+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: All Stars 3/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: All Stars 3/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

My critiques: I liked this challenge because it was a reality check for the designers. All of them like to create a show-stopping garment for the runway but ultimately theyíre going to make money off their fashions by getting people to buy and wear them in real life. The clothes have to not only look good but be reasonably priced and make a profit for the designer.

Honestly, I didnít love any of the outfits this week. All of them had something I didnít like and the prices were off-putting to me.

Austin: Iím still in sticker shock over the prices being given for these outfits. $500 for a raincoat? Seriously??? Heck, Iíd rather get wet! Or use my little $10 umbrella from Walmart to keep me dry. So what if itís not fashionable? When I get where Iím going, I shake it dry, collapse it down, and put it back in my purse.

I love the color of Austinís outfit. I thought taffeta was an odd choice for raincoat material, but then Iím not sure what is usually used. I thought it would be a fabric that is more water-resistant. Iím not sure how this is supposed to be worn, though. Do you put it over your clothes or is the coat also your dress? Iíd feel kind of like a subway flasher walking around in this outfit without something underneath it.

Kenley: And the old Kenley is back with the same retro outfit. I wasnít as in love with the print as Kenley was. The pale blue background doesnít work too well with the peacock feathers IMO. Also, the print didnít work with Kenleyís concept so she should have been smart and chosen a different fabric. Unfortunately, sheís Kenley the bull-headed so she canít use common sense or take advice from anyone.

Iím not a fan of Kenleyís but I thought she deserved to go to the finals more than Michael did. She at least has a defined style and good tailoring skills (except when it comes to matching up prints along seams).

Michael: I hate that the judges gave Michael a pass on this outfit. Itís almost shapeless. He had to put a closure around the neck to keep it from falling off the model. Isaac even pointed that out and yet it didnít come up in deliberations! If the judges had looked, they would have noticed that the necklace covers up what is once again a too-plunging neckline and the back is gaping open again. I agreed with Austin that this look is very inappropriate for regular wear. I have no clue what the judges see in Michael. I want to throw up every time they tell him what a talented designer he is.

Mondo: This is kind of a flapper-style sack dress. I donít like the bunched up area at the top of the skirt and I agree with Isaac that it would have looked better with a cinched waist.

On the after the runway show, they brought out a model wearing the dress being sold in Nanette Leporeís store and I was surprised to see that they left the waist the same! I thought for sure they would modify the dress to make it more sellable.

BTW, I disagree with Kenley telling Mondo he needs to learn how to sketch. Clearly the man knows how to create winning fashions. Walt Disney created the worldís most iconic cartoon characters and the man couldnít draw to save his life. Even his signature was created for him, itís not his actual handwriting! It would be helpful if Mondo was able to sketch so that he could generate a lot of ideas and pass them on to assistants to help him wok on them all but itís sure not a necessity. Perhaps Mondo aspires to work for private clients rather than mass produce his outfits in which case it wouldnít matter if he could sketch or not.
    Last edited by pikachu; 03-09-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    NFL1 and Photobabe like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    Is there anyone here that DIDN'T think Mondo and Austin would be 2 of the 3 finalists? That was etched in stone before the season even started....and it was beyond obvious the whole time.
    i saw that even before the all stars cast was annonced from day 0, it was between Mondo and Austin.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    Is there anyone here that DIDN'T think Mondo and Austin would be 2 of the 3 finalists? That was etched in stone before the season even started....and it was beyond obvious the whole time.
    That would be me. I really had no idea.

FORT Fogey

I really do think Michael Costello has a knack for draping. His work really is "pretty" to my eyes.

But it's always the same old....drape, drape and more drape.

I am not a huge Austen fan, but at least what he would put forward in a final collection would have some diversity.

I would love to have seen Kenley in the finals. I like her work. I suppose I have to agree about the similar silhouette complaint, but at least there is diversity in patterns and colors. If she were to just open her mind a smidge, she' do great things.

I think honestly Michael made it to the final three because they wanted to guarantee either Austin or Mondo won. If Michael did manage to win this, it would be a travesty of Gretchen proportions.

Kenley however they had a fighting chance...

... and yes, I now remember that she did make final three for sure in her season. She was in the same season as Korto, who is one whom I felt has been gyped on a win too (not so much with that season winner but the first all-stars special).

Now that the pictures are up, I really like Austin's. And still think Mondo's was a mess. And I really haven't liked a lot of what Austin has done this year. Michael should have gone home. Who would wear that? He designs shapeless junk that in no way flatters a woman's body. Like that thing in the challenge he won a few weeks ago.

FORT Fogey

It is odd that Mondo's dress has no shape and that was the complaint she had when she saw Kenleys dress. In looking at the pictures, the yellow section of Mondo's dress stands out, not in a good way. It would have been better to have it not in such stark contrast to the other colors which go together perfectly.

On second look Austin's coat, though beautiful, is not marketable. There is so much fabric that the only buyer would be a very tall thin woman. He does not understand the womans body as they say so often. He is about the show of it all.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 03-09-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

If he had started the skirt where the yellow starts, I think it would have been a much prettier dress, with a fuller skirt.

Something like this:

Last edited by pikachu; 03-09-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    Photobabe likes this.

FORT Fogey

I thought Austin should have been GONE in the few weeks where everything was frumpy, or like a 10 year old would wear!! I don't mind Michael, I thought the dress was beautiful (though we did see it in the ice cream challenge) it flows nicely, and if the neck and back were corrected, could work for any thin woman!

Looking at the pictures only, I can see why Kenley went home. Man the pattern does not match in the front and the back at all. The neckline seems wrong as well. Michael's looks like he is channeling last year's winner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast