+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: All Stars 3/22 Finale Part 2 Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All Stars 3/22 Finale Part 2 Discussion **Spoilers**

Was it Mondo, Austin and Michael in that order like the spoilers said? Maybe that was one reason why I was not so invested. I stumbled upon the poorly kept secret at the very beginning. Heck a lot of people assumed this was done to give Mondo a win.
    jucamer likes this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Yeah, was there a second and third place?

Yay Mondo!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Was anyone, other than Mondo, even remotely surprised that Mondo won? Lifetime needed to make up for the Gretchen win in his season, plus they had to prefer that one of their own designers (as opposed to someone like Austin, who was on the show when it aired on Bravo) won.

I don't dislike Mondo, though I found him more likable on his original season, but the whole thing just seemed extremely predictable to me from the get go.

But hey, terrific consolation prizes with the trips to Paris.
    Actually, I was - I thought Austin would pull out the win especially with that lovely wedding dress. I think his downfall and the edge that helped Mondo win was that Austin had the pins in the dress, and that might've been told in case of a dead-heat tie.

The Neiman Marcus prize also factored in - Mondo has more outfits, and elegant to funky, that can be put in that little booth suite for the business. They were in a way showing that with the comparison between the two shows.

I also do think that Austin being on the Bravo channel's version hurt him, and I think it's obvious he was not happy with the decision. He was gracious mind you, but not happy. I can't say as I blame him - he like Korto were screwed by the change of networks IMHO.

Austin is a very good actor too - he really had me guessing, though I knew he was hiding something one way or the other but you couldn't tell which one.

Michael is the ONLY one who'd surprised me if he won. His outfits were not well made and I don't think he'd been able to adapt quickly enough to have a booth in Neiman Marcus.

Really it was Austin and Mondo's to lose/win this season.

ETA - I do respect your opinions RedSoxGirl, but I do find them funny that they're very parallel to how people felt about Gretchen winning over Mondo in season 8. This season, I personally was going to be OK with either Mondo or Austin winning. I knew both had excellent designs throughout the season, had several wins and do have good designs (mostly when not pressured).

What I wish they'd done this season was have maybe one or two fewer designers and more time between projects. Even the absolute best work I felt paled to say Korto's seat belt jacket or Seth Aaron's houndstooth coat. I think ALL of them could've had better outfits up there if they were allowed to actually put designs in details.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 03-22-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    Allie likes this.

Did I hear correctly that the runners-up got a wekEND trip to Paris? I'm sure they are happy they received something, but you can't see a lot of Paris in a weekend.

I thought Mondo would win from the beginning like a lot of people, but in the end I thought Austin may have squeaked in. I think Mondo may have won because his collection was just a good enough combo of wow for the runway and ready to wear enough to go right into Neimans. Micheals was too ready to wear and Austin's was too out there. I really was rooting for Austin. I am now just glad its done. If I had to hear Angela enunciate one more syllable I was going to poke my eye out with a sharp stick.
    mushybrain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    What I wish they'd done this season was have maybe one or two fewer designers and more time between projects. Even the absolute best work I felt paled to say Korto's seat belt jacket or Seth Aaron's houndstooth coat. I think ALL of them could've had better outfits up there if they were allowed to actually put designs in details.
    I agree. I LOVED SA's coat. In fact I loved all the work in his line. I will watch the finale part 2 later to see the details. I would have been happy with any of them winning, but I was leaning more toward Austin and Michael leading up to it. I haven't seen the final runway, so I reserve the right to say "never mind." ;-)

Amazed at what they produced in only 4 days. Loved Austin's the best, then Mondo, then Michael's. Still I think all will be successful. Glad that Michael did get away from his signature dress and was able to design a ready to wear commercial collection. Best of Luck to all.
    Allie likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I wasn't really wowed by any of the collections. I was particularly sorry that they all basically stuck to four colors: white, black, grey, and red.
    I'm tired of so many PR collections where the predominant color is black. You'd think they were all designing for couture funerals.
    pikachu and jadewarlock like this.

I'm not Mondo's biggest fan, but I thought his collection was the most cohesive. Austin's and Michael's were good, but neither seemed like a collection. It definitely wasn't great work, but for less than a week, it was amazing. I can't imagine what they all could have done if they were given the same amount of time that finalists are given in a normal season.

I liked the Rorschach prints Mondo did on several of the garments. I'd wear a t-shirt with that print on it. My only criticism is that with several pairs of pants, the pattern met awkwardly at the back seam and made weird black spots on the butt. It was distracting to the line of the clothing.

This season was fun, but I'm ready for Tim, Heidi, Nina and Michael!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm not Mondo's biggest fan, but I thought his collection was the most cohesive. Austin's and Michael's were good, but neither seemed like a collection. It definitely wasn't great work, but for less than a week, it was amazing. I can't imagine what they all could have done if they were given the same amount of time that finalists are given in a normal season.

I liked the Rorschach prints Mondo did on several of the garments. I'd wear a t-shirt with that print on it. My only criticism is that with several pairs of pants, the pattern met awkwardly at the back seam and made weird black spots on the butt. It was distracting to the line of the clothing.

This season was fun, but I'm ready for Tim, Heidi, Nina and Michael!
    I noticed that too! But since nobody brought it up, I thought maybe I was seeing things. I feel like I've noticed things like that happening more in the Lifetime years -- a designer has technical flaws like that in their garment, but everyone in the room seems to ignore it. Just another reason the Lifetime years have been a dud so far.
    jucamer likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I thought the patterns Mondo used worked really well with his "Therapy" theme, but they were definitely tricky at the seams. I think if he'd had more time, those seams would have looked better.

I'm sure they'll work that out if those pants are mass produced for NM. I don't think the average woman wants everyone staring at the back of her pants because there's a black spot in the wrong place.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast