+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 10/13 Discussion Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: 10/13 Discussion Thread *West Coast Spoilers*

They kept calling Laura's dress a pillowcase dress. I thought it looked more like something cheap out of, maybe, K-Mart that had already been worn and washed multiple times. Night-gownish.

I was extremely disappointed that Josh didn't get sent home.
    Allie and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Like Anya's use of bold colors. I thought that was neat that she didn't go for a pattern or use any fancy designing. Sometimes simplicity is best. Hers was certainly the most visually arresting.

Josh's black-and-white dress was lovely, the skirt and vest ensemble wasn't bad, but why oh why did the judges say once again that they liked his draping, this time on the silver dress? Once again I thought it was terrible. It looked like somebody took leftover fabric from the angel's costumes in a Christmas play and tried to make a toga out of it.

Liked Kimberly's, but the orange coat was a little bulky. Guess the model was wearing a sweater under it.

Viktor's outfits looked pretty good. Agreed with the judges that they were the most commercial, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Sadly, I also agreed that Laura should go home. Her short black-and-white outfit was pretty good, her long dress looked nice but also looked like a wrinkled bedsheet, but that pink dress bordered on tacky. It almost looked like a piece of lingerie.

As for winners, I wish Anya would win just to put Josh in his place, but I wouldn't mind if Kim or Viktor won. Anybody but Josh. If he wins I hope he sinks as fast as Wretchen.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Guess i am the only one but I am so sick of the Anya adoration on PR!. I can understand why the other designers are also sick of it.
    Yes she can make great dresses but she lucked out again this time by getting someone to help her and Bert one of the best sewers. You could see how much he helped her with the sweing. They were indeed 3 dressess without sleeves again.

I think I would not bother so much if it weren't for the judges. The adoration is so annoying. I knew from week 1 she's make fashion week.

She has been helped so much by the other designers. LMAO about her comment last week she did not want to give fabric cause she might make sleeves. Sleeves and Anya?

One week ago it was okay to be helped by others but al of a sudden it was a competition. Now i am very curious who is going to be the real villain. Could be any of the 3 to be honest.
    mandmmom2 and AZChristian like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Some weeks I thought Anya deserved the praise she got and one week I thought she should have won when she didn't. The last few weeks, though, the Anya adoration from the judges has become too much for me. She won a few challenges I thought she shouldn't have and Bert saved her butt last week with the sewing.

Honestly, I don't know who to root for right now. I'm getting where I don't want Anya to win because I don't think she has the sewing skills. Yes, this isn't Project Seamstress but I think sewing skills matter. I'd like to know that a designer can construct the masterpieces they create instead of just dreaming them up and passing the work on to someone else because execution takes talent, too. Both Viktor and Joshua are so full of themselves and not consistently good. Kimberly just sucks so I'm sure not rooting for her.

A lot will come down to the last challenge--who presents the best collection and has learned the most through the season. I know a lot of people here hate Joshua but I wouldn't be unhappy with him winning. I think he is learning to edit himself, both in his fashions and in his relations with other people.

If Anya wins, it will be predictable but I guess not as bad as when Gretchen won, with her horribly drab fashions. Anya can learn to sew. Gretchen will probably always be blah.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Viktor comes out as the villain. He's been bad-mouthing the other designers to the cameras for weeks and only recently starting voicing some of that in the workroom. Once he lets out all the cattiness he's been holding in, look out! Kim's very voal, though, so maybe she's the evil villain who lays it all out in the next episode.

I don't really care. I'm here for the fashion, not the drama. I'd rather the designers hug it out with Tim than get in a shouting match with each other over petty stuff.
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-17-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.

Pikachu, I agree with most of your points, but I need to make two points regarding Anya:

1. She has at least done a sleeve and it wasn't too bad. It was for the design a dress for a husband/boyfriend's wife/girl. That said, it was one of the few that would've possibly benefitted from NO sleeve, but the sleeve wasn't bad.

2. Almost if not all the designers have been caught using hot glue to get the projects together. Anya I haven't seen use the hot glue and just stitch them together, hence why she always looks like she can't sew or needs help. She seems to be trying to actually make the clothes including stitches. Of course, this could be editing, but after seeing the other finalists at least use hot glue (Viktor CLEARLY this past challenge) on outfits besides the weird one (pet store), I can't really get upset with the sewing issue.

That said, yes, getting help has saved her butt, but it has others.

And, in general re: not sharing fabric or such - to be fair NONE of the other designers helped her when she lost the money. The one who did was eliminated that challenge. Lauren has also been given money by another designer - Bert, and I don't recall her giving fabric to Bert (or frankly anything nice to say).

I'm not saying Anya's perfect, but I think sometimes we get so caught up in the grand scheme we forget other points to validate both sides of the argument.

Out of the final four - I think she or Viktor will win. I still think they're going to do a surprise on the other two and have them do a walk-off.

Somewhat unrelated question: Is seamstress only for females? If so, what do you call a male who sews?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebella View Post
    Somewhat unrelated question: Is seamstress only for females? If so, what do you call a male who sews?
    tailor

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Higher paid, probably.
    prhoshay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    tailor
    Historically, women have made the vast majority of clothing. Therefore, when industrialization came, it was only natural to employ primarily women in the factory mills. Later in the 19th century, when big-name designers came along, it was again thought natural to employ women as the drudge workers in the design houses--with the fancy name of seamstress.

Yes, men make clothing, but tailors have an air of prestige about them, since they usually work one-on-one with their clients (think Savile Row). "Seamstress" implies a woman working behind the scenes, just doing the sewing and never meeting the client. IOW, a drudge.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

On Mad Fashion they give one of the guys (Alex?) the title Seamster. I've never seen that any place else though. Normally it's a seamstress or a tailor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast