+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 10/27 Finale Discussion Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 10/27 Finale Discussion Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    So the winning designer can barely sew, can't make a sleeve to save her life, and all her looks are the same, and that's supposed to inspire a shoe line? What, flip-flops? Anya seems nice, so that's a step up from Gretchen, but I'd have preferred eyebrow boy to win as at least his collection seemed more than beach caftans.*

*Caveat, I only watched the last 15 minutes as life has been a bit hectic this week.
    I watched the entire show and this is what I got out of it ...

The judges acknowledged Anya's show was far more one note, but also unlike Viktor and Josh's sometimes disconnected hills and valleys, Anya's showing was cohesive. She was said to have a more unique point of view, definitive enough that MK could see an Anya jewelry, an Anya shoe, an Anya bed, thus the potential to have a serious business and a serious following..

The judges selection of Project Runway's winner has always been subjective, where talent is also weighed against the other major considerations, such as, 'is the designer ready' and 'is the designer capable of being successful?' Clearly, for this season, judges felt Anya is more ready in that she has her brand (point of view) vs. still finding it.

Personally, I am ecstatic that Anya one for I consider her work more relevant for today ... easy, effortless ... but then that is what I am always drawn to ... and if not Anya, then Burt. ;-)
    Arielflies and inthegarden like this.

FORT Fogey

I was so worried that another Wretchen like win was coming with Joshua standing next to Anya in the end!!! NOOOOO. So, I must say I was very happy. While her collection showed her carribbean style, she'd shown that she had an eye and design for many other styles.

I don't see the "person is ready" in their choice of Gretchen, Jay, and Jeff in past seasons...

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm so disgusted with Project Runway, I don't know if I'll even watch next season.

With Anya's win, they sent a message loud and clear that tailoring/technical skill doesn't count and, I'm sorry, but to me it does. A good designer, IMO, should not only talk the talk (be able to envision designs with a solid point of view) but also walk the walk (be able to construct said garments). It really annoyed me that Anya wasted the weeks given to the contestants to create their collection, slapped together a few pieces at the last minute, not even bothering to vary the styles, and still won. I think the judges had already decided prior to Fashion Week that she was their winner. She could have sent her models down the runway in adult diapers with pacifiers for accessories and she would have won. Not every woman has a lifestyle that would accomodate wearing her flowy gowns so her market is limited. In many ways, Anya reminds me of Uli. Both can do one look really well (that drapy, simple look) but does it really take skill as a designer to create that look? I would expect more from a Project Runway winner.

BTW, does Anya's look remind anyone else of Mrs. Roper on Three's Company?? That's what I think of when I see ladies wearing dresses like that.

Joshua really surprised me. His taste was questionable throughout the show but I thought he did a very good job with his collection and was rooting for him to win. One thing, though. I still worry about his editing and taste level. When he showed his collection to Tim while he was working on it, he was heading off into Cuckooville with glaring, cheap-looking fabrics, the editing still a bit overdone. After Tim's constructive criticism, he reworked a few pieces and presented 3 good looks. This week, he veered back into Cuckooland with some additional last-minute pieces. Joshua is editing himself now because he's trying to appeal to the judges. I wonder if let loose on his own without the judges looking over his shoulder would he be able to stay on track?

I was very surprised with the criticism toward Viktor. He's been one of the most consistent designers this season and there's no question about his technical skills. Maybe his collection was a bit bi-polar but I've seen that done at previous runway shows. Both looks were contemporary and well-polished so what did it matter if they weren't an exact match? He presented perhaps the most diverse collection of garments so you can see that he can successfully do tops, pants, dresses, jackets, etc. He's not a one-note wonder.

Kimberly puzzles me. She dresses herself impeccabaly so she obviously has some taste but I don't see that same level of taste in the outfits she creates herself. I still don't think she should have made it to Fashion Week and I didn't see anything different about her line, despite the judges saying she had a unique point of view. Clothes with cutouts were big in the 80's and I think that was also done in the 60's or 70's. I guess I'm just not a fan of her look. If she marketed clothes like the ones she wears herself, I would be more interested in buying them than I am in the stuff she creates herself. If she does design her own clothes, why isn't she showing any of that flair in her collection?

If I had to rank my top three designers from this season, I would put Bert first (I didn't like everything he created but a few of his pieces were really stunning, Joshua second (based on his final collection, not his other looks) and Viktor third.

This was definitely one of the most disappointing seasons of Project Runway for me. I wasn't satisfied with the winner and didn't really see any designers with great potential like we've seen in previous seasons.
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-28-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Many good points Pikachu. It was clear who the judges wanted to win and they even let her do it, when she didn't work for it for the finale. That's pretty sad.

I could not see myself in really anything Anya had on the runway. That style may look good on a tall thin, model or actress, but most people would feel silly in them and old. Having large breast, there's really nothing I could wear from her collection, save the swim suit. That was nice. I think she did much better during the season and dropped the ball in the finale. Something about it seemed phony and contrived. I like her as a person and her style looks nice on a runway, but that's about it.

I liked Victor's line the best. Piece after piece was wearable and hot IMO. His pieces would look good on teens and adult women. I think he was judged too harshly. But, I guess they had to pretend he wasn't so good, in order for Anya to shine more.

I actually thought Josh's collection was okay, but it was too average. I didn't see it as anything special, just okay.

Kimberly has some growing to do IMO. I only liked her black dress a lot. The rest was average.

I swore I was done with the last season, but I came back towards the end for this one. It's still disappointing.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I am sincerely hoping that the Project Runway All-Stars season is a good one because after that, I am done with PR.

Anya winning was a joke. Would love to see how many NY'ers are going to be wearing one of Anya's bedsheets in the middle of February. While I am sure the people of Trinidad are thrilled with her victory, they hardly represent any sort of fashion buying power.

Tim Gunn . . . if you are reading this, please start searching for another gig. I treasure seeing you on tv but I won't watch this show to see just you.
    Debb70 likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I personally liked all four collections, as this is a runway show and I've seen other "noted designers" (to quote Heidi) do similar ones in each style.

That said, I'm playing devil's advocate on Anya.

1. She is from Trinidad and Tobago, so her style will be different from mainstream American styles. That is actually her charm, but also her bane depending on whom you speak with.

This is also why the getup that looks a bit "Three's Company." Personally, I think that if you're going to wear it at least look nice in it and Anya does.

2. Most of the styles she designed for this final runway can - with a couple of alterations, be designed for any body type. I'm not a slip of a woman nor am I obese, and I could wear a majority of these outfits IF she had a higher panel in the front. I can't go braless.

3. She also created several designs in that last two days of the runway. She also redesigned or had a new swimsuit which was much more flattering.

4. People complain about cut and flow, yet Joshua had that flowing dress in purple that pretty much looked like a swatch of fabric that was hemmed and had a gold chain attached, Kimberley the black dress wasn't fitted and had a near backless back, and Victor had I think at least one outfit that flowed in a similar manner.

5. And yes... Anya's designs inspire more extras in the fashion industry - the accessories. Given that it's like a $2 billion dollar industry (at least) in the accessories, if you can do jewelry to compliment those outfits as well as on its own with other get up, that leans to more money. Especially when you count into the fact women are more liable to do impulse buying in jewelry.

Based on the fifth fact, Anya did earn the win. I think any and all were deserving, but this isn't the worst it could be. I seem to remember the gal who did the soccer ball looking dress and the guy who used a diaper as the focal point of a mixed media dress.

And since when do designers have to design for year-round wear, at least from the start? That's something else that has bugged me throughout the season.
    Arielflies likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I'm so disgusted with Project Runway, I don't know if I'll even watch next season.

With Anya's win, they sent a message loud and clear that tailoring/technical skill doesn't count and, I'm sorry, but to me it does. A good designer, IMO, should not only talk the talk (be able to envision designs with a solid point of view) but also walk the walk (be able to construct said garments). .....
    I disagree. To me, a good designer has the concepts. It's harder to find people to come up with interesting concepts than people who can sew and tailor.

An analogy. I do some editing work. One guy I work with is a fabulous writer. He writes in a very readable, conversational tone, and his story-telling ability is first rate. He dropped out of school at 15 or 16. He denigrates his writing ability because his spelling and grammar are poor. But I tell him not 1 out of a hundred people can write as well as he can, but 50 out of a 100 people can fix the spelling and grammar problems. Another closer analogy: Architects design buildings without knowing all of the construction techniques required to create it.

I didn't get a Mrs. Roper vibe at all from Anya's creations (unlike that awful one of Gretchen's that the judges loved). My 25-yr-old daughter loved several of her pieces.

FORT Fogey

If Anya had presented those three outfits during any other season, she would have gone home and only 3 would have shown at Fashion Week. The fact they hated two of her three should have sent her home except that they had already decreed her the winner. That being said, I wanted anyone except Joshua to win. PR already had an unpleasant winner in Jeffrey and I guess he is doing music now...even the previous "all star" show didn't help him.

In many ways PR is reminding me of ANTM--- the winners really aren't doing much. I saw an interview with Christian S who was in Boston doing a trunk show at N-M and they asked him why he has had so much success when few if any of the other winners are there. He attributed it to personality and drive and that he started to push for attenton and sales immediately after the show. He mentioned that nobody else was going to do it for him. ..he ran with it himself. Maybe Anya can do that with her line

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    I am sincerely hoping that the Project Runway All-Stars season is a good one because after that, I am done with PR.

Anya winning was a joke. Would love to see how many NY'ers are going to be wearing one of Anya's bedsheets in the middle of February. While I am sure the people of Trinidad are thrilled with her victory, they hardly represent any sort of fashion buying power.

Tim Gunn . . . if you are reading this, please start searching for another gig. I treasure seeing you on tv but I won't watch this show to see just you.
    Thing is, the NY Fashion week competition we watched last night showed spring/summer fashion, so not certain if any of the designers came up with fashion suitable for NYers to wear in the middle of February ... unless, of course, spending February in warmer climate.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I disagree. To me, a good designer has the concepts. It's harder to find people to come up with interesting concepts than people who can sew and tailor.

An analogy. I do some editing work. One guy I work with is a fabulous writer. He writes in a very readable, conversational tone, and his story-telling ability is first rate. He dropped out of school at 15 or 16. He denigrates his writing ability because his spelling and grammar are poor. But I tell him not 1 out of a hundred people can write as well as he can, but 50 out of a 100 people can fix the spelling and grammar problems. Another closer analogy: Architects design buildings without knowing all of the construction techniques required to create it.

I didn't get a Mrs. Roper vibe at all from Anya's creations (unlike that awful one of Gretchen's that the judges loved). My 25-yr-old daughter loved several of her pieces.
    I agree with your analogies. I have seen beautiful Landscape and Architectural designs on paper, but were not realistic to install or build.
    I think what set Anya apart form the others was her eye for color and pattern. The freshness of her designs. Her ability to make simplicity seem well designed. She let the fabric have its own voice and didn't over design. Her ability to think fast and work quickly. Most importantly, she worked well under pressure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast