+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 10/20 Discussion Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Re: 10/20 Discussion Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

Victor, clearly. Josh, all right. Then the choice between the non-stylists - too hard as both were bad. I see why they put all four through and I hope the girls step up their game.

I have loved the clothes Anya has worn throughout the show...why didn't she design from her own wardrobe? I know the low-Vs are what she wears and off the shoulder drapes, but somehow it all looks better on her than on the models. And the color choices are better.

Oh, well, next week should be fun.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My critiques:

Episode notes: Joshua was right--Anya and Kimberly should not be going on to Fashion Week based on this episodeís looks. Anya choked at the most crucial time in the series and her lack of sewing skills are showing. Kimberly has been meh most of the season and still doesnít have the vision to create a cohesive collection. Only Joshua and Viktor appear to have something to say and the technical skills to bring their visions to life. Iíll be rooting for them both in the finale!

BTW, I think I figured out who the villain is. Itís Laura from a previous season of Project Runway! She sure has been unpleasant in the After the Runway episodes sheís been in. I could have kissed Anthony Ryan for tactfully calling her out on her comments about him in her blog and for her comments to Josh on After the Runway. No wonder heís been the fan favorite most of this season!

Anya: I donít think Iíve ever seen a contestant with as little prepared to show Tim when he arrived for his visit. I was aghast that all Anya had was the fabrics she had chosen. What had she done with all that time while the other designers were working on their collections?? The clothes she brought with her for the mini-collection looked like they were thrown together at the last minuteóand they probably were. Anya had much better clothes during the regular challenges this season when she only had a few days to work. She sure squandered her 5 weeks of prep time. I think the only reason she made it to fashion week was based on the strength of her past outfits.

I didnít care for the bland tan color palette she chose. The first dress, with the stripes, was the only piece in her mini-collection I liked. It has a similar look to outfits sheís made this season. I didnít care for the bathing suit. Itís too low cut for my liking and the color of the zipper makes it look like the modelís skin is showing through, as though this is an old busted zipper that gapes. The other tan gown was a wreck. Hate the color, hate the shape of it, and the tailoring was so bad. The swimsuit might be able to be tweaked in time for Fashion Week but the tan gown should be scrapped completely.

Joshua: Surprisingly, Joshuaís mini-collection was my favorite. He was heading in the wrong direction when Tim came for his visit but after an adjustment, he came up with some good stuff thatís not overdone. If anything, perhaps Joshua went too conservative. I think he could have used the color palette he wanted in more sophisticated fabrics to get a look that was him while still being high-fashion.

I donít like the glasses on the belted outfit, although I didnít even notice them on the runway last night. The shape of the outfit is very interesting and itís dressy enough to wear to work while still cool enough to wear after work. I liked Joshuaís short dress and disagree with Michael Korrís about the modesty tab being distracting. I liked it since it added some interest to the neckline of the dress and kept it from opening up too much. Most women are not flat-chested models and would appreciate that extra bit of structure. I didnít understand what Michael didnít like about the back of the long dress. On my tv, it looked fine. I think all three looks form a cohesive collection and show that Joshua has the tailoring skills to possibly win Project Runway. Good for him paying attention to what the judges have been telling him about his styling.

Kimberly: IMO, Kimberlyís mini-collection proves she should not have made it through to the finals. I only liked one of her outfits and even it I had minor issues with.

On the first outfit, the top and pants, I agree with the judges that it was overstyled. Big clunky bag, big clunky earrings, big clunky bracelets, big clunky blue shoes the same color as the blue pants. Ugh! I really hate the top on this outfit. Iím not a fan of the two napkins pinned together look which I see quite frequently on Project Runway. Thereís a way to do an asymmetrical top and this is not it. On the second outfit, the top with the skirt, I kind of like the top but hate the skirt. The back of the top is very neat, I only wish the front had more interest to it. It kind of looks like the shirt is on backwards because the front is so void of anything of visual interest. The skirt is a wreck. It looks like it split when the model sat down while getting her hair and makup done so she hurriedly pinned it back together with safety pins and hit the runway. The volume in the back is awful and I donít like the colors of the top and skirt together. This look is a massive fail. I liked Kimís shimmery dress the most but my one reservation I have with it is itís too sheer. I donít like to see what type of underwear (or lack thereof) people are wearing. If this dress had been lined, I would have liked it so much more.

Viktor: And Viktor fell with a massive ďsplatĒ. I had high hopes for his collection since heís been pretty consistent throughout this season but only the jacket on his third look measures up.

The short dress is nice but I wasnít bowled over by it. It would be fine for a regular challenge but for fashion week Iíd expect something a bit more cutting edge. I wouldnít have known the fabric came from a photograph if Viktor hadnít mentioned it. I didnít like the shirt and pants outfit at all. The pants reminded me too much of one of the looks done for the band the Sheepdogs and the tags all over the shirt under the jacket didnít appeal to me. It looks like the model is displaying fishing lures. I donít understand the third look. Is it a bathing suit or a gown?? If itís a bathing suit, the drapey overskirt is too much. If itís a gown, itís too sheer and unfinished looking. The jacket is very nice but doesnít go with the outfit at all. Itís sort of like Victoriaís Secret meets Hellís Angels and it confuses me.
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-21-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    My critiques:

Episode notes: Joshua was right--Anya and Kimberly should not be going on to Fashion Week based on this episodeís looks. Anya choked at the most crucial time in the series and her lack of sewing skills are showing. Kimberly has been meh most of the season and still doesnít have the vision to create a cohesive collection. Only Joshua and Viktor appear to have something to say and the technical skills to bring their visions to life. Iíll be rooting for them both in the finale!

BTW, I think I figured out who the villain is. Itís Laura from a previous season of Project Runway! She sure has been unpleasant in the After the Runway episodes sheís been in.
    Really, she seemed OK and many of the questions she was asking was based on what the followers of her blog wanted to know. And Josh was bloody rude to her during that episode.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I could have kissed Anthony Ryan for tactfully calling her out on her comments about him in her blog and for her comments to Josh on After the Runway. No wonder heís been the fan favorite most of this season!
    No way is he a fan favorite, everyone on FORT seems to hate him. I can see Anya being fan favorite but not Josh.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I didn't mean Joshua has been the fan favorite. I was talking about Anthony Ryan! He and Anya have been neck and neck in the poll at the Project Runway website since the first week and Anthony Ryan overtook Anya as fan favorite after he was eliminated from the show.

Here are the fan rankings as of today:

Anthony Ryan: 52%
    Anya: 43%
    Viktor: 1%
    Bert: 1%
    Olivier: 1%
    Lauren: 1%
    Bryce: 1%
    Joshua M.: 0%
    Kimberly: 0%
    Fallene: 0%
    Rafael: 0%
    Becky: 0%
    Joshua C: 0%
    Danielle: 0%
    Julie: 0%
    Gunnar: 0%
    David: 0%
    Amanda: 0%
    Cecilia: 0%
    Serena: 0%

Anyway, apparently the villain was not unmasked this week.
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Really, she seemed OK and many of the questions she was asking was based on what the followers of her blog wanted to know. And Josh was bloody rude to her during that episode.
    Thank you. I could have kissed Laura for the way she pinned Josh like a butterfly and forced him to reveal himself in all his arrogant, mysoginist, holier-than-thou glory. Laura was spot-on: Josh is not the only person in the world to struggle while paying back a student loan, and he sure is heck not the only person in the world to deal with grief issues from losing a loved one. "Bloody rude" is an understatement; he's a pathetic bully, the male equivalent of Wretchen and Hivy, and I hope he sinks just as fast in the market if he wins.

As for the Tim/villain rumor, thank you to whoever started it. It gave me a reason to watch this week. Honestly, I don't care at this point who wins. I'm not impressed with any of them. Anya has serious time management skills and has only made it this far due to the help the other designers gave her; Viktor has talent but he, too, has had his snotty moments; and Kimberly is just blah. I haven't cared for her all season. She'll probably be the first to be eliminated next week. I also agree that Anya was probably only put through because they thought the fans would be outraged.
    Duckyface likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Anya--I loved the onyx/tiger's eye look of her first dress. The colors on it were gorgeous. It's a shame that she put in the bathing suit, because I liked the dress she substituted it for better. The last model looked like she ran out of the house in Marilyn Monroe's bedsheet.

Joshua--I actually liked his first outfit, because I loved the colors. I did laugh, though, when Heidi talked about the buckle, because I was thinking the same thing myself. "That looks like the buckle on my niece's car seat!" The cocktail dress was so-so, and I died laughing when Michael critiqued the last dress. That was hideous, and the fact that Josh could be proud of it just showed once again that he's in a different universe from normal people.

Kimberly--I don't know why the judges criticized her colors; I loved them. Overall, it was my favorite collection. The only thing I didn't like was the back of that off-the-shoulder top. It looked like a celebrity hospital gown.

Viktor--the cocktail dress was blah, and the pants looked like kindergardners had fingerpainted on them. The white jacket was nice, but the rest of that outfit was just tacky. A dancer might wear that on the stage (minus the train), but what normal woman would wear that on the street?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

even though I wasn't overly thrilled with any of the garments from any of them I thought Victor's was the best...I was just happy to see some color on the runway I am so sick of brown's and beige's and blah colors I like vibrant colors
    Duckyface and Debb70 like this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I thought Victor's was far and away the most professional looking. The others looked like the clothes they'd throw together in a one day challenge during the regular season. Overall though I was just disappointed. Nothing really new, cutting edge, creative or interesting other than Victor's jacket and some bad sewing and design errors. I hope the run way shows are a lot better.
    ButterflyFaery and Debb70 like this.

I just watched some eps from season 7. The difference in quality of garments from the top 4 is staggering. Even if you don't like the personality or style, they were so much better in terms of how they were put together.
    Debb70 likes this.

Thing is, PR finale use showing during the fall fashion week and now it is spring. Cast members were given 2-3 months to create their line, not 5 weeks ...

Also, because designers are designing spring/summer wear during the regular season, Anya's work is relevant, unlike Uli's so-called "resort ware" ...

My thoughts, anyway ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast