+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 8/16 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

8/16 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Please keep all discussion in here until 10:30PM PT / 1:30 AM ET.

And if anyone can figure out why Project Runway just switched to Showtime and some old Matt LeBlanc movie for about 45 seconds, please PM me.

Re: 8/16 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

"One way monkey....no, one trick pony" Dmitry slays me with that.

So yeah, triple post...I watched in almost real-time tonight for once. As for the Showtime cut-in, it happened a second time. Anyone else watching on Cox have that problem? It was weird.

Melissa won; I've liked her designs in the past and I actually did like her dress, but as for the "office appropriate" factor, it was not a win on that account, though I agree it is very editorial and would read well photographed. In the critiques, Dmitry's cut-outs got the nix for working in "finance or law" and Elena's poofy shouldered jacket got the okay for "finance or law", well just no. At least for the law side--maybe finance people are different. Melissa, Dmitry, and Elana's looks were inappropriate for any law office I know and my firm east-US national. Fabio's dress, especially coupled with Elena's non-crazy shouldered jacket would fly 100% of the time. However, those garments were all pretty great, and while I'd never wear Dmitry's dress in that color scheme (sub out the navy for grey, and I'd be there--I hate navy blue) it was interesting.

I was a bit mystified about the accolades Alicia's pants got; the wide-legged ones were okay but both had kind of droopy crotch problems. OTOH, I'll take that over pulled seams and camel toe.

So Squiggy is gone again, and deservedly so. He was right about one thing--Elena is a PITA. As for Gunnar's dress, I think half the problem could have been solved by the "remarkable" solution of putting a bra on the model. I was surprised Joanna didn't jump on that full-force, since on PR:AS she was after the designers to design looks for women to be able to wear bras. There are some women out there who can go without a bra, and good on them. But that's not me...nor actually anyone I know. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    So yeah, triple post...I watched in almost real-time tonight for once. As for the Showtime cut-in, it happened a second time. Anyone else watching on Cox have that problem? It was weird.
    It may be a regional or cable issue - I did not have that happen.

Melissa won; I've liked her designs in the past and I actually did like her dress, but as for the "office appropriate" factor, it was not a win on that account, though I agree it is very editorial and would read well photographed. In the critiques, Dmitry's cut-outs got the nix for working in "finance or law" and Elena's poofy shouldered jacket got the okay for "finance or law", well just no. At least for the law side--maybe finance people are different. Melissa, Dmitry, and Elana's looks were inappropriate for any law office I know and my firm east-US national. Fabio's dress, especially coupled with Elena's non-crazy shouldered jacket would fly 100% of the time. However, those garments were all pretty great, and while I'd never wear Dmitry's dress in that color scheme (sub out the navy for grey, and I'd be there--I hate navy blue) it was interesting.
    I agree to a point - their looks would work for an office of say a high fashion magazine or other even where fashion and PR go together. Since they didn't mention whom they were designing for specifically - just work - it kinda put that option in the air.

Melissa's dress - While I don't know of many jobs that'd wear that dress including magazine - was very nice and interesting. It deserved the win.

Though admittedly I think Dimitry's without the cutouts in the back (though small and could be covered with a nice simple jacket - which they didn't mention ) - would've won.

I was a bit mystified about the accolades Alicia's pants got; the wide-legged ones were okay but both had kind of droopy crotch problems. OTOH, I'll take that over pulled seams and camel toe.
    Alicia's pants were low crotch, but not as bad as some others. I wonder if the fabric choice factored in - Some dress pants I have actually are a little lower in the crotch to make sure when I sit down I do not tear them at that juncture.

Though yes - better a little lower than tight to where you have camel toe.

So Squiggy is gone again, and deservedly so. He was right about one thing--Elena is a PITA. As for Gunnar's dress, I think half the problem could have been solved by the "remarkable" solution of putting a bra on the model. I was surprised Joanna didn't jump on that full-force, since on PR:AS she was after the designers to design looks for women to be able to wear bras. There are some women out there who can go without a bra, and good on them. But that's not me...nor actually anyone I know. YMMV.
    Ryan was going to be out IMHO because he just did tops - and bad ones at that. I didn't think he deserved some of the treatment he got though from the others.

Elena - whoa, she was out of line a lot of times. Fortunately for her that there were worse outfits or I think they players would've gone after her for that really horrid attitude in the photoshoot.

On Gunner's dress - I don't think a bra would've made a huge difference; however, it would've been better than deflated souffle and the puppies fighting in a basket comments.

Best line of the day was Dimitry's confusion of "one trick pony" - One way monkey also worked quite well though.

It was also nice to see Ven knocked down quite a few pegs - that outfit wasn't inventive and it's as said by Dimitry, a one way monkey.

I really like that phrase - One way monkey. Sorry if I use it too much guys in future shows regarding Ven.

Can't say I am sad Raoul is gone but OMGosh Elena must be so much worse in person if all the designers are saying they hate her. I feel really bad for the normal size women next week. Non looked that big. Maybe if we are lucky someone will smack Elana in the mouth and then sit on her. She is so mean I am sure even her vibrator breaks down when she is near.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Gunner's dress was DREADFUL.

And I'm glad Raoul was shown the door --- AGAIN. Didn't care for those bisected blinds on the front of that ugly-ass top. Also did not care for his attitude or commentary. Obviously, he didn't get the memo: He WASN'T God's gift to the fashion world, so that's why his behind was shown the door in the FIRST place.

Here's hoping Elena's out, next.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Regardless of how he feels about Elena, I thought Raoul's goodbye was low class. He'd better be glad Tim Gunn wasn't in the room to hear that. So rude He definitely deserved to go home. That blouse was tragic. Elena's a pain in the ass, but at least she's talented.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Ven's skirt and top was the best creation by far.

The one shoulder top in the print did not read office to me. There was another woman on the news a couple of weeks ago who was fired for being too sexy thus distracting in the office. This makes 2 very recently.

Demitri's cut out. He could have just eliminated that and won. What business outside of the entertainment and fashion industry would ok that?!

Clearly they were designing for a woman in high management.

I am just not getting into this show. I miss the models playing a larger role. There is strategy involved which gives depth.
    cstewart31 and Allie like this.

FORT Fogey

I was surprised that Gunner was one of the last two picked. Most of his stuff has been good so it was surprising that he was so low in selection. Of course there is so much we don't see, so I was thinking that he is more obnoxious than we see so nobody wanted him

I also noticed that his theatrical petulance had moved into real petulance leading to beleive that things were not going well for him with the other designers.

I was not impressed with the winning design. I cannot see being at work and having that front piece sticking up in my way. I also thought that Ven should have placed higher as it was a very good work creation.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about work place attire. I realize that styles on the east coast and west coast have different standards than say, the south (NC). But still, what woman would go braless to their office place? I just can't imagine. Those with full breast wouldn't and those with small breast would want the extra cushion a bra would give.

I liked some of the work from both teams, but just had to ignore the idea about workplace for most of the winning team's designs.

When the contestants are told that their designs are looking to matronly, do you think they know what that means? On previous seasons people who have a problem with it seem to continue to do it, even after being warned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast