+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: All Stars 3/22 Finale Part 2 Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All Stars 3/22 Finale Part 2 Discussion **Spoilers**

Probably the one thing that got me the most? - Mondo's collection you could clearly tell which one Mila probably had the most hand in...

The pants on the scrap fabric outfit.

They're similar to the pants she made in the first challenge of this season. The difference was that smartly - the cutout pieces are just at the sides of the pants so they didn't look too off.

Was anyone, other than Mondo, even remotely surprised that Mondo won? Lifetime needed to make up for the Gretchen win in his season, plus they had to prefer that one of their own designers (as opposed to someone like Austin, who was on the show when it aired on Bravo) won.

I don't dislike Mondo, though I found him more likable on his original season, but the whole thing just seemed extremely predictable to me from the get go.

But hey, terrific consolation prizes with the trips to Paris.

I found Mondo to be extremely obnoxious last week and was disappointed that he won on a personal level. In all fairness, though, I have to say that I liked Mondo's collection the best. You pretty much nailed it, Critical. Austin had some interesting pieces (I loved the lace laquer dress like the judges), but they were too disparate. You just didn't get a feel for where Austin was going with it all. And that whole vampire story was just bizarre. I kept thinking "Anne Rice" the whole time he was giving his spiel.

Michael had some nice looking dresses, but they also looked like something you could get at a JC Penney's or Sears. The only one that said "couture" was the last dress, which was my favorite out of his collection. You knew he was going to lose because the judges kept calling it "commercial," which is the kiss of death on this show. They also couldn't let him win because they picked Gretchen for that reason and saw what a headache that turned out to be.

Mondo had a cohesive collection with a clear POV, and I loved most of his looks. I thought the Rorschache (?) dress was cool and would wear it if I could afford it.

Speaking of which, I live in Dallas, home of the original Neiman Marcus. I might sashay down there this weekend and see Mondo's stuff. I think it will be cool to see it in person.

And yeah, Austin might not have been rude, but it was clear that he was NOT happy about losing. I can't really blame him, though, since they all worked so hard these past weeks. I wonder if he knew deep down that he and Michael couldn't win, and was partly angry over that?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    And yeah, Austin might not have been rude, but it was clear that he was NOT happy about losing. I can't really blame him, though, since they all worked so hard these past weeks. I wonder if he knew deep down that he and Michael couldn't win, and was partly angry over that?
    I don't think it was that he COULDN'T win, but it was going to be a challenge after the mistake those judges made in Season 8 when Gretchen won.

If Austin had a 100 percent complete and cohesive collection, and had Mondo pulled a Gretchen in some of his designs and STILL won? Yeah, I'd been really irritated too.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he were irritated because unlike he and Michael, Mondo had the chance before to win - he was the only one who had shown a final runway look (well and it count as they do decoys too). So probably he felt like you said for that reason.

Austin though has had a successful post "PR" career though (and will - people really do like his designs and I think he even now can expand it to wedding gowns), so he knew to carefully work around his personal opinions about this season and remain professional. That's what I liked about him - he'd admit his mistake, he might also not like certain designs winning over his (some justifiably), but he never blew up about it.

I'm happy Mondo won especially since he was robbed in his season. I liked his collection, large buttons and pockets included. He's very talented and I wish him well.

That said, I thought Austin had a chance but I agre with those of you who have already mentioned his collection wasn't cohesive....at all. The bridal dress, although beautiful, was his downfall. It would be tough to market his grouping of garments at Nieman's.

I believe the designer who has matured the most is Michael. He's come a long way since his season.
    Allie likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My critiques:

Austin:

1st look: I hate the pants on this outfit. I donít think they go with the jacket, sort of a rock and roll biker chick meets circus performer. Although frankly I canít think of anything that would go well with the pants. Theyíre awful!

2nd look: Another outfit with a mysterious bulge. Iím glad Austin didnít continue this trend in his whole collection.

3rd look: On the runway, I loved this lookÖuntil the model turned around and I saw the pink scrunchie sticking out from the skirt. It looks like the model sat on the edge of her tub while putting on her shoes and didnít realize she got a bath scrunchie wedged in her crack before heading for the runway.

4th look: I liked this dress better on the runway. Seeing pictures of it today I donít like how the dress is bound at the knees. This should have been in Mondoís therapy collection as the straightjacket dress.

5th look: I feel like Iíve seen this look before. Was it Kara that did this already? Thereís that darn bath scrunchie again, this time peeking out of the neckline at the front of the outfit. Where did Austin get the accessories for his collectionóBed, Bath and Beyond?

6th look: I really like the wedding dress but question having black gloves and a black veil with it. I associate black with funerals so that makes it an odd choice for a wedding ensemble.

Overall impression of collection: I knew Austin was in trouble even before the judges spoke because there was nothing cohesive about the collection. I donít see the same woman wearing all of these looks and thereís no element that ties them all togetherÖunless I missed the bath scrunchies hidden on the other outfits.

Michael:

1st look: I donít like how wide the pant leg is. It makes the modelís legs look wide and just appears ill-fitting. The over-abundance of necklaces in the front coupled with the bare back is odd to me.

2nd look: I like the shape of this dress. I wouldnít be able to wear it because Iím too fat but if I was skinny Iíd love a dress like this. Maybe just a bit longer though!

3rd look: Thereís something a little off with the lower half of this dress. Does it have pockets or is the model just big in the hips? The way the skirt is bunching up Iíd guess there are construction issues.

4th look: This was my favorite of Michaelís collection. I donít like my arms so I like having sleeves to cover them. Once again, itís a bit too short for my liking.

5th look: I wouldnít wear a dress thatís totally strapless. I have too much of a load up top to risk them spilling over if the top of the dress doesnít hold up. Other than that, itís a nice dress.

6th look: Iíve seen this look so many times on Project Runway. Yawnn! It doesnít take any skill to drape a dress like that and yet somehow Michael always has problems with his gaping open in the back.

Overall impression of collection: Michaelís collection was nice but not very original or imaginative. I donít see how the 6th look fits into the Serengeti theme but whatever.

Mondo:
    1st look: This is a nice outfit. Iím glad it has tights with it because otherwise I think it would be way too short.

2nd look: I hate the over-sized buttons and the pockets on this dress. The pockets look like oven mitts.

3rd look: Unfortunately, I can see Milaís influence in this outfit. The pants are totally something she would do and I hate that look. I also donít care for the bottom of the shirt. I feel like it needs to be tucked in, but then youíd see more of the hideous pants so I guess thatís not a great solution.

4th look: Again with the over-sized buttons and oven mitt pockets. Thereís too much going on in this outfit with the white undershirt, one red sleeve, one black sleeve, the jacket, voluminous pants. Even just the print on the shirt paired with the print on the jacket is too much for me. The whole look is unfeminine and outdated to me.

5th look: Once again, Iíve seen this look so many times on Project Runway. It was pretty the first time I saw it but I want to see something else now. And I donít like the one red cuff. Everything else is symmetrical so it seems like a mistake.

6th look: Flashy dress but Iím not sure how it ties into Therapy or the rest of the collection.

Overall impression of collection: You can just stamp this collection with a big old ďI GIVE UPĒ sign. I donít like how Mondo restricted his collection to so few colors and his personal tragic styling choices (gray and black plaids, oversized buttons, odd pockets) are showing up more and more in his clothes, much to my concern. I think a little Mondo goes a long way and he needs to tone down what he likes and rev up what appeals to his customers (more colors, more pattern variations, etc).

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Project Runway All-Stars was a huge letdown to me. I was so looking forward to it but it failed to deliver. How did it go so wrong? Was it the absence of Heidi, Tim, and the regular judges? Was it that the show couldn't possibly live up to the hype? Were some of the wrong people brought back as all-stars? Were the designers overconfident because they were already deemed all-stars so they had nothing to prove? Were they not given enough time or materials to fully realize their potential? Or am I just too jaded because I've seen these designers before so what was original in their first season is now been there-done that?

I think it's some of all of that. Personally, I wouldn't have included April, Mila, Kara, and a few others on an all-star show. Did they have problems getting other potential all-stars, like Kayne Gillaspie, Daniel Vosovic, Korto Momolu? Seriously, they could have chosen some better contestants.

I wish they had given more realistic challenges and more time, especially for the finale. 4 days to complete a whole collection is not nearly enough time. The designers got shorted on the ability to bring their visions to life in such little time and we got shorted in seeing their full potential.

I have a general problem with the speeded-up pace of some reality shows. Faster is not always better when it comes to constructing a house or creating fashions. I cringe on shows where they attempt to do a whole kitchen makeover in 24 or 48 hours because, yeah, they might finish on time barely but what quality is going to be in it? How long is it going to last? Is it going to look right from the outside but be missing something it needs internally because key components were overlooked in the rush to get things done? I’d rather have things be done with the focus on getting it right rather than rushing to complete it under a ridiculous timeline.

I did really miss Tim. He brings so much humor and personality, as well as good advice to the designers when they choose to listen to him. Without Tim, the whole mood of the show seems more grim and pressure-driven. Perhaps Mondo wouldn’t have come across so obnoxious this season if he had Tim to let off some steam to and to redirect him.

I’m not happy that Michael made it to the final three, considering I don’t think of him as an all-star in the first place. I was glad he was the first to go, though. He did have a cohesive final collection and while there was nothing really great about it, there was nothing really wrong with it, either, so I feared that he might win because Austin and Mondo failed to bring it for the finale.

I was hoping that Austin would win because he seems to do better under pressure than Mondo, psychologically-speaking anyway. Austin might resort to muttering curse words but he doesn’t flip out on other people or act like a little brat when he’s creatively stumped.

However, although Mondo may be mentally defeated, he’s still able to design when he’s not feeling it. I have days at work where I’m not feeling it and I don’t get anything done so I respect that he can carry on, especially in a creative field, when he’s having problems.

I was sooooo happy to see Tim on the previews of the next episode of Project Runway! I’m really looking forward to seeing him again. If they do another Project Runway All-Stars in the future and Tim is not in it, I’m not sure if I’d bother watching it. This was one of the most disappointing seasons of PF to me. I almost wish my favorites hadn’t been brought back so I could forever remember them from their glory days.
    jadewarlock, Jezebella and Babbred like this.

After the Runway: I don't know why Austin chose an Edwardian/Victorian get-up without socks. Was it to go along with his pinched lips? Made me laugh, anyway...Lord Byron on the prowl.

The women wanted Austin's black lacquered lace dress with the waves over one hip. Yes, it was interesting, but like with his first look, the hips are overemphasized. I loved the prints Michael chose for his desert theme. I especially appreciate that he included a full back on one of them. I love the jacket on Mondo's first entry and the reversible(?) print on his last. That print is gorgeous.

I can see why he won. He really is more versatile a designer than the other two. I hope we get to see a little vignette of him working on Nina's team at Marie Claire - now that would be interesting. The Neiman Marcus guy said the boutiques would be open late spring/summer as well as online and that they would advertise ahead of time. During the after show, Mondo said he is already working on that collection - so it won't necessarily include pieces shown on the runway.

I mean really, the trips for two to Paris sounded wonderful - as in perhaps Austin could go for a couture show - but then the fine print popped up and it is only for a weekend at a swank hotel. After jet-lag, what can you do except enjoy the hotel? At least there was a consolation prize, but perhaps the money spent on the trips would be appreciated by Austin and Michael more than sleeping on an airplane.

P.S. Mondo hasn't been invisible, particularly right after his season when he was a red carpet commentator at the Oscars.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Pikachu, I know Korto was in the first "all-stars" challenge prior to the start of the shows being made by Lifetime. She placed second again, and I think after being rookie-do'd there, she would've said no to a third try (though I do think she'd mopped the floor with all three finalists, so that may also be a reason).

Daniel I think also was on that challenge, but can't verify that.

I do think they needed more of the old Bravo run designers, but given that many of them are miles better than the Lifetime ones IMHO, they weren't going to do that.

And also, you are most likely spot on in regard to Tim and his influence on Mondo. I think it showed in this collection, which IMHO wasn't as strong as his first one in the variety category.

Yes, both were on the first All Star show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    After the Runway: I don't know why Austin chose an Edwardian/Victorian get-up without socks. Was it to go along with his pinched lips? Made me laugh, anyway...Lord Byron on the prowl.
    I saw that get-up and instantly thought of Judy Garland's "Born in a Trunk" number from A Star Is Born. Yeesh.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." Ė Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast