+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: All Stars 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: All Stars 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I saw the cutest onesie shorts on the HGTV show Colorsplash last night. It had a low V neck and no cinched waist. The material was white with random (spaced apart) small pink flower with brown stem. I thought that if Kenley weren't into polka dots and high necklines, this is an outfit that would have won the challenge for her.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'd say being fashion director at Elle and Marie Clare over the last decade so years means she's done a helluva lot in fashion....even without her other credentials. Like her or not - she's got major fashion cred.

Yep - she's done a lot, but she's still a big old sourpuss and I wouldn't miss her if she left.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDutchWoman View Post
    As someone else posted I did also not think the clothes of Michael and Jerell looked the same.

And if I remember correctly yes in Michael's season he was accused of copying but back then his fellow designers did not like him. Thought he was not good enough and got angry and jealous because the judges did like his designs. So some of the competitors started to find stuff and were very nasty towards Michael.
    The copying card gets played several times it seems. They just played it up this ep I think. I remember other designers in other seasons getting the snarky "Look at that skirt ... pant ... color, act act"
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Kenley was accused during her season of copying a designer who was already well known . . . the wedding dress that looked very much like Alexander McQueen's feathery design - even though she adamantly denied it.

What's worse - possibly copying a design idea from a fellow contestant and saying you did see him working on it . . . or . . . making what's almost an exact copy of a FAMOUS person's work that everyone has seen and being delusional enough to believe it was your own?
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Kenley was accused during her season of copying a designer who was already well known . . . the wedding dress that looked very much like Alexander McQueen's feathery design - even though she adamantly denied it.

What's worse - possibly copying a design idea from a fellow contestant and saying you did see him working on it . . . or . . . making what's almost an exact copy of a FAMOUS person's work that everyone has seen and being delusional enough to believe it was your own?
    I remember that one! sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post

Although a lot will probably disagree with me here but I've always thought Mondo was the one who played the victim card. And he did it again in this episode, while crying and saying they trashed an outfit he made in honor of his mother. I don't remember if his mother is alive or not but it was totally unnecessary to bring this into it.
    Personally, I thought revealing his having HIV positive status on the show was not the appropriate thing to do but rather a cry for attention. I know a lot of people have tons of sympathy for him because of this and I understand that. The show was not the place to do this unless you want a sympathy vote. None of us can say how long we'll live...and I say that after being really sick and almost dying last year. Any of us can die at any time, regardless of age.
    That being said, I still think he's a genius fashion designer, probably a lot better than most of the designers we've seen on the show. He really doesn't need to play the victim...his work speaks for itself...although I thought this last creation wasn't his best but all in all, probably better than most of the others. I think his styling and accessories were his downfall...not the outfit itself.
    I really don't "hate" him and I would totally understand and be satisfied if he won this competition. Without a doubt, he deserved to win against Gretchen.
    OK, I admit Mondo is among my favorites (though I also enjoyed watching Gordana and Mila too), I see your point and will make my assessment.

I wasn't fond of Mondo's cryfest after the critique, but I can understand a little given that Kenley's outfit looks like it should've been worn by one of the children in "Tree of Life" when they were filming the toddler scenes. (Seriously save the cinched waist it fits in that era - '40s toddler wear). The top wasn't strong though, and the pants - while I personally didn't mind the print, didn't compliment the top. It was off, unusual for Mondo who can put mismatched patterns together to work. I think he focused too much on his mom this go, and it hurt him.

While I do think Mondo plays the victim card, and really needs to let his work speak for itself, I can see that it may have been better for him to reveal the issue when he did because his work just started to get even better after that revelation in his first season.

I think in this case, he needed the kick in the butt because it should make him work harder now because he doesn't want to be trashed like that again. His lowest mark his first season had a similar outcome,
    and he turned it around.

Michael? - Yeah, he has always played the victim because he was not a fashion school student (he was self-taught). So what? - I'm self taught in photography and jewelrymaking, and both of those I've received huge accolaides and the like because it's a natural talent - a gift. Sure there are people better than me, but I don't care so much about that. What I care about is what I can do to show people who I am - some will like me others not. But the only time I am a victim is when I truly am - and unfortunately I have been set up in the past and had someone try to ruin one of my jewelry pieces that I was entering in a fair. (BTW, both cases - the perp was caught and I was vindicated).

It definitely shouldn't matter if someone is self-taught. I don't think Coco Chanel went to any school for design and who can dispute her talent?
    About my feelings concerning Mondo, I'm truly not trying to change anyone's else's opinion...just stating what I feel. In many ways, Mondo has had some tough hurdles to overcome but there's no denying his talent, which to me, surpasses most of the others.
    I really envy his way of taking different patterns and making them look so right together. I just don't have that. I'm from the "matchy-match" generation and it's hard to change my ways. He really excells at that.
    I probably have many more options to wear in my closet if only I could do what he does but I can't figure it out so I wear the same "outfits" over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    It definitely shouldn't matter if someone is self-taught. I don't think Coco Chanel went to any school for design and who can dispute her talent?
    About my feelings concerning Mondo, I'm truly not trying to change anyone's else's opinion...just stating what I feel. In many ways, Mondo has had some tough hurdles to overcome but there's no denying his talent, which to me, surpasses most of the others.
    I really envy his way of taking different patterns and making them look so right together. I just don't have that. I'm from the "matchy-match" generation and it's hard to change my ways. He really excells at that.
    I probably have many more options to wear in my closet if only I could do what he does but I can't figure it out so I wear the same "outfits" over and over.
    Don't worry, I know and I agree with you on points with Mondo. That's what makes it so frustrating because he hurts his creativity more than helps when he does that. Hopefully he's had a catharsis now and will focus on his designs more.

There are several I'd like to see win, but in Mondo's case it'd be vindication for losing to such an awful designer in Gretchen. Then again, I fear he's going to be the male version of Korto - second place both times, and in reverse order of her case - a subpar winner his first go and a slightly stronger designer second. Honestly I'd rather he be ousted before the finals before that.

One thing I most definately am not is a troll. I will admit I really miss Heidi & Tim & yes Michael. Nina I could do without. Listening to Issac is like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. I love Michale Kor's clothes. I try to by at least 1 item a year from his line. Heck I just spent $25 yesterday on a grey t shirt of his that I have almost the exact duplicate from Forever 21 that I paid $5 for. Miss Bunny so wishes Target & Michael Kors would team-up for a collection. I have bought Issac's clothes before but I found the quality to be lacking.
    Ok now on to this show: I'll check back in here but after they aufed Rami I won't be watching. The judges keep contradicting themselves. Until they get it together Thursday nights are devoted to Grey's. Isn't it Fashion Week in NY? Wonder if PR is there?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I thought I would hate the Fashion Show thinking it nothing but a rip off Project Runway but I caught all of season 2 and I was surprised how much I liked it and Isaac was a very good mentor as well as jugde.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread