+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 9/1 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 9/1 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Well color me embarrassed. What I thought was Kimberley's outfit was actually VICTOR'S! :-[

I really do like Kimberley's outfit... I blame the Lifetime's site being slow to update the photo of the designer with the picture of their work.

Still stand by my opinion on Bert's though - he would've been better NOT doing the bubble pants and sticked to a sleeker version. It would've made for a nice silhouette.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My critiques:

Anthony: Anthony Ryan really redeemed himself after his fashion disaster last week. Until his dress came down the runway, I was rating the outfits against each other, seeing which was the best so far, because I wasn’t really enthused about any of them. Then his model came out and I was like that’s the winning dress this week! The shape of the gown is flattering and interesting and I like the styling he gave his model. I do agree that the execution of the dress could have been better.

Anya: I’m a bit puzzled by Anya’s dress. I can’t decide if I like it or not. Looking at it overall, I like it ok. When I zero in on the components, I don’t really like the pattern, I’m not sure that the choice of feathers and the open front was the best, and I definitely don’t like the model’s hair. The dress appears to be how you’d look if you were standing in a wind tunnel and the strong wind made your skirt balloon, your shirt fly open, and your hair get crazy. Yet somehow, when you put it all together, I don’t hate it…and I’m not sure why. Maybe I like the windswept ecstasy of it.

Becky: I think this dress is pretty cool but could use some tweaking. Maybe if the cubes on the model’s shoulder were done in a richer fabric, perhaps something glittery, or done in a different shape, like circles, it would look less like a kid’s craft project. Or perhaps she could have left the cubes off and instead had an epaulette on the model’s shoulder to add interest.

Bert: Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall…into a bowl of Lucky Charms! And all the king’s horses and all the king’s men, couldn’t understand why Heidi Klum said she liked this outfit.

Bryce: Bryce forgot to make a cap for Dopey, I mean his model, to wear with her gown.

Bryce seems to get a lot of inspiration from kids’ movies. I think it would help him mature as a designer to get out and see what real women are wearing. I don’t see the straightjacket look taking off anytime, except maybe in an insane asylum.

Joshua C: Josh C had a wolf for inspiration and this look is what he came up with? He must have been thinking of the wolf whistles a trashy girl gets from lecherous potential dates. I really don’t like the halter around the model’s neck. He just did a halter last week but it wasn’t as high up and broad across the front as this one. I would have like to see him use the fur somewhere. Perhaps if he had used the fur on the open part of the front…but then again that might have made the model look like she had a hairy chest. I don’t know if anything could have saved this outfit. Sometimes you just have to start over from the beginning and he didn’t have the time to do that.

Joshua M: I don’t like the puffiness of the top. I think if Josh M had trimmed the flowers in the front to create a neckline, I would have liked it more. The model looks like she’s being choked by a flower bed. The big hair coupled with the big top is too much. Like Michael Kors said, he could have put her hair up or slicked it back for a better look.

Kimberly: My thoughts when I saw this on the runway…dominatrix of the henhouse. This isn't a look I'd gravitate toward but it was interesting and someone with a poultry fetish (ahem, Colonel Sanders) might crow about it.

Laura: I hated this dress and worried that it might possibly win this week after the way the judges were raving about it. I don’t like the color, the one floppy shoulder, or the messy overall look of it. The corseting must come through better in real life because on the runway, I didn’t notice it.

Olivier: What do you do when you’re blow-drying your hair with a bath towel wrapped around you and the doorbell rings so you have to hurry to answer it? Drape a sheet across your shoulder and go let your guest in! I think that’s the story this dress tells.

Viktor: It looks like Viktor borrowed some of Bryce’s pee pads from the Petland challenge and supplemented it with toilet paper to make this piss-poor getup. It’s lucky he had immunity this week or he might have been flushed.

BTW, did the designers think avante garde meant no neck? So many of the fashions this week made the models look like their head was affixed to their shoulders with no neck between. One of the reasons I liked Anthony's winning dress was because he didn't do that.
    Last edited by pikachu; 09-02-2011 at 02:04 PM.

FORT Fogey

I really hated Laura and Viktor's dresses (aside from Olivier and Bert). I didn't get all the praise for Laura, it looked like something washed out, and the corset wire looking things coming through - YUK.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Here's how I would rank the fashions:

1. Anthony--the winner by far
    2. Becky--love the bones of the dress, just needs some adjusting to the details
    3. Joshua M.--the skirt alone put it in this position. The whole outfit would move it's rank down to 5
    4. Kimberly--it isn't my style but at least it's a cohesive look
    5. Anya--I keep switching places between this one and Kimberly's. I like them about the same
    6. Joshua C--not avante garde and not attractive. Not the worst look, though
    7. Bryce--I'm not impressed with Bryce as a designer yet
    8. Olivier--Anthony might not be the only contestant who is color blind. Olivier doesn't seem to like color but his fashions need it
    9. Laura--wretched homemade prom dress hurriedly constructed the night before the prom and slept in before pictures were taken
    10. Viktor--what a confusing mess
    11. Bert--horrible shape, awful colors, 3d junk plastered onto the garment, he should have been sent home for this

Anthony--I wanted him to go home last week, but I've got to hand it to him. He hit it out of the ballpark this week. I agreed with the judges that this dress should win. What a turnaround. Has any other contestant ever bounced back from next-to-last (and according to Heidi, should have been last) to first in the very next challenge? I have a lousy memory for these things.

Anya--I liked her dress. I've always loved old-fashioned hoop skirt dresses, and I loved the material of the skirt. In fact, Anya's and Kimberly's dresses were the only ones that I thought were avant guarde without being tasteless/tacky/boring. As a plus, both of them nailed the styling: funky but not distracting from the dress.

Becky--looked like a demonstration for a high school science class

Burt--what can you even say? Some other contestant compared them to jodphurs. Please tell me that this guy was trying to be nice, and wasn't showing more fashion ignorance. Jodphurs are riding pants, for Pete's sake. They balloon out because you wear them with tight riding boots. They also sit on the hips like normal trousers. This was another model in a garbage sack, with my toddler niece's toys plastered on. (Loved that judge's comment about the toys. They were SO right. ) Jodphurs can be sexy with the right attire. There was nothing remotely sexy about these trousers.

Bryce--a straightjacket? Really? I guess women wearing avant guarde don't need to use their hands, but that sure would make for an interesting dinner date.

Joshua M--I didn't like this outfit. The skirt was too literal for me. It reminded me of wallpaper. The blouse reminded me of my grandmother's shag carpeting. I thought it was cool--30 years ago. And I have yet to find words for that netting on the model's hair.

Kimberly--I loved the dress itself. However, I have to confess that when I saw the fur I thought of Raquel Welch in 10,000 B.C.

Laura--bleh. I wholeheartedly agree with the prom dress analogy. And I didn't realize it was corseting, either. I thought it was just some weird striping. And finally, what judge said that if have to explain how the dress relates to the picture, that's not good? Then why did they end up loving this dress?

Olivier--my toilet paper roll after my cat gets her claws into it. And yeah, I keep expecting him to faint one day like a Victorian lady. Actually, he reminds me of the Cheshire cat, just fading away with every episode. Soon there will be nothing left except for his accent.

Viktor--another toilet paper dress, only I must say the blue was pretty. I liked his shade of blue better than Olivier's.

Josh C--what oh what do you say to this? Normally I love the dramatic pairing of black and white. However, this was just a mess. With that wild mane of hair on the model, my first thought was "Elizabethan serving wench who stuck her finger in a light socket." And is it just me, but are those boots too loose? From the pictures, it looks like she had almost an inch of space between her leg and the boot. That's supposed to be sexy? And I really, really hope that model was wearing footies, and not going barefoot in those boots.
    pikachu likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I don't think many of these are really avant garde. Fashionable or more creative, but not avant garde. However I can say that they were all more interesting than what we've seen so far.

And I am SHOCKED that Bryce is still in it, let alone safe. The picture Byrce got was not done justice. His garment was not avant garde at all... it looks like cheap halloween costume, of the sexy/fashionable variety. The picture he was given had a kind bloody psychdelic darkness to it and panicky and it could have gone a lot further. The decision to keep him is only a reality tv setup. Sure, that one guy may have gone home for the werewolf hunter outfit, but at least you can invision multiple purposes for it. The thing Bryce made was just... ??? I am speechless. This is nothing but a for TV verdict.

Laura's, the flower dress, I don't feel it's avant garde at all either! It's a pretty long dress inspired by flowers and their delicateness (if that doesn't sound cliche and recycled Paris to you then you will NEVER learn!). I feel I've seen that before.

I wonder what its' like to be a real artist. You can see it in a lot of the kids, not lady gaga look at me "artistry". I'm not really an artist at all, my creations in art class at school always feel forced and ultimately pointless. I look at things so technically or literally.
    Last edited by Endit; 09-03-2011 at 04:23 AM.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I woke up at 2 and couldn't get back to sleep, so I watched the episode, which I'd DVR'd in the bedroom. How enjoyable to see the designers work with someone (the kids) without all the drama of previous episodes. Even Bert and Josh spoke civilly to each other - even when the kids weren't around. Made the whole show more enjoyable. Wasn't overly impressed with most of what was done, but I DID love the episode nonetheless.

I agree on Laura's flower dress. It was pretty but boring. And to have to explain so much your inspiration? Even when she did explain I thought she was stretching it. There were worse ones, but no way should she have been in the top 3. Safe? Yes.

FORT Fogey

I loved Laura's dress (the boning seen under the transparent ruffles), but it did remind me of the Christian Siriano/Chris March avant garde concoction but more sparse with the ruffles. And I noticed, this is the second challenge where AR created a simple sleeveless, high-neck dress with stuff bedazzled/glued to it that was received well at judging. Is this going to be his schtick?

FORT Fogey

I also noticed that the models seem like a non-issue in this season (even though these models are also in competition). I really like Danielle's model's (who was Joshua C.'s model for this challenge) look and walk. It seems unfair to these models and I hope that at some point ALL the models are brought back in and the designers are able to switch. I think Viktor is talented (I don't really like his deigns but I can see the talent and the ability behind his work) and would not like him to get stuck with a bad model.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast