+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 8/30 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 8/30 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

No need for a double elimination...we had one when two people left on their own during the same show. It was ironic that the 3 women who almost went out of their minds scored higher than the woman who took the challenge in stride.

Gunner, who has so much to say about everybody else, took a really bad hit from MK...that dress is already in L and T.

After all the outrage I felt last week and feeling that the issue still has not been resolved I was hoping for comments or something and instead there was a normal episode. Then you realize that yes this was already filmed and editied before all the fallout over last week's episode but this week's episode felt so anticlimactic that I was a bit disappointed and let down. I don't feel as if there was any closure.
    ness, jucamer and Babbred like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Chris' is actually what I like the least. There are 9 dresses, you'd think they would have made all the past winners (Seasons 1-9 + 1 all Star) to design the dresses instead.
    I don't know - Ana tends to not design with all or at least most body types in mind (though I love her work and admit would've liked to see her design) and Bellatrix (the winner of the season Mondo should've won) would've been drab as all get out and dated.

Others such as Irina I'm not sure about - maybe she did but her witchy condescending attitude is why Gordana ended up getting to design - i.e. Irina not accepting the fact her design may be altered slightly or nitpicked L&T to death on it they gave up.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Here are the pictures of this week's fashions:

I know Sonjia was happy to be safe - and I was too because her dress was pretty but a bit too safe that she could've been in the bottom three...

The reason Ven and Dimitry didn't get into top three is they DEFINITELY did something they've done before. Even Christopher's was a bit different even if he did another similar manipulation of the fabric for the top.

And honestly - Ven's design should've put him in the bottom IMHO because he's done the look before - rose, up on chest, and angled a lot like the rose on the candy challenge. That said, if he thinks he's going to be a top three look anytime soon, he's dreaming. He repeats designs and Heidi and the other judges will never forget how he treated his client in the mainstream client (makeover) challenge.

Dimitry at least used a different color and redid the top design a bit that made it different. But the lines in fabric has been done a bit too often.

I liked Melissa's but then I noticed the side boobage. Did that show up or was commented on the show? Yikes.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

The one thing about two of the dresses that really bugged me was the asymmetrical hem. Melissa's was the worst. For my taste, I love asymmetry within a dress, but at the hem it looks like you didn't measure correctly. But, that is just me.

I'm glad the gown won. It joins two others on the pedestals and completes the collection. The shade of blush pink could be worn by different skin tones as it would change color to compliment them.

I'm also happy that everyone was safe whether because of show needs or that all of them, as Heidi said, met the L&T challenge.

This was a fairly quiet week compared to previews for next week...teams of three begging on the streets of NYC for money to buy fabric.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Episode Notes:

Quite honestly, I wasnít blown away by any of the dresses this week. I donít know if it was the fabrics available that messed everyone up or what but nobody hit it out of the park with a breathtaking design to add to the Project Runway Lord & Taylor Capsule Collection. In most cases, the designers were struggling just to finish something.

And why did so many of the designers choose black for their fabric?? You can make a cocktail or evening dress in other colors besides black. If they did it because they didnít want to work with the shiny fabrics, thatís such a cop-out.

BTW, what's the difference between a dress and a gown? Is it the length, as in a dress that reaches down to the ground is called a gown? I wouldn't know the difference between the two.

My critiques:

Alicia:
    I donít know how Alicia got chosen to be on this season. She seems way out of her league. She can do mens wear better than womens wear and I donít really sense any unifying style from her. She has a lot of learning to do, both with technical skill and defining her style. There was nothing truly horrifying about her dress but there was nothing exciting about it either. It was a total yawnfest.

Christopher:
    I would not have chosen Christopher as the winner this week. I know he loves his little patented texture trick but I donít. Once again, it makes the fabric look thread and shabby, plus weíve seen this look from him too many times. Plus, the judges just bawled Ven out last week for making an outfit with a light top and dark skirt, bisecting his model. I think this look would have been more flattering if he had used a waistline with a shape to it instead of making it straight. His model happens to be tall and thin so she can pull off this look better than the average lady, who might not be so tall and thin. Above all, I just thought it wasnít very original. I hate how the back makes the modelís shoulder blades look. Theyíre like boobs on her back. Ick!

Dmitry:
    I donít understand why the judges havenít ranked Dmitry higher. Many weeks I thought he would be in the top three, he ended up just being safe. Unfortunately then we donít get to hear a critique of his look so we donít know what the judges are finding lacking in his work. Personally, I thought Dmitry had the best look and it was significantly different from the other dresses in the capsule collection so it didnít look like it would be mirroring an existing piece. He really got robbed this week.

Elena:
    And the Elena I canít stand is back. Wah, wah, wah, the judges donít understand me. I canít speak for the judges but for me, I understand, I just donít like her design asthetic. I canít believe the judges liked her outfit better than Dmitryís. Really? The fabric looks like lawn trash bags I have. I donít like the halter construction, either. I was very surprised Elena wasnít in the bottom this week. Iím just thankful she didnít win the challenge because I would have hurled if she was chosen to represent this season in the capsule collection.

Fabio:
    As a rule, I donít care for asymmetrical dresses. As someone else pointed out, when the hem is like that, it makes me think that something went wonky in the workroom, not that itís deliberate. The back of the dress is nice, though. Iíve seen a million dresses like this so itís nothing unusual or inventive. I would have liked it better with a straight hem.

Gunnar:
    Tim encouraged Gunnar to use the shiny appliquť over the whole dress and I think that was a mistake. Too much of that makes the dress look cheap instead of sophisticated. His model looks like sheís on break from a show in Vegas. Or maybe not the show itself but she serves drinks in the hotel where the show is located. I didnít think this was the worst look, though, so I would have given him a pass. Iím so glad the judges decided not to eliminate anyone this week.

Melissa:
    Grrr, once again Melissa does that awful high-rise neckline and once again the judges swoon over it. I donít care what the judges say, I hate that look and would never buy a dress like that. I also didnít like the side-boobage. I did agree with the judges that the panels on her asymmetrical dress were too long. Snip them off and the dress would be much better.

Sonjia:
    I had to laugh at Christopher (I think?) saying the 80ís called and they want their dress back. I thought the same thing! The shape of the dress is nice but unfortunately dated and not original. I didnít like it when Sonjia called Elena over in the workroom to help her get her model in her dress and then she left Elena to do it alone while she sobbed on her desk. Sheesh, woman, pull it together! Get your model dressed and then you can cry all you want. I wish Sonjia has used a colored fabric. That might have made her dress more interesting.

Ven:
    Iím getting a sense of dťjŗ vu. This is the same top Ven made for the first challenge, just in a different fabric and color. Yawn, yawn, yawn. Been there-done that-got the tshirt-sold it on eBay. What else can you do, Ven? Or are you truly just a one-way monkey like Dmitry said?
    Last edited by pikachu; 08-31-2012 at 01:29 PM.

FORT Fogey

Is it me or did they get themselves a roomful of divas this year.....the quitting, the uncontrollable crying, the complaints of not being understood/ appreciated .

Now, Ven appears to me to have a personality disorder...not being sarcastic. I don't want to apply a name to it, but he has no social skills. There is little conversation outside of the work issue between him and any other contestant. He has no filter ..I don't think he was being intentionally mean to his regular lady client. I think if he thought it, he said it. He does the same thing when he is in the gathering room. He comments that he should have won an earlier challenge, is not happy that he is only safe.....etc.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu
    Dmitry: I don’t understand why the judges haven’t ranked Dmitry higher. Many weeks I thought he would be in the top three, he ended up just being safe. Unfortunately then we don’t get to hear a critique of his look so we don’t know what the judges are finding lacking in his work. Personally, I thought Dmitry had the best look and it was significantly different from the other dresses in the capsule collection so it didn’t look like it would be mirroring an existing piece. He really got robbed this week.
    This isn't the first week I've questioned the judges decision where Dmitry is concerned. Believe that little quirk started during the candy challenge!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast