+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Ideas for Project Runway

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Ideas for Project Runway

Do you have any ideas for challenges you'd like to see on Project Runway, or changes to make to the show in general?

I'd love to have a season where they had all male models for a change. That would change the type of fashions they produce and probably require better tailoring, since pants and shorts need to be fitted better than a drapy dress or skirt.

I'd like it if the designers had more of a choice of which model they're working with. Perhaps in the first show, they could assemble a group of 50 or so models and let each designer choose the one they want. They could do a challenge to determine the order of which designer gets to choose or do a random drawing of designers' names from a bag. Then they could have the models walk the runway, maybe answer a few questions, and let each designer one at a time announce which model they've chosen.

It would be interesting to have a challenge where the client gets to choose the fabric. Either have the models pick or if they're doing a challenge with kids or the designers mothers', let them pick.

They've made outfits for Nina and Heidi already. I'd like to see the designers make an outfit for Tim Gunn and he could wear the winning outfit out onto the runway to announce the winner. LOL!

It would be interesting if they had a longer challenge for a change. Make one where they have 4 days to work on their outfit but everything has to be perfect and they need to include several pieces, including a jacket, pants, an accessory item (like a belt, scarf or hat that the designer has to construct), etc. Maybe have it be a mix and match challenge so they have their model show two outfits that go together as a set. She could come out the first time in a blouse and skirt, then come out for a second round in the same blouse but with a jacket and pants instead.
    AZChristian likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Ideas for Project Runway

I just had another idea! How about using the models from America's Next Top Model in one of the challenges? It would be very interesting to do a crossover show! I'm not sure if Next Top Model airs around the same time as Project Runway but if they can't use the current contestants on Next Top Model, they could use girls formerly on the show.
    NFL1 likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

My idea would need to be done near the beginning of the season and could be used for a multiple elimination night.

Separate the designers into groups, maybe 4 each. Give each designer in the group 4 or 5 yards of the same exact fabric. Some get knits, some get denim, some get silk, some get chiffon . . . . . . . .

Then, and here's the important part . . . . .they are sequestered to their own individual room and told to produce whatever they want. No prying eyes to see what someone else is doing, no copying, no muttering to each other about how awful so-and-so's garment looks.

Worst garment from each fabric selection goes home.
    NFL1, pikachu and AZChristian like this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    My idea would need to be done near the beginning of the season and could be used for a multiple elimination night.

Separate the designers into groups, maybe 4 each. Give each designer in the group 4 or 5 yards of the same exact fabric. Some get knits, some get denim, some get silk, some get chiffon . . . . . . . .

Then, and here's the important part . . . . .they are sequestered to their own individual room and told to produce whatever they want. No prying eyes to see what someone else is doing, no copying, no muttering to each other about how awful so-and-so's garment looks.

I like this idea with all of them getting the same fabric. No demin. I hate denim outside of jeans.

I liked the idea from Santino's season that they all were sent x amount of muslin and showed up with a creation. Santino's blue baby doll dress was fabulous.

I would like to see more challenges with the freedom to exhibit their style and have this early on. One designer left this season and I never got to see anything close to her line we saw during the interview process.

Eliminate grocery store and hardware store comps. We have seen those too much.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 09-15-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    NFL1 and AZChristian like this.

have they ever done a challenge with plus size women size 16 and above??? I am sick and tired of group challenges and it seems every season we are just getting repeats of former season challenges

I have seen them do challenges with small children before but get a group of middle school girls in there 8th graders...omg lol you wanna talk about picky and looking good for the boys
    NFL1 likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fogey

Sure they have made garments for heavy women. It was not a great challenge. It was in Jeff's season when they styled for mothers of other contestants.

There is just so much you can do and I do not mind repeats if they produce nifty clothes. I would rather see them show their stuff than struggle with odd materials or children.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 09-15-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post

Then, and here's the important part . . . . .they are sequestered to their own individual room and told to produce whatever they want.

I would like to see a challenge like that. The same fabric can look so different depending on how it's used so I'd be interested to see what all the designers did with it when they didn't see what their competitors were doing. Great idea!

What might be interesting to try for one season is don't let the designers pick their own fabric for the challenges, or require them to use a certain type for each challenge. Challenge one might be cotton, challenge two chiffon, etc. Leather could be one of the last challenges because I'd think it's probably the hardest to work with. It would be a test of the designers' skill working with different fabrics.
    NFL1 likes this.

I personally like the odd challenges, such as newsprint and the like. That said, the problem is there's too often something that can be used as a fabric like material (trash bags, mosquito netting, the pee pads (there I said it ) etc.) Paper can be difficult to work with.

SO... my challenge would be to have them do something like give each maybe 2-3 rolls of wrapping paper and let them loose. Things are they can't dye the material or even draw on it, they have to use it as is and if the material is gone, it's gone, no more backup. The tube could also be used IMHO, but not for much quite honestly.

Or, as much as I loathed Emilio's washer bikini, use some sort of metal item such as washers and have them have to design something with it and muslin as the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Sure they have made garments for heavy women. It was not a great challenge. It was in Jeff's season when they styled for mothers of other contestants.

There is just so much you can do and I do not mind repeats if they produce nifty clothes. I would rather see them show their stuff than struggle with odd materials or children.
    yea but I think they have only done it like once for plus size..you know not everyone is boobles and wears a size 0

I know they have done designs for children but I am talking about picky middle school and high school teenagers...lmao..I have a 14 yr old daughter and let me tell you finding clothes that she likes is a major pain if I like it she hates it is she likes it I wouldn't let her out of the house in it
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I would like to see a challenge like that. The same fabric can look so different depending on how it's used so I'd be interested to see what all the designers did with it when they didn't see what their competitors were doing. Great idea!
    Yes - that's exactly what I had in mind.

Without being able to see what the others are putting together, we'd see who really has creativity and who is just a copy-cat.
    NFL1 likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast