+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Ideas for Project Runway

Re: Ideas for Project Runway

- Shorten the show back to 1 hour, it is too long and we gain no additional insight
    - Go back to showing them picking models at the beginning each time, and not the swapping only crap
    - Move back to Bravo
    - Less catty/for TV judges
    - Bring back past winners to judge one time
    - (and now the big one) MORE TIME TO MAKE CLOTHES. It should be minimum 2 days for every challenge. And if they must compromise, then remove immunity then. I would rather see good clothes come down the runway, not hobbled and thrown together, than people getting lucky with their designs and boomerang cause of it (yes, it is luck... considering how much time/pressure there is, finding the right design is sometimes luck).
    - Introduce special items, like as seen in Hair Battle Spectacular or Big Brother: ability to tie somebody's hand behind their back for one hour, sabatogue, pandora's box leading to model swapping, etc. With extra time, they should be able to adapt too. Nice way to spice up the show without resorting to usual tricks of "impossible challenge + no time = trainwreck" formula.

And the one I'll probably get flack for: cancel the show! It has totally jumped the shark for me, the personalities are not that interesting, the clothes are boring, the judges are predictable, the show has no spark left in it, it is dead but kept alive with life support just cause it has history. I'll keep watching since I usually never quit anything and I like competitions, but that doesn't mean I think it deserves to be on air. It's run it's course already.
    Last edited by Endit; 09-17-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    queenofitall likes this.

FORT Fogey

How about a challenge for not model skinny models or plus-size models but women sizes 8-14? You know, the sizes a great many "real" women actually wear.

Being short, and sick of much of what's available for petites, how about a petite model challenge? Just like not all women are thin, they're not all tall either, and what looks good on a tall person doesn't always look good on someone who's short and vice versa. Sometimes just cutting something that looks good on someone taller in a slightly different matter helps enormously too--and heaven knows, there's a market out there for petite clothing that looks professional and well-cut.

I've often wondered about the possibility of them looking into designing for people who have some difficulty getting dressed, because they're differently abled--make them think creatively about how to design for women who are still lead regular, working lives but have trouble dealing with zippers or tiny buttons or whatever. In other words, they'd have to think practically as well as aesthetically--and, one would hope, none of them would have the gall to whine about having to design differently for someone because she literally couldn't easily yank something over her head or wiggle into one of their creations.
    NFL1 likes this.

Endit I don't think they need to get to THAT extreme yet (cancel the show) though you do have a valid point on canceling it if they don't allow for a lot of the things you've suggested - particuarly the time frame. I don't even think Seth Aaron or Mondo (two excellent designers start to finish post move to Lifetime) would have done as well as they had if they were given the current time frames. I SERIOUSLY doubt Seth Aaron's houndstooth coat would've looked that great if he had the current frame.

As far as a challenge - why not have to force them to design an outfit to fit a particular piece of jewelry - i.e. statement necklace or bracelet? (Statement necklace for those wondering is similar to the multi-colored necklace Victor's model wore last week with the green/grey with yellow outfit). Surprisingly, trying to compliment an outfit to match one of those is NOT as easy as one would think. You can't go too simple nor can you go too flamboyant with one of those necklaces. Fortunately, I'm not someone who usually gets asked to make one of these, but I can say that I have had some challenge when people have requested I make a diachroic necklace for a particular outfit, and they tell me a description to the point I have to say I think a simple black and white pendant instead will be better than the multi-colored pendant you originally wanted.

It seems to me this season has in large part gotten away from the things that I enjoy. They are trying for drama rather than design. The group challenges are to create drama, not good design. The designers are on there to show us their style and they seem to be rarely getting the chance to really do that.

I'd like one challenge to see what they can come up with quickly, but mostly I'd like them to have time to create.

I'd like one challenge where they have to work as a group and come up with a cohesive line, but only one.

I want challenges where they get to actually design. Designing for different situations and with different materials is great, but please give them the time to do their best. That's what I want to see. The best designs these designers can come up with.

This show has really become a version of Real Housewives. I don't want the drama or cattyness...I want fashion. I wish they would have a season which consists of just ready to wear for a REAL woman. Let's face it the vast majority of us that watch this show can never wear 99% of these designs.
    I have such a difficult time personally trying to find clothes that fit me & my age group. I am between a size 0 & size 2 & am 5' short. 0's fit but I am trying to gain a few pounds. A size 0 is almost impossible to find anyway which puts me smack into juniors...don't want to do that. Macy's & New York & Company are fine most of the time but why can't designers make clothes for us a bit "seasoned" ladies who don't want to be a hoochie mamma, a soccer mom or grandma. I have to dress professionally & it is so hard. I used to enjoy shopping now shopping just makes me cry.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Shopping has always made me cry, between not finding things that fit me and the prices of items that do!

Seriously, I've cried in many dressing rooms, mostly when I was in my teens. One time a nice sales associate gave me a pep talk and a hug when I was difficult time. I was trying to find a dress for pictures at school and nothing in the juniors section would fit me. I had to look in the adult section and I was only like 12. I was so humiliated and upset. Never have liked shopping for clothes.

I'm glad stores have larger sizes now. It used to be that clothes sizes only went up to 10 or 12 in most stores in my area. If you were larger than that, you were just plain out of luck. You had to find something stretchable to squeeze into or stick to jeans and t-shirts.
    Last edited by pikachu; 09-22-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    NFL1 likes this.

It is just as difficult to find clothes when you are a tiny size as well pikachu. I cried in a Macy's dressing room last year & could not find anything in the store that fit & was age & professional. Yes this is a smaller Macy's but only 1 pair of black pants that were $99...sigh!
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Ouch! Yeah, I would definitely cry over spending $99 for one pair of pants or going home with nothing.

Please, somebody nominate me for What Not to Wear so I can get a whole new wardrobe for free! They can have all the clothes I currently own. They're pretty much all garbage. I only wish Nick was still doing the hair. I liked him better than the current guy. I don't care what Stacey says, though. I ain't wearing heels!
    Allie likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

You got that right PA Snow Bunny. I've spread some around the middle (I think that's why they call it "middle age"!) but I had problems like that growing up and even into my early thirties.

My daughter has the same problems now. She's 22 and still shops in the kids section to find jeans, casual pants and tops. It's frustrating because the "designers" (it's tough to actually call them that) want to BEDAZZLE the jeans or put cutesy pics on the shirts.

Fortunately, I learned to sew a long time ago - out of sheer necessity. I can hem and take most things in at the waist to make them fit a bit better. Those pants with the adjustable straps hidden in the waistband have been a Godsend.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I would like to see an ep to where they all were given a larger amount of money (OK do the top four if they are cheap). I mean a thousand or more. PLUS more time for ONE outfit. NO twists. See what they can really do.
    Duckyface likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast