+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 10/27 Finale Discussion Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 10/27 Finale Discussion Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

Finally watched the finale, part deux. I was happy Anya won, but mostly because that meant sourpuss Josh didn't win. I hated his collection. I think there must be something wrong with me, because those green shorts with the ties hanging down the model's legs were, hands down, the ugliest things I've seen from this show. They made a stick-thin girl look HUGE in the thighs. How is that fashion?? I guess Nina knows what she's talking about, but I don't get it. Plus, he's a grade-a jerk so good riddance. pffft.

I would love to be able to wear the clothes Anya designed. I agree about their simplicity and the lack of layering or showing different things. It was definitely one note. However they were absolutely the clothes I'd love to own and wear, and I bet I'm not the only woman who thinks that way. I adored Victor's first dress. Absolutely lovely, but they were right saying it felt like two shows smushed together. Really like Kimberly, and I liked some of her designs, but it felt kind of meh to me. I get that Josh's were bright and out there, but for me it felt borderline cheesy and cheap.

Hope Anya is successful and remains a happy positive person. Not the most memorable winner but one I enjoyed watching and whose clothes I'd want to wear.
    AZChristian likes this.

FORT Fogey

I actually saw only a very small portion of the finale, and it says a lot about this season that I don't really care if I see it or not. But I will say that I liked Viktor's comment about how winning would have been the cherry on the sundae, but that even without the win, he still had the sundae, so he was okay. I liked the comment because it was gracious and positive and also because it's true. Plenty of people who haven't won have gone on to make careers for themselves--Nick V., Santino, Austin, Chris March etc. Just making an impression on the show can help as much as winning in jump starting a career.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Finally watched the finale, part deux. I was happy Anya won, but mostly because that meant sourpuss Josh didn't win. I hated his collection. I think there must be something wrong with me, because those green shorts with the ties hanging down the model's legs were, hands down, the ugliest things I've seen from this show. They made a stick-thin girl look HUGE in the thighs. How is that fashion?? I guess Nina knows what she's talking about, but I don't get it. Plus, he's a grade-a jerk so good riddance. pffft. I would love to be able to wear the clothes Anya designed. I agree about their simplicity and the lack of layering or showing different things. It was definitely one note. However they were absolutely the clothes I'd love to own and wear, and I bet I'm not the only woman who thinks that way. I adored Victor's first dress. Absolutely lovely, but they were right saying it felt like two shows smushed together. Really like Kimberly, and I liked some of her designs, but it felt kind of meh to me. I get that Josh's were bright and out there, but for me it felt borderline cheesy and cheap.
    Emilio's washer-bikini will always be the epitome of ugliness for me; however, I totally agree that those neon shorts just looked cheap. I felt like the model was advertising surfing gear. There is no way on this planet I would wear that.

I would totally wear Anya's stuff, though. Those colorful dresses were just beautiful. Yes, I feel badly about the lack of tailoring. As we watched the show, my mother commented that she loved Anya's stuff, and I actually frowned and told her, "Yes, but she didn't work as hard as the others since she didn't sew as much." In the end, though, those colors got to me. I'm a color-loving person. As much I liked Josh's prints, they were still only black-and-purple. Those lovely tropical colors of Anya's just swept me away. (That's why I also liked the colorful pieces in Kimberly's collection.)

People have commented on her personal clothing. I love the way she has dressed throughout this season. I'm from the Texas, where it gets miserably hot in the summer, so I would love to have some of those flowing blouses. I didn't they looked frumpish at all, but very elegant (same with the gowns--in our heat they would be welcome).
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I agree that Anya's clothes were pretty but let's be honest here, how many of us can pull off a plunge to your belly button look? Her designs were very similar to Uli's from several season's ago & her designs were then deemed too 1 note & too tropical.
    I did love Viktor's printed look, very wearable, however he lost me with his black looks.
    Kimberly...geeze...who wants to wear an outfit with 1/2 the back missing?
    Joshie boy....neon green neoprene shorts & hot pink pants...in the summer? Unless you are going in the ocean or trying to lose weight who would wear neoprene to work in the summer??

IMHO they made a mistake in aufing Bert so Anya was the obvious choice. Congrats.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy View Post
    Jay McCarroll, season 1 winner, refused his prize money (and mentership with Banana Republic). Had he accepted, Project Runway's production company would forever own a piece of him ... as I remember, 10% of anything Jay created. Despite that, for a number of years, Jay had a line on QVC, teaches Fashion in PA and has a few other ventures in the fire. To say Jay never got off the ground is wrong, as he clearly benefited dispite no prize and his somewhat naturally bad attitude.
    I went to a Jay McCarroll trunk show a few months ago. He is from a nearby area. Didn't buy anything. It wasn't that things were expensive, it was more a just not my style/taste thing. It was really, really shabby boho....no more street person boho.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I agree that Anya's clothes were pretty but let's be honest here, how many of us can pull off a plunge to your belly button look? Her designs were very similar to Uli's from several season's ago & her designs were then deemed too 1 note & too tropical.
    I agree that as far as the looks shown on the runway most of us couldn't wear them. That said, A majority of Anya's looks could be adapted somewhat for any of us to wear. Example, her first swimsuit was hideous with the deep plunge, but the remade one could possibly look good on anyone (maybe not those colors in specific).

I did love Viktor's printed look, very wearable, however he lost me with his black looks.
    I think the black outfits were his downfall. Had he done variations of the prints or other prints for the remaining looks I think he'd won actually.

Someone with a lovely back? That said, I do agree here.

Joshie boy....neon green neoprene shorts & hot pink pants...in the summer? Unless you are going in the ocean or trying to lose weight who would wear neoprene to work in the summer??
    I think the only outfit I liked of his was that pant set with jacket he showed in the three look challenge.

IMHO they made a mistake in aufing Bert so Anya was the obvious choice. Congrats.
    This is one of the few things I agree with - the proper final three should've been Anya, Viktor and Bert. Then any would've been deserving. I'm thinking Tim's comment of "I was stunned" was a positive to Bert.

BTW, the whole argument of is this the best winner is exacerbated when you consider that four people were also included as finalists but were eliminated based on their audition rack right there. I'd rather they done away with that or better had a design challenge where four were eliminated to get the final 16. We might've had different results.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post

The hospital blouse? The pattern was lovely, but I remember saying the same thing as you the first time she showed it. I'd be continually worried about a stiff breeze coming along...

Sadly, I completely agree.

Could somebody re-post that link to the non-finalist collections? I'd like to back and see Bert's.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Who was it that said one of Josh's (?) creations Steampunk? I had never heard the term before, but last Sunday the CBS Sunday Morning show had a feature on the movement and the fashion. Here is the link: Steampunk: Yesterday's tomorrow - CBS News

Victoriana turned futuristic. The new movie, Hugo, is an example of how Jules Verne plays in the modern age. Fascinating.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Thank you for the link. I had forgotten about that. At the time, I remember thinking, "Steampunk? What the heck is that? Some other band I've never heard of?"

Having looked at the pictures on that website, I still don't know what that judge was referring to. Neon green neoprene shorts are supposed to be Victorian?

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Who was it that said one of Josh's (?) creations Steampunk? I had never heard the term before, but last Sunday the CBS Sunday Morning show had a feature on the movement and the fashion. Here is the link: Steampunk: Yesterday's tomorrow - CBS News

Victoriana turned futuristic. The new movie, Hugo, is an example of how Jules Verne plays in the modern age. Fascinating.

From the above link I think this quote is a bit more descriptive of what "steampunk" is. The movie "SteamBoy" is also a good example.

"Steampunk is yesterday's tomorrow," is one fan's description. Or "A science fiction version of Victoriana." Or "The intersection of technology and romance."

The Victorians were obsessed with technology, imagining a world of elaborate contraptions, many of them airborne. Flights of fancy powered by steam, the fuel behind the Industrial Revolution.

In the Steampunk universe the Victorian vision of the future - adventurous and optimistic - has come to pass - an IDEAL version of the past.

"So it's the Victorian Era without all the disease and pestilence?" asks Rocca. "Yeah, absolutely!" said one devotee.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast