+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Ven Budhu - Season 10

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Ven Budhu - Season 10

It would have been one thing - one forgivable thing - to make the comment that he felt his client, as a plus-size woman, was more challenging than the others. If he had stopped there, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. But to go on and on and on, belittling her to her face . . . . well, that's gonna take awhile to get over. The whole thing was just plain ugly.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Well, this past episode sheds new light on the "fashion faux pas" section of his profile above:
    A fashion faux pas that drives me crazy is when a grown-a## woman tries to look cutesy way tooooo hard. For example 40 years old, size 22, and wears small pink clips with bows in her hair.
    Clearly, he thinks 40 is "old" and you should just pack it in.
    redsox girl and Babbred like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

He's 28 what is he going to do when he hits 40?
    justCoz and jucamer like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Well, this past episode sheds new light on the "fashion faux pas" section of his profile above:

Clearly, he thinks 40 is "old" and you should just pack it in.
    Also, has he looked in a mirror? He is not exactly trim himself. That is what makes his comments so mean-spirited and confusing!
    redsox girl and jucamer like this.

I think he showed his lack of intelligence with his statements in this show, but I also recall that more than a few designers in other seasons have reacted the same way when challenged with clients that were not typical model types, whether mothers, expectant mothers, children, etc., etc., and so forth. Some of those have gone on to win or appear among the top 3. The first thing I thought of was that he's far from slim himself. It's dumb because the majority of the clothes buying public are average people.

Then came the over 40 comment. I wonder if he would turn down a chance to design for, say a Helen Mirren, Michelle Pfeiffer, Goldie Hawn, Glenn Close, for example.

The third dumb remark was that men are better designers than women. I am far from being a strong feminist, but I think that's just plan ridiculous. If someone says that female athletes cannot win against male athletes of the same talent level, I agree, But what does gender have to do with fashion design? I still like most of his clothes, but if he wants to succeed, he'd be wise to learn that it's better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Was over at Ven's twitter account and he's blaming it all on his client still.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Was over at Ven's twitter account and he's blaming it all on his client still.
    You are joking! He is so full of himself! What a shame because he is talented. If he keeps insulting his clients, he's not going to have a career in fashion. What an idiot

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

He tweeted, "Editing of episode was horrible..but I am sending my sincere apologies to everyone."

If this tweet is the only sincere apology he's sending, it's not enough. If he means, "I'm contacting Terri and everyone connected with the show to apologize," it's already too late. The season is done filming, right?

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Then came the over 40 comment. I wonder if he would turn down a chance to design for, say a Helen Mirren, Michelle Pfeiffer, Goldie Hawn, Glenn Close, for example.
    Or Nina Garcia who is 47? Or Heidi Klum who is 39? Toss me in a dust bin already. I'm 3 months older that Heidi and clearly not worthy.

The plus size comment is offensive enough for me to hate Ven and I've expressed that thoroughly in the episode thread. So turning to the age thing, there are a VERY limited number of 20-somethings with vastly disposable incomes to spend money on fashion. Sure, there's the Hollywood crowd, but those are largely loaners. There are those freaky trust fund babies, but how many of those are left these days (aside from Gallery Girls, which I've seen about 4 minutes of). In my world--albeit limited--the people I know who have the funds and do spend crazy amounts on clothes, who have the Neiman Marcus personal shopper on email, who have friggin Escada shipped for review, who have Channel clutches refurbished for more than my car note? All ladies 55+ who have worked their butts off in their careers. Thirty years ago, they were busy with kids and the start of their career. I'm not remotely there, but they are great inspiration, even if I never own anything Escada or Channel. But I hate the ageist crap dumped out by Ven just as much as I hate his sizeist crap.
    Florimel and redsox girl like this.

I can't believe he made that lovely woman cry without any remorse. That outfit was so wrong on so many levels.
    redsox girl likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast