+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Ven Budhu - Season 10

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Ven Budhu - Season 10

Episode 9 - This week was an HP & Intel print challenge. The designers were to create a textile inspired by their culture heritage and incorporate it into a modern runway look. They were given $100 to buy accessory fabrics.

Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

One thing I don't like about him is how he kisses the judges butt. "Nice meeting you", "nice to see you again". Yuck.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't think there's anything wrong with common courtesy. It's just too bad he doesn't treat everyone with that same courtesy. Apparently he feels some people are beneath him and not worthy of it.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

FORT Fogey

I don't have a problem with the courtesy at all.
    Florimel likes this.

Seeing how Heidi had to flat out warn him about the rose design and he just carries on with his laughter and promises and yet she tells him again that - he's in trouble.

And I still maintain that the dress looks like what Tim described it - EVEN with the revisions. He should've made the dress in a different color if his print was a white background.
    Kocky_Kamikaze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    and his style icon of choice is Jennifer Lopez who is an elderly 42!
    Not to mention that she's hardly a "heroin-chic" model herself! And I'm glad, too. I like it that women like JLo and Beyonce are showing that you don't have to be stick-thin to be glamorous and pretty. Take that, Ven!

Crticial said:

So happy for her that Michael stepped in to help her out. She didn't deserve to be treated so shabbily, but I'm glad good things are happening to her as a result of Ven's crappy behavior. Sounds like he's experiencing some well-deserved karma as well.

I always loved Michael C. He seems like such a gentleman, and he certainly knows what it's like to be bullied, so I think that it's awesome that he stepped up to help this lady.

Interesting speculation about autism. I work with special needs kids in a school, and several of our kids have Asperger's/Austism. I also have a dear friend whose adult son has Asperger's. The biggest hallmark of the disorder is the lack of social skills. (That's how I found about my friend's son. I was frowning at his rudeness and she had to explain.) With my students, I see this all the time, too. Like the article said, they simply don't recognize teasing or humor or sarcasm, and so take everything literally and thus get offended easily. And the "lack of empathy/not seeing another POV" is another biggie. Again, I see this. A student will do something rude not because they are inherently so but simply because they literally can't think of how the other person would see it.

However, and I can't emphasize this enough, simply saying a person has A/A should not be an excuse for bad behavior. With our students, we correct them (say, by making them apologize to the person they've hurt) to teach them that some things are inappropriate. My friend spent most of her son's childhood teaching him how to cope and function in a different world. I actually didn't realize there was something different about him until several months into our friendship. Something felt "off," but I couldn't put my finger on it, until he displayed unabashed rudeness and my friend explained. Until then I just thought he was a computer whiz/sci-fi fanboy like the guys I knew in college.

That would certainly explain a lot about Ven's behavior, but it still doesn't excuse it.
    Last edited by Babbred; 09-15-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post

Interesting speculation about autism. I work with special needs kids in a school, and several of our kids have Asperger's/Austism. I also have a dear friend whose adult son has Asperger's. The biggest hallmark of the disorder is the lack of social skills. (That's how I found about my friend's son. I was frowning at his rudeness and she had to explain.) With my students, I see this all the time, too. Like the article said, they simply don't recognize teasing or humor or sarcasm, and so take everything literally and thus get offended easily. And the "lack of empathy/not seeing another POV" is another biggie. Again, I see this. A student will do something rude not because they are inherently so but simply because they literally can't think of how the other person would see it.

However, and I can't emphasize this enough, simply saying a person has A/A should not be an excuse for bad behavior. With our students, we correct them (say, by making them apologize to the person they've hurt) to teach them that some things are inappropriate. My friend spent most of her son's childhood teaching him how to cope and function in a different world. I actually didn't realize there was something different about him until several months into our friendship. Something felt "off," but I couldn't put my finger on it, until he displayed unabashed rudeness and my friend explained. Until then I just thought he was a computer whiz/sci-fi fanboy like the guys I knew in college.

That would certainly explain a lot about Ven's behavior, but it still doesn't excuse it.
    I agree - it doesn't excuse his behavior, especially if he was diagnosed and given special schooling. We are fortunate to have schools that work with special needs kids. Ven was brought up in Guyana as part of a non-native culture. If he has Asperger's, he may not have been diagnosed or been able to have the type of training that you are able to offer those with whom you work. IDK.

I've recently been the target of some bullying in the workplace by people who have had every advantage in life. They are just inherently mean. I've never gotten that vibe from Ven. He seems "off" (as you described your friend's son) in a way that is similar to my friend's son.
    Florimel and Babbred like this.

What surprises me is how often and how many of the designers don't like the out of the box challenges and basically try to skate by. Ven doesn't like prints and instead of embracing the challenge did as little a possible with it. If fact it seems the majority of the designers hate prints over the past 10 seasons only Uli and Mondo seemed to embrace using prints.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Kenley used quite a bit of color - if I remember correctly, she had a fondness for polka dots. She also had a fondness for copying the work of other better-known designers, so maybe the two cancel each other out.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I agree - it doesn't excuse his behavior, especially if he was diagnosed and given special schooling. We are fortunate to have schools that work with special needs kids. Ven was brought up in Guyana as part of a non-native culture. If he has Asperger's, he may not have been diagnosed or been able to have the type of training that you are able to offer those with whom you work. IDK.

I've recently been the target of some bullying in the workplace by people who have had every advantage in life. They are just inherently mean. I've never gotten that vibe from Ven. He seems "off" (as you described your friend's son) in a way that is similar to my friend's son.
    Isn't Asperger's a relatively new diagnosis, so I am wondering if it is new enough that he might not necessarily been diagnosed as a kid? I also don't know how it is in Guyana either. If he hasn't ever been diagnosed, then perhaps as an adult no one would have ever thought it thinking it was just how his personality was. I also don't think he comes off as being a mean person, not that treating a person the way he did is ever ok. I do think he seems "off" though. He doesn't seem to have the greatest social skills and I always found the flat affect he has a bit odd.
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast