+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: All Stars 3/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: All Stars 3/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

It certainly wasn't my taste, but my daughter and all of her young skinny friends would love to wears Mondo's winning design. If it sells for $350, none of them will get the chance, but they would if they could!!

Glad Michael stayed and Kenley went home.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick View Post
    How did Mondo win? that was horrible!
    I think Mondo won because his does look like it was made for the price it would sell for. Austin's - though nice, didn't look like someone would pay $500 for, Kenley's the same at $350, and Michael's as designed the same issue.

Part of the challenge was to design the outfit to make it also look like you were getting what you were paying for.

I agree with the host that it was not my favorite outfit of Mondo's - it NEEDED to be nipped in a bit. It looks a bit too boxy, and while some curvy women can wear it, you want to not end up looking boxy. The color patterning however looked nice and it is more versatile than the other outfits save Austin's - which could be used as a dress as well as a jacket.

It really was a toss up on the bottom two IMHO - I do agree with the other designers that had Kenley put in the keyhole it'd won out in the end. She let the fabric decide for her.

>>>>>>>>>>>

I wasn't however happy at all with Kenley's "you have to sketch in order to succeed" and snotty attitude toward Mondo. Yeah, he can't sketch, and that is why he only had $32 for his budget compared to the others (he had the bad sketch to show only).

Though I am a jewelry designer, I do not have to sketch anything either and choose not to because it's easier for me to do it in 3d instead. Mondo's case it's let the fabric (3D) speak to him... though I think here he even knows that it could've cost him the season.

I think Kenley however is irritated more because out of the final four, only Mondo actually made it to fashion week in the end. Austin, Michael and Kenley all were eliminated the round before the week - even if they did show decoy shows.

Will maintain it's between Austin and Mondo, with Michael in third.
    Allie likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

If I were 15 years younger and twenty pounds lighter, I'd wear the hell out of Mondo's dress as a day-time, wear with flats or Chuck Taylors while doing weekend errands. That being said, 15 years ago I had no ability to $350 on anything clothing related. But I can see why all those prints and boxy shape (which I liked--it reminded me of dresses I had as a teen in the 80s) would not be all that appealing. Truth be told, I think Nanette allowed it to be picked because it could be made with scraps of left-overs from other dresses and has guaranteed sales built in from the PR audience.

However, I'm so, so glad Kenley is gone. I've never been a fan of her repeated look and inability to match print on seams and, my god, her voice grates--especially on the After the Runway show. I know it's not nice to tell someone to shut up, but I was ever so glad Joanna told her to shut up on the after-show. My ears were seconds away from bleeding.

I can't wait for Heidi to be back. Angela bugs her eyes out on every.single.word. when she announces the challenge or the judging panel. And what was that necklace she was wearing at the runway show? Her house keys?

Is next week the finale or are they going to drag this out over two episodes (let's not hope 3 a la Top Chef).
    Allie, mushybrain, jucamer and 1 others like this.

Sorry....the finale is a 2-parter...I just checked.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Argh! I'm so ready for this to be over.

Thanks May
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

I can't understand why the judges seem to like Michael's and Mondo's designs a lot. Their taste levels are cheap and very "Maxinista" (to quote a TV commercial). That swatch dress that Mondo did had a horrible mix of prints, but of course Nanette Lapore loved it, because it was a designer's dream to be able to use their scrap materials to eke out an extra dress. And I agree with team Kenley-Austin that her dress fulfilled the challenge, however simple it may have looked like. Michael made another muumuu. Austin's the only designer left with any good taste at all.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

My question is, how on Earth did Austin make it to the finals? He should have been gone ages ago.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey

A lack luster episode in a mediocre season.

I was hoping Kenley would make the final 3 because I wanted to see more. I like her clothes. Her specific focus interests me. I knew she was dead in the water when she chose that print and had to eliminate the keyhole. That feature was what the designer loved about her sketch.

Mondo's dress was for very young girls who are very tall and thin. I find it odd he cannot sketch.

Austin's coat was a lot of fabric to be worn over clothes. I liked it though.

Michael. eh

That is all I can muster. I wish they would name these after shows in a way a DVR would pick it up.
    cubsfan55 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    A lack luster episode in a mediocre season.
    Mondo's dress was for very young girls who are very tall and thin. I find it odd he cannot sketch.
    I think it's a schtick. What designer cannot sketch? Has anyone seen sketches by great designers such as Alber Elbaz or Christian Lacroix? He seemed to be more stubbornly intent on not trying to sketch at all. He strikes me as a very disingenuous person (like Michael).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I think Kenley however is irritated more because out of the final four, only Mondo actually made it to fashion week in the end. Austin, Michael and Kenley all were eliminated the round before the week - even if they did show decoy shows.
    Kenley was third in her season, I am pretty sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast