Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Ven Budhu - Season 10

Ven Budhu - Season 10

Ven Budhu
    Season 10 Designer

Age 28, Kew Gardens, NY

List of websites featuring your work?
    Gavaskar New York

First garment you ever made? The first garment I ever made was actually not one, but a small group of seven sequins-and-satin dresses when I was a freshman in high school for the annual student fashion show. A flair for evening dresses was evident.

What's your design training/schooling? I graduated from the Fashion Institute of Technology in 2006 with a bachelor's degree in womenswear. I spent my third year of college attending Polimoda in Florence, Italy.

What have been your influences? For me it is about capturing an attitude, a feeling, an emotion, and as a result, creating a stunning visual impact.

Item you're most proud to have designed? I have a passion for designing extravagant gowns. If a celebrity wore my designs on the red carpet, I guarantee she would own it.

Favorite designer(s)? I love Roberto Cavalli for his edgy, bold, luxurious over-the-top sensibility. I also love Michael Kors for his clean, chic American sportswear.

Fashion must? Every woman should have a little red dress in her closet.

Fashion faux pas that drives you crazy? I don't think I have enough space to answer this question. A fashion faux pas that drives me crazy is when a grown-a## woman tries to look cutesy way tooooo hard. For example 40 years old, size 22, and wears small pink clips with bows in her hair. One literal fashion faux pas that drives me crazy is when I see a working woman wearing a tacky black suit with a tacky cream-looking wing-tip-collared shirt over the jacket collar. First of all the shirt was probably originally white when purchased, and the seams have puckers. It is 2012, ladies. I wish I saw more women at least making an effort when it comes to fashion. They really have the opportunity to embrace a personal style, which can also boost their confidence levels. There is also no excuse, because you can shop on a budget. You don.t need a large budget to look presentable and polished. One not-so-literal fashion faux pas that drives me super crazy is when a designer or editor says "Brown is the new black" or "Green is the new black." Are you serious? Certain colors are just quite popular or trendy, but definitely not "the new black."

Favorite style icon? Jennifer Lopez.

Dream celebrity client? What would you make for him/her? I want to design looks for many celebrities, but specifically Jennifer Lopez, maybe for the Met Gala. I have always been a fan and admire her bold fashion style. I would design a very bold and romantic ivory/nude evening gown embellished with Swarovski crystals along the body, gradually into a dramatic train. Heads will turn and the paparazzi will photograph her until their camera batteries are burnt out.

If you had to name your label, you'd call it... GAVASKAR.

If you weren't designing, you'd be... Honestly, I can't see myself doing anything other than designing. This is not only my dream, but my passion.

Biggest pet peeve? When someone acts and thinks that they are just too good, when in reality they are simply just tacky. Also, when someone is loud and obnoxious for no valid reason simply annoys me.

Favorite PR designer? Christian Siriano.

Challenge you hope they bring back? Red carpet challenge for a celebrity.

Challenge you hope they don't bring back? Menswear challenge, because my background is focused on womenswear.

Do you think you can win PR? I don't want to bore you and give you the same answer that everyone else will about how talented and creative they are, etc. I am extremely passionate about being a designer. I strongly believe that like any other artist, musician, poet, actor, etc., it is something you are born with and are meant to do. Skills can be learned, but to have the passion and drive is just something that cannot be acquired. I am not a face that you see or affiliate with Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. I was born in a third-world country, moved to Queens New York at age 4, was drawing and designing at a young age, pursued my passion for design while living in the greatest city in the world, and finally graduated as Designer of the Year from the Fashion Institute of Technology, graduating class of 2006. Now I am seeking every opportunity that I can to make my dream a reality because I know this is what I was meant to do. I hope Project Runway will be the stepping stone of launching my career and I want to show the world that no matter where you are or where you come from, things don't come easy but you have to work hard, take initiative, and make your dream a reality. IT IS POSSIBLE.

----------

Ven Budhu | "Project Runway" Season 10 Designer - myLifetime.com

Re: Ven Budhu - Season 10

Love his stuff!
    Allie and jucamer like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Early favorite - personality, temperament and talent - a very agreeable mix.
    jucamer likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Episode 1 - The designers had to bring an original piece with them, then were told to create a companion piece for it.

I love love love his looks. He might be in danger of his looks being 'too mature'.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

LOVE the bodice on the first look. He's obviously very talented. I think he's at least top 3.
    jucamer likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

One of my favorites! Hope to see him make it to the end.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Kind of refreshing to see a competitor on a reality competition show who quietly does what he's there to do, with great skill and no drama.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Episode 2 - An unconventional challenge at Dylan's Candy bar, where the designers had $250 to buy material to make an outfit using candy.

Who is John Galt?

I might be saying this too early, but I think he is probably the most talented designer to ever be on Project Runway. He is meticulous in his detailing, creative in design, and quietly just does his thing without the confrontational antics of some of the less mature individuals in the competition. He reminds me of Ravi - a mature, adult male with lots of talent and skill.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast