the judges wanted to have a complete grouping of PR dresses to offer and a long gown was the way to go. Very pretty! (But I still think Dimitry's was far better.)

Why did so many of the designers go with black? It's sooooo safe and can be a bit boring. Maybe they didn't have enough fabric selections to choose from. It was difficult to tell.
    I completely agree about Dimitry's dress. I loved it and was shocked it wasn't higher. It wasn't even top four, since we saw those this week. I hated Elena's. At first I liked the bronze backless dress, until I realized how it was structured. Perfectly awful. And they think they know better how to design for women? I was happy with the winning dress as I thought the pink and black quite pretty.

I would like to collect $5 every time one of the designers mentions their "aesthetic".

I had another thought about what all the girls were saying in the beginning of the challenge...about how women design clothes for women better than men do....that they would design more edgier, non-feminine, more androgynous. But they all designed an outfit that required a darn near perfect body to wear...and would most likely require a lot of "shape wear" underneath. Shapewear is a great invention...or should I say "re-invention" just much more comfortable....but I'd rather not have to wear it if I could.

Alicia had a somewhat looser/forgiving fit for most women...(altho not for me, I'm a "thick in the middle," w/no hips or thighs) but if there was "side boob-age" on that dress, that would require a good body also.

I just think that if the women designers were making a point about who designs best for a woman's body, you'd think they would be aware that most women have negative hangups about their bodies and various parts.
    I know they're very young and most of us were slender at that age w/o a lot of trying....but surely they know that age and pregnancy changes us a lot.
    Not a lot of us can or want to wear an extreme form fitting dress after our '20's.

I think they should design exactly what they want to design...just don't say you know exactly what women want.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 09-02-2012 at 02:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast