+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Project Accessory 1 (premieres Oct. 29th) - News & Speculation

Project Accessory 1 (premieres Oct. 29th) - News & Speculation

Project Accessory - Official Show Site - myLifetime.com

The multi-billion dollar accessories business is brought into the spotlight with Lifetime’s new competition series, "Project Accessory," hosted by actress and model Molly Sims. With the help of lifestyle expert Eva Lorenzotti as their mentor, 12 enterprising artists will be put to the test to create the newest and hottest trends in accessories as they compete to dazzle Sims and judges designer Kenneth Cole and InStyle Editor, Ariel Foxman. Emmy® Award-winning actress Debra Messing and fashion critic and television personality Kelly Osborne will appear as guest judges this season, among other fashion luminaries. "Project Accessory" will premiere October 27 at 10:30/9:30c.

"Project Accessory" will feature 12 designers who will compete and showcase their unique vision for accessories and show audiences how to transform any outfit:

Cotrice (Milwaukee, WI/Atlanta, GA) – specializes in jewelry
    Brian Burkhardt (Manchester, NH/Miami, FL) – specializes in jewelry
    Christina Caruso (New York, NY) – specializes in jewelry
    Nina Cortes (Miami, FL) – specializes in jewelry
    Shea Curry (Hattiesburg, MS/Los Angeles, CA) – specializes in jewelry and hair accessories
    Adrian Dana (Baltimore, MD/Lithonia, GA) – specializes in church hats
    David Grieco (Watertown, NY/Los Angeles, CA) – specializes in belts
    Kelly Horton (Philadelphia, PA/Edgewater, NJ) – specializes in handbags
    Diego Rocha (Sao Paolo, Brazil/Chicago, IL) – specializes in handbags
    Nicolina Royale (Minneapolis MN/Los Angeles, CA) – specializes in leather rock 'n' roll accessories
    Rich Sandomeno – (Elmwood Park, NJ/Los Angeles, CA) – specializes in jewelry
    James Sommerfeldt (Chicago, IL) – specializes in footwear
    It premieres right after the Project Runway 9 finale at 10:30pm. There aren't individual contestant bio pages at the Lifetime site, so general contestant discussion can go in here as well as news and speculation.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Project Accessory 1 (premieres Oct. 29th) - News & Speculation

I have to say that I'm looking forward to this show because I make jewelry and the like...

HOWEVER, what I'm seeing so far in the promos is a bit disappointing because they're not real difficult skills to learn (wrapped loop, hammering rivets in belts, soldering jewelry).

I hope they're given a lot more difficult skills to work with, such as diachroic glass, bead making and the like - which look easy but you must work on your timing and patience because cooking diachroic glass too long "scorches" it (it turns it gunmetal grey, which is OK but not on a whole pendant), open the kiln too soon it fractures from thermal shock, or even breaks fusing and you have to wait an hour and a half before you can attempt to make another one. With beads you have the same issues but if the glass goes weird, you can also challenge yourself to create a new and unique bead.

This is also one of the few where you can also try to make them make accessories out of weird or off beat materials too - steampunk to a point.

will Tim Gunn be a part of this one too..always love to hear his opinions
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    will Tim Gunn be a part of this one too..always love to hear his opinions
    I've read he isn't going to be on the show, and if he doesn't have knowledge on how to make jewelry just the appearance, he can't be an effective critiquer of the work.

Example, if someone showed me a lost wax cast and they weren't sure where to put the sprues (thin wax rods that melt out when you burn the cast for pouring then let the sliver flow into the cast) I could make suggestions on what will and will not work. I could also warn that their wanting to place say gems in certain places might not set or if they really want to use a certain stone (as some will break if you cast them in the wax).

However, if I were to try and critique sewing skills or a fashion design, I would have a tough time because I don't know what materials can be sewn together (as far as mixing materials say cotton and plastic).

(BTW - you most likely will not see me in a show like this - even with my knowledge in the area... my skills are not quite as intricate as those that would probably be needed for this competition. I will say though you would NEVER see anyone get tied up in wire trying to cut any for say a chainmaille bracelet. ).

+ Reply to Thread