+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 7/26 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 7/26 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

I watch the show when it airs orginally; however, I like to wait until you post the pictures before I comment, Pikachu. And BTW, I forgot to say this last week--thank you for all your hard work!

The Bad

I liked Andrea (Apron Lady) in the audition episode last week. Her kick-butt attitude really grabbed me. However, I was majorly disappointed in her this week. That outfit was hideous, and I didn't like her attitude with Tim. It's not like he was on the fence about it; he flat out told her it was a disaster and yet she chose to ignore him. She was very lucky that she wasn't in the Bottom 3.

Elena deserved to go home with her attitude and her dress. You have an entire shop with a rainbow of candy to choose from, and that's all you can do? I died laughing during MK's critique. That remark about finding shapes in the candy was just too funny!

Back in the 90's, there was some infamous Japanese cartoon that was banned in the US because it was giving kids seizures. That's how I feel when I look at Kooan's outfits.

I agree with whoever said that in another week, Lantie's dress would have passed muster. I liked the rainbow colors, but I agree that it should have in the bottom this week since it was virtually all fabric. And I know we've complained here before about designers not being given enough time for their challenges. For better or worse, however, that is how the show has chosen to do it. Therefore, I liked MK's retort that if Lantie couldn't handle the time pressure, what was she doing on the show? And her excuse was even more pathetic since there were so many gorgeous dresses produced this week.

The Good

I didn't think Buffi's outfit was all that terrible. I, too, could see a young singer like Katy Perry wearing it for a video or concert. And Buffi did put a lot of work into weaving the candy top.

My goodness, I wish we could have had a Top 4 or 5! I agree that the final choice should have been between Ven and Sonjia. However, there were so many other lovely dresses I couldn't make up my mind who should have the third spot. Kudos to Christopher, Dmitry, Fabio, and Raul. (I admit it--like the guest judge, I'm partial to turquoise. ) And as much as I hate Gunnar's Drama Queen schtick, I have to admit he turned out a lovely dress. I thought the ruffle was a tad much, but the dress was chic and I love how he thought about the styling by making the accessories.

The Winners

This was really tough. They clearly blew the others out of the water, each in their own way. On balance, though, I would have given it to Sonjia by a hairsbreadth. Again, I'm biased because of the turquoise , and that was incredible how she used all those different kinds of candies. That shark necklace was the best accessory on the runway.

I loved Ven's design. The lines were breathtaking and the colors lovely. Like his outfit last week, I couldn't take my eyes off it. However, since he only used one candy for the majority of the outfit, again, I would give the win to Sonjia--but "just," as the British say. I also agree that the judges probably let Ven win since they really should have let him win last week. Clearly he is the designer to beat. That's also why I can tolerate his attitude. He kind of reminds me of Santino. Yeah, he's a arrogant, but dang, that man can design. If I were a client I would just keep my mouth shut and let him go at it.
    cubsfan55 and jucamer like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

Ven is nowhere near as unlikable as Santino. Both his dresses have been gorgeous. I was surprised that Dylan commented that he just used one candy --as if that was a problem. I don't recall hearing that they had to use a variety.

I also think that Ven's Sig will be the rose and I look forward to seeing it appear right to the last episode this season.
    Florimel likes this.

pikachu, I bow down to you in appreciation of all the effort you put into posting the photos!

I agree about Dmitry's dress. I thought it should have been in the top 3. I loved the zipper down the back.
    Little Sew&Sew and cubsfan55 like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

FORT Fanatic

i wonder when we'll see the episode where two players quit (one packs up and leaves in the middle of the night)

If I see Ven use the rose motif again next week I am going to start complaining about it big time. This is Project Runway dammit not Rose Motif Runway.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post

But I hate it when these judges penalize the designers for using fabrics in a store for unconventional challenges.
    In her case, it was the majority of the outfit. Fabric, even from an umbrella, is fairly conventional. if she would have used that as a base and then put a good amount of material on it, I don't think they would have said much. But it looked as if she even just traced some of the designs with candy instead of doing her own patterns They didn't say anything about the guy who had the fabric top and candy skirt. he was safe but NOT in the top three.
    Babbred likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    If I see Ven use the rose motif again next week I am going to start complaining about it big time. This is Project Runway dammit not Rose Motif Runway.
    I don;t understand what you mean. If it is his dress, he can put anything he wants on it...it reflects his work and has nothing to do with the fact that he is on PR....it isn't like there is a PR motif that conflicts with his
    Florimel likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I think Bearcata means that Ven needs to show more versatility instead of always using roses as his design motif. He's free to do whatever he wants, of course, but it's in his best interest to show he can do something else.

I, too, would like to see him use colors besides red or pink and get away from the flowers for the next challenge.
    sweetpea and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    The Bad

The Good

The Winners
    Wow, Babbred~ We agreed on almost every single thing! Let's see how long we see eye-to-eye during the season.

Cheers to PR!

P.S. I removed all your editorial comments just to save space. I was not trying to be a smart-alec!
    Impossible things are being done every day.

You go into a candy store, of course you have to use candy as material. If you used something else, it just tells the judges that you're not creative enough and lack talent. Yes you can use other stuff besides candy but it mean's you're trying to workaround the challenge instead of actually tackling it head on. That's means you're not good enough to work outside your comfort zone. I thought Lantie should have gone last week, and I know she was gone when she used very little candy in her dress. I just don't agree that Buffi is in the bottom 2. There were some bad creations there like Kooan's. I don't even know if that was actually a dress he made. I thought it was between him and Lantie last week but I think they saved him just because of this candy challenge. They wanted to see how he does for the type of quirky designer that he is.

Yes Dimitri's dress looks better than Gunnar's but he didn't challenge himself enough by using fabric on half of the dress. Maybe he should have used some black Hershey's wrappers woven together for the top fabric. I agree with the winner Vern. It's a very nice sophisticated dress, well constructed and well executed. Sonjia's did the most of the challenge and it's something that Lady Gaga would wear, I just don't like that tail which looks like the model had an accident by crapping blue crystals.
    cubsfan55 and Babbred like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast