+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: 8/9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 8/9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    PT here is Part Time - I'm sorry I forgot that not everyone on here would know that due to it being international or just odd lingo (or confuse with physical training )

As far as scoop - you'll have to Google it as I can't do a link on this site (it's frowned upon).
    I live in the USA! To me it is Physical Therapy. We often make up anacronyms here to save typing it all out so as far as I knew it could have been Postal Time!!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Episode Notes:

At first, I thought it was weird that when Tim came into the workroom while Kooan was telling the other designers her was leaving he acted as though he had no idea Kooan had decided that. Then he announced that Raul was coming back shortly afterward. After watching the episode a second time, I realized they probably asked Raul (the most recent designer aufíd) to come back after Andrea quit. Iím glad they did bring Raul back since he wanted to be there, unlike Andrea and Kooan.

My critiques:

Alicia:
    I didnít care for Andreaís look. It might be comfortable enough to wear from day to evening but itís not very fashionable. Itís too tomboyish and unkempt looking for my liking. I donít like the patches on the elbows.

Buffi:
    Buffiís outfit was a mess all around. Itís sort of like the model couldnít decide what to wear for the day so she put on one dress and put another on top of it in case she wanted to change outfits later. The coral coverup reminds me of construction workers who wear the bright orange vest over their clothes so traffic can easily spot them. I donít think it would have helped having a different colored coverup. It would have been just as frumpy. I wish the judges had made her remove the coverup instead of just peeking under it so we could see what the outfit looked like without it.

Christopher:
    I really liked Christopherís outfit, except for the shoes. It must be the trend to have big clunky shoes in a bright color because I noticed quite a few designers this week styled their models that way. It makes me think the models couldnít find their dress shoes so they left the house in the first pair of shoes they could find.

Dmitry:
    Dmitryís dress was so nice but I agreed with the judges that heís playing it safe. If he doesnít start taking more risks with cut and color, heís not going to make it to the end and that would be a shame because he has great potential.

Elena:
    I donít know why Elenaís still in the competition. I havenít liked anything sheís designed yet. I didnít like the weirdo shoulder silhouette she uses the first time I saw it and I wish sheíd do something else. I absolutely hated the jacket on her outfit. It looks way too large, shapeless, and unflattering.

Fabio:
    I agreed with the judges that Fabioís dress was too short but I didnít think it was one of the worst looks of the week.

Gunnar:
    I really liked Gunnarís outfit! Iím a Capricorn and these are all colors associated with my sign so maybe thatís why it appealed to me so much. I was skeptical of his design when he showed the sketches and explained what he was going for but the finished result is beautiful, much better than I expected.

Melissa:
    I wish the judges would call Melissa out on using black as the predominant color of her outfits every week. I didnít care for her look. Draping from head to toe doesnít look very fashionable for a woman on the go to me, unless her whole day involves going from one funeral to another.

Nathan:
    I didnít like Nathanís dress. The color was the most off-putting thing about it but when I try to picture the outfit in a different color, I donít think that helps. Thereís not enough structure or detailing on the front of the dress to get my attention and the cape or jacket thing is too bulky. Itís sort of the reverse of Buffiís outfit, with the smock covering the back of the dress instead of the front.

Raul:
    For a moment there I thought Raul was going to be sent home two weeks in a row. That would have been embarrassing! If the outfit hadnít had the long panels coming down past the hips I think it would have been ok. Like Christopher, heís got his model in big clunky blue shoes. Ugh!

Sonjia:
    I wish I had chosen Sonjia for my team in the Project Runway pool! I liked her outfit on the premiere episode but wasnít too thrilled with her portfolio. However, every week sheís done a great job with the challenges. I liked the visual interest of the knotted fabric on the dress and the criss-crossing lines it created. She deserved this win, although I wouldnít have been disappointed if Christopher had won. His outfit was great, too.

Ven:
    Venís outfit was ok but I could see why it wasnít in the top three. It didnít have enough color to create much visual interest, unlike Venís previous two winning looks. Weíve come to expect a lot from Ven and he didnít deliver this week.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I am having a hard time getting into this season. It always takes awhile but it is taking longer for me to click this time.
    I hear you. Normally I love this show, but I'm just not into this season. Maybe it's the disruption of having people leave, or maybe it's because this season is so one-sided (if Ven doesn't win then it will be a moment, kind of like Gretchen winning but in reverse). Whatever the reason, it's just not clicking with me, either.

Kooan and Andrea going is fine with me; I didn't like either of their styles and found Andrea irritating.

I guess in future seasons they will be sure to tell them the time allotments are real. How odd they didnt know that. Former contestants have been very verbal about that.
    I read an interview with a former contestant a while back. He said that it's very stressful filming this show. The challenges are filmed right back-to-back, so you get very little down time. There was one time, he said, when they had literally just said good-bye to the losing contestant and then were hustled back into the stage area to hear the next challenge. So yeah, in the future TPTB need to make sure contestants understand that this show is not a vacation to NY with an occasional challenge thrown in. This show is very intense and not for the faint-hearted. I'm also glad that Tim and Heidi rubbed it in about how "thousands of people want to be here". Thank you!

I also thought that Tim and Michael did a good job of "counseling" the remaining contestants. Yeah, it sucks, ok, let's move on. Don't dwell on it too much. And Tim's behavior in the workroom just made me want to give that man a hug, for the umpteenth time. I love you, Tim!

I didn't have a problem with Buffi going home. That outfit was a hot mess. Christopher was spot on when he said it looked like a bathing suit cover. She should have listened to him, and maybe accepting his help would have given her more time to fix the underlying dress. What woman would want to wear the outfit she did send down?

I thought the judges were unfair on Fabio. The print was cool. The only thing I thought was wrong with it was that the skirt was way too short. The same thing could be said for Buffi's. Did these people not hear that their fictitious client had to work in an office?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Although Sonjia's dress appeared to be more 'fashionable', to me it seemed like she just got lucky pulling it together and puckering it in the right places, where Dmitry actually put some skill into creating the detail on the top. The color was a bit boring. Glad the craftsmanship wasn't overlooked. He really does know how to put things together.

Kooan was kooky and it doesn't surprise me that he walked out. Disappoints me, yes . . . but he really didn't stand a chance of winning. He needs to work on his social skills. To jump into the middle of a conversation with your own announcement was not only rude, but says something about his inability to work well with others.

In my opinion, it should have been Raul who went home. Sewing the model into her pants because you've grossly misjudged the size and then covering up the poorly sewn seems with a stiff, over-sized 'vest' should have had more against it than the two mis-matched colors of Buffi's creation.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I had issues with Sonjia's dress...it was see-through! The construction was interesting, but I'm not wearing a see-through dress anywhere. A fabric change could have solved that problem. Dmitry's dress was far more impressive in the one seam construction and nice detail. I disagree with the judges about showing it in color; grey is awesome. I would have preferred him to show it with a jacket or other wrap because bare arms are a distinct no-no at my office, current and three past (though I work in a conservative industry). Actually, for office wear, Melissa's insane get-up would be preferable--comfy and warm. It may be 100 outside but it's meat-locker cold in the office; wearing that, I could ditch my space heater.

I'm kind of glad Kooan auf'd himself from the show. If, as the reports say, he was really having problems with being on the show, let him go and explore his Japanese street wear look on his own. I just really thought Andrea should have stuck it out a bit more; hell, even Burt got over the Josh torment and he had bigger issues in his past. Ultimately, I got the vibe of "oh, I'm a delicate genius" (a la Costanza) from her.

I'm done with Ven. He may think he'll take the title, but he's Rami-light.
    wannasee likes this.

FORT Fogey

What's kind of sad is that the first time I really felt like I saw the actual Kooan, and not some kind of public persona he put on for the camera, was when he announced he was leaving.

I guess I can see people choosing to leave from both vantage points. It does seem unfair that so many people want to be on the show and were denied spots (well, not all of them--but the next two who didn't make the cut; I'm sure some people's designs are so bad they'd never have had a chance, just because all reality shows attract some of those types), and two people just leave. But at the same time, if you're really utterly miserable, and you know that you're not even halfway through the show, which means your chances of winning aren't that great, should you really feel obligated to stay simply because other people wish they had the chance you were given?

I do agree, however, that Andrea shouldn't have snuck off during the night without letting someone in production know she was leaving if she didn't want to tell the other contestants themselves. There was no need to worry people unnecessarily like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I had issues with Sonjia's dress...it was see-through! The construction was interesting, but I'm not wearing a see-through dress anywhere. A fabric change could have solved that problem. Dmitry's dress was far more impressive in the one seam construction and nice detail. I disagree with the judges about showing it in color; grey is awesome. I would have preferred him to show it with a jacket or other wrap because bare arms are a distinct no-no at my office, current and three past (though I work in a conservative industry). Actually, for office wear, Melissa's insane get-up would be preferable--comfy and warm. It may be 100 outside but it's meat-locker cold in the office; wearing that, I could ditch my space heater.

I'm kind of glad Kooan auf'd himself from the show. If, as the reports say, he was really having problems with being on the show, let him go and explore his Japanese street wear look on his own. I just really thought Andrea should have stuck it out a bit more; hell, even Burt got over the Josh torment and he had bigger issues in his past. Ultimately, I got the vibe of "oh, I'm a delicate genius" (a la Costanza) from her.

I'm done with Ven. He may think he'll take the title, but he's Rami-light.
    That's the problem I had with it and I was really surprised the judges didn't say anything, especially since this wasn't a couture challenge. No normal woman would wear that fabric to work.

I think Ven is very talented, but he needs to tone down the arrogance. I think I said somewhere in this forum that he needs to have a big failure and near-elimination to knock him down a peg. Confidence is one thing, but he's conceited. No one wants to work with someone like that, at least not when they're trying to break into the business.

I actually liked Melissa's outfit, although I think it would have looked better without that hooded cardigan. It was a nice garment, but it pushed the outfit into sci-fi, vampire hunter-ish garb territory. I liked all of the separates and I kept wishing the model had taken that cardigan off at the end of the runway so that you could see what was underneath.

Poor Kooan. He was SO not cut out for this show.

What I really didn't like about Andrea is that she totally denied saying that she would be okay leaving AND denied that she was laughing when she messed up in the work room. Did she not realize that the cameras were right freaking there? I have no sympathy for her. As a teacher, she set a terrible example. With Kooan, it was obviously a mental health issue, but I think Andrea just wussed out.
    jucamer likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    That's the problem I had with it and I was really surprised the judges didn't say anything, especially since this wasn't a couture challenge. No normal woman would wear that fabric to work.
    As soon as the model went back up the runway and stood in front of the screen with the light shining through the dress, I thought "Yike! Who in the world would wear that to work?" Up until then I had thought the dress was gorgeous.

I think Ven is very talented, but he needs to tone down the arrogance. I think I said somewhere in this forum that he needs to have a big failure and near-elimination to knock him down a peg. Confidence is one thing, but he's conceited. No one wants to work with someone like that, at least not when they're trying to break into the business.

What I really didn't like about Andrea is that she totally denied saying that she would be okay leaving AND denied that she was laughing when she messed up in the work room. Did she not realize that the cameras were right freaking there? I have no sympathy for her. As a teacher, she set a terrible example. With Kooan, it was obviously a mental health issue, but I think Andrea just wussed out.
    Again with the
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I loved Dimitry's dress and believe he should have won. Beautiful!!
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Squiggy came back from last week's elimination and didn't do so hot and wanna-be Patricia Fields was off'd.
    :rotfl I just want to take that stupid piece of hair and either brush it back or cut it off! I simply can't take him seriously, fashion-wise.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast