+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Project Accessory 10/27 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Project Accessory 10/27 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Anyone watching?

Pleas keep all Accessory discussion in here till 11:30PM PT / 2:30AM ET. The Project Runway finale thread remains open for discussion of that show, and After the Runway which airs after Accessory.

Enjoy the bags & bling!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Project Accessory 10/27 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I watched it and have to say I'm a little mixed - not because of the show itself or the process, but the designers.

Have to admit I wasn't surprised about the winner of the first challenge because a. she created a nice set of jewelry out of more mundane materials, and b. it is indeed a bit more modern and works with denim and jeans. That said... matches don't work in every day wear just because of the danger of lighting the matches.

I'm not sure what Collette designed, but I hope it wasn't the crystal jewely set with the belt. It actually looked nice together and was pretty well made. Then again... if it was I wouldn't be surprised because a. Nicolette was a rock jewelry designer and therefore they know this was an off day (or more because they want variety in the designers) and b. hers was probably had the most materials that are obvious jewelry.

Not really easy for me to analyze the whole of the contestants because there were so many, but I do have to admit it's nice to have a handsome gentleman on this show and he not be gay (James). That said... he did too much with his necklace and jewelry. Single row of shells on the necklace would've been better. The belt and earrings weren't too bad. The necklace made too MUCH of a statement, and unlike the gentleman who designs church hats, it wasn't interesting.

(BTW, I don't have his name right, but I liked the church hat guy's hats. I'm hoping they do a millnery - probably misspelled so apologies - while he's a contestant. I want to see him design a hat under pressure).

Do like the show and its concepts - mostly because I make jewelry (though a while since I've done some of the techniques they showed here), but also because I like the ideas I've come up with from the challenge they already have done. I can't do castings/metalsmith jewelry anymore, but inspiration does come out of shows like this.

I think I'm going to have to get my marbles out and try a different version of a bracelet I've previously made to be a bit more elegant.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Project Accessory was a snoozefest for me. I at least know a little bit about fashion/garment-constructing from taking home ec and having my mom help me make a few outfits. I know nothing about constructing accessories and I'm not even a big lover of accessories (I own ONE belt, have bought the same style of shoes for years, rarely wear jewelry) so the jargon was lost on me. I struggled to stay interested and ended up reading a book while listening and half paying attention to the show.

I thought the winner's look was ok but nothing spectacular. I liked Diego's look the most. The pieces were different but still cohesive and looked more expensive than the other designers' looks. I hated the guy with the post-apocalyptic junk. When I get a belt that starts looking like his did, I throw it away. I couldn't believe the female judges were raving about how great it was!

I think I'll pass on this spin-off.
    Debb70 likes this.

Most of what they did yesterday was fabrication - which can also be seen in the fashion clothes industry as being sewn or created from already made items as well as wire, string and the like.

My issue is that I think they're going to do ALL fabrication, no casting (which you can create an item in a day of casting), and yeah... that is a snoozefest.

And I can at least help with most of the jargon - I do this stuff as a small side business. Nothing super elaborate as this stuff, but more elegant than cast metal teeth (I mean really? - That's jewelry?)

The other problem I have is that they're too eager to readily go back to items that can be seen as obvious jewelry - similar to the unusual material challenges we see in "PR." That can become an issue as well with me.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I might have been too hasty in writing off Project Accessory. When I was driving home for lunch today, I remembered that when I first started watching Project Runway I was unfamiliar with a lot of the jargon used (like ruching). I eventually learned what the terms were by the context they were used in the show and that gave me a better understanding of fashion in general.

I usually don't sign off on shows after only one episode, unless the first episode I see is so unwatchable I end up changing the channel, unable to continue. I might have been uninterested in PA but I kept watching. Part of my distraction from PA might have been due to my ire at the results of Project Runway and the fact that I was sick yesterday. I stayed home form work not feeling well and was struggling to stay awake after the PR finale.

I'll probably watch PA next week and though I might be tempted to do something else at the same time, I'll try to give it my undivided attention so I can being learning the talk of the shop and see if it's a show I might be able to get into.

I would have liked the lead hostess to be recognizable. Who was she? I missed the first part. I was not impressed with her.

I must have poor taste as I didn't care for the winner's pieces and I liked the one they sent home. Oh well.

I do wishe they would calm down that loud, dramatic music they played during the judging scene. OMG. It was so loud, I could barely hear the voices. Very odd.

I wasn't familiar with the hostess, either.

To me, it was painful that they made the show an exact copy of Project Runway. The hostess resembles Heidi Klum more than a little, a lot of the phrases they used were the same, they had a Tim Gunn-like mentor (not a man but someone to play that role), similar dramatic music, etc. I wish they had given this show a bit more of its own flavor instead of making it a clone of Project Runway. Just because it was inspired by PR doesn't mean it has to follow its format letter by letter!

Maybe after a few seasons (if it lasts that long) it will become its own show with its own characteristics.
    Debb70 likes this.

Molly Sims from what I know is a model, which if that's true is again a copy of the PR show because Klum also was a model (or still is I don't know).

I know some will not understand the models, and I admit I didn't quite either, but then again I can see the need for them. It allows the judges to see the proportions of the jewelry on a wearer as well as how it moves. One reason why the winner won was that the jewelry did move fluidly, which made it look expensive (well moreso when it is actually wood and chandelier connectors). It's also why a couple didn't do well or were safe - the jewelry was a tad too out of proportion and didn't flow well.

FORT Fogey

So far I like this show. I think the same format as PR is a good choice.

I noticed the models were terrible at walking! It was comical to watch. I suppose the budget is too small to get a more skilled group and not necessary since their body shape is not crucial. That was apparent. No criticism intended, just an observation.

The winner put a huge amount of work into her pieces. She definately stood out as the victor. I was shocked the guy with the white flower motif was not eliminated! What did they see in that to allow it to survive over the woman who left? She overworked her look, to be sure, but she did so much more than finding fake flowers in the storage unit.

I may warm to Molly but for now she is nervous and it shows. She was strong in the judging segment, however, and that was good. I have to trust that she was chosen for good reason as I am sure there are many out there who would have loved this job. The mentor was not compelling at all. She also seemed very unsure of her role.

Re: Project Accessory 1 (premieres Oct. 29th) - News & Speculation

I liked this show but I am an accessory person!! I agreed with who won but my favorite was "safe". I don't remember names so can't even say who it was. Maybe I'll go on lifetime site and see if they have posted pics...
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast