+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 7/26 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

7/26 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

We're going to see looks made of candy this week -- and possibly see some designers have meltdowns.

Please keep all discussion in here until 1:30AM ET, 10:30PM PT.

Enjoy the show! Forum threads will be reopened after the show airs on the west coast.
    Allie and Cootie like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: 7/26 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Unconventional challenges are always hard to judge because the judges have to not only consider which outfits look good but which outfits make the most of the material given.

I don't think the losing design this week looked the worst but I can see why the judges rated it the lowest. The designer didn't show enough creativity and didn't really embrace the challenge.

The six designers called out to explain their fashions while the other designers went to the "safe" room were:
    Buffi
    Elena
    Gunnar
    Lantie
    Sonjia
    Ven

The judges really liked Sonjia's, Ven's and Gunnar's work.

They really didn't like Buffi's, Lantie's, and Elena's work.

Ven was declared the winner. Lantie was auf'd.

Next week looks like team challenges to design an outfit for some previous Project Runway designers--Anya, Kenley, Irina, and I think there was one more.

Sorry, I didn't write down the designers they mentioned and now I can't remember.

BTW, despite the commercials making it look like this was the week that 2 designers quit the show, that didn't happen on this episode.
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-26-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I guess I'm the sad sack who watches this show (fairly) live. Since this is a west coast spoiler thread, I'll be blunt. Lantie should have gone home last week and I'm glad she's gone. She pretty much made every mistake in the book for the unconventional materials challenge. There's no excuse given the history of the show and the availability on DVD of the show for prep work. It's like going on Top Chef and not having a dessert in the back pocket of the brain or trying to be a Real Housewife without having a narcissistic personality disorder.

I didn't mind Ven winning, though I liked Sonjia's dress a tad more. But what really irritated me was that Ven's dress was (to my bad eyes) a candy twist on Anthony Ryan's unconventional materials design (and not as good) and AR didn't win. Eh, AR is my hometown guy, so I'll always be biased about that.

And just as a throw-away, does Buffi remind anyone else as a Pat Field wannabe? The crazy pink hair, the Carrie Bradshaw reference, the generalized outlandish for the sake of being outlandish? I still kind of like her, but that's where I go with her.
    Endit likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

If I had my choice, Elena would have gone home this week because I hated the monstrosities she created last week and I really didn't like her attitude this week. She flatly stated that she liked what she did even if the judges didn't and indicated that she's not going to step outside of her comfort zone. I don't see her growing as a designer during the course of this show. She might as well not even be there if she's not going to take the opportunity to get constructive criticism from leaders in the fashion industry and use that to enhance her skills.

I was so disappointed Dmitry wasn't in the top three. I loved that he thought of adding movement to his dress and the colors were so great! I would have picked him over Gunnar to be in the top three. I can see why the judges chose Gunnar, though. They liked that he made a patterned fabric with the candy and used candy to make accessories for his outfit, too. He was one of the designers who used the candy in the most creative way.

Have to add this is only the second episode and already I'm tired of all the camera time on Gunnar. It's like Project Runway has turned into "The World According to Gunnar". I really hate that reality shows fawn so much over drama queens. It's not interesting to me in the least. I want to know more about some of the more quiet, serious-minded designers, like Dmitry and Ven, not listen to Gunnar carping and bitching about everyone and everything.
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-26-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm sorry...who is Elena? Do you mean Andrea?

And yes, I wish Gunnar would get the FTSU edit. I don't care for his "feud" with Costello-light.

Psshhht. I looked all night for a thread on tonight's (last night's) show! It's already been re-run 3 times here in the Central Time Zone.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

PhoneGrrrl and cubsfan . . .

You're not alone! I'm on the east coast, and I think we're on rerun three or four (with ANOTHER one coming up after the one that's on right now finishes!)! Didn't want to start a thread with just me being the only one here! LOL!

Can I vent for a sec? I KNOW every reality show just has to have at least one villain and one nutjob-in-residence. However, I would not be in the least depressed if Gunnar and Kooan BOTH got shown the door on one ep.

I'm glad Ven won, but I agree that Sonjia's might've been just a smidge ahead of Ven, this time. If only for the reason that Sonjia used so many more different types of candies than Ven did. I DO wish she'd 86'd the headpiece that went with it, though. Also, about Ven, one thing I did take note of was that as beautiful as his garment was, was it just me, or did anybody else notice kind of a repeat of the rose swirl/fold from his bustier and dress from last week repeated on the skirt of his dress THIS week?

I hope he moves away from that. Other than that, he's still who I think (right now, at least) might just pull off a win.

I also agree that Dmitry should've edged out Gunnar for top three. I liked his piece better than Gunnar's, but I do believe that had Gunnar not taken it a step further with the jewelry he added, Dmitry might've edged him out for that spot.

Elena? Oh, yeah. Methinks that if she doesn't check that attitude and mouth quick, fast, and in a hurry, she'll be shown the DOOR quick, fast and in a hurry! And Yep, I HOWLED when her dress came down the runway, dripping candy all over the place as it did.

And yes, PhoneGrrrl, I get a Patricia-Field-wannabe vibe from Buffi, too. And her eccentric schtick is getting a bit old, I think. Besides, Field did it first and STILL does it better. Good thing Lantie shot herself in the foot this week, otherwise, I think it might've been a tossup between Kooan and her for which one had to hit the bricks first.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I have the bad habit of falling asleep when I watch these things...have to replay the later.

I only saw the lady going home. I liked her piece in the big sewing room. My tastes must be opposite the taste of the whole universe........I do not know why everyone does not think like me.
    You can do it!

I see Gunnar as our new Christian. Dang why did I drop him in our PR game? I should have figured that out sooner. I loved Ven's dress & would look great minus the candy on the red carpet. I really did like Sonjia's dress but not that tail thingy in the rear.
    My ds & I are planning a weekend trip to NYC and now I have got to get to Dylan's Candy Bar.
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 07-27-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Allie and cubsfan55 like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I was so disappointed Dmitry wasn't in the top three. I loved that he thought of adding movement to his dress and the colors were so great! I would have picked him over Gunnar to be in the top three. I can see why the judges chose Gunnar, though. They liked that he made a patterned fabric with the candy and used candy to make accessories for his outfit, too. He was one of the designers who used the candy in the most creative way.
    Me too but not surprised - he used fabric noticeably in his dress in the top part, and I think that's what hurt him.

I also liked Melissa's dress - apparently it was all licorice but the top part didn't look it. She did a decent job with the top part because it's not fabric - it looks leather. What hurt her is again - all black.

I think Sonjie's dress was a bit better than Ven, but IMHO they gave Ven the win because he was in top three the week prior and IMHO should've had it over Christopher. It was pretty from a distance, but if I looked at his and Sonjie's close up, I'd be more impressed with Sonjie's.

NOT however surprised with Lantie or Buffi in the bottom two. It's one thing to use some fabric in the design but in Buffi's case it wasn't used properly. Still better than the candy bikini from another season.

Lantie was done with that dress - pretty but it's bad when the judge flat out tells the host judges that it is the umbrella from her shop. She didn't at least attempt the spirit of the challenge.

The main disappointment? - too many dresses had candy fall off. That's poor workmanship as the top two didn't and third - Gunner - had some but it was harder to notice save up near the neck.

Oh, and I actually thought the older lady's candy button dress was cute - especially the "1" in the center, but it'd been better if she had done a bit fancier sun dress or something and lacked the full fabric bustle. But it was well-made and I was glad it was safe. Surprised she thought it wasn't going to be.

Koonan - all I can say is WTH with the dress?
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 07-27-2012 at 10:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast