+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite contestants/memorable challenges

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Favorite contestants/memorable challenges

To be honest, Project Runway is one of those shows that I have a short attention span for. I can barely remember the names of the contestants while the season is on. Once it's over, I'm lucky if I can remember 1 or 2 designers from the season. Usually, I have to look up who they are if they're mentioned after the fact.

There have been a few designers I remember and some challenges that stick in my mind. I thought it might be fun to go over them in this thread! Feel free to share your own favorite designers and memorable challenges.

My favorite designer from season one was Austin Scarlett. Yes, his outfits were customy, but they were beautiful, stunning, and glamourous. I would definitely hire him to make me a dress for a special occasion (if I had the money and an event special enough to display his work). The most memorable challenge from that season to me was when they had to make an outfit from materials found at a supermarket. Austin's dress made from corn husks was so out of the box and looked gorgeous before it dried out. Fortunately for him, it still looked interesting dry and he won the challenge that week.

It's hard to forget Wendy Pepper from that season. I thought she was a weirdo and didn't like the crap she constructed during the show. But, oddly, I actually liked the line she came up with for the finale. They were clothes I would wear. Jay's pieces were a strong concept, which is why I believe he won, but not the type of thing I would wear.

I had to look up which season and which designer it was that introduced the cancer dress. Ends up it was also season one and it was made by Starr. It had these reddish lumps (tumors) on it which she said were supposed to represent envy from other people growing on the model like a cancer. Really bizarre concept and it looked hideous, too.

I'll have to write more later so this post doesn't get too long and to give other people a chance to mention some.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Favorite contestants/memorable challenges

I loved Austin, too. Not many designers would put on ANOTHER designer's outfit and model it, as Austin did when one of the models didn't show up during his season. I've also seen him on "Say Yes to the Dress," working with a very real bride. He didn't seem to be full of himself and "too good" to deal with real people. Another of my favorites was Mondo from last year. I must admit when I first saw him, I thought he was a ridiculous caricature of a "do your own thing" designer. But he proved himself to be a good person, and a fabulous, fabulous designer. The travesty of his NOT winning last season left a terrible taste in my mouth. And from the blogs and comments I've read, I'm not the only one.

I'm not of an age, size, or financial level to buy and wear clothes from most of the designers I've seen on PR - but that doesn't stop me from admiring their work!

My most recent favorite was Seth Aaron. I loved the car challenge where they had to use parts stripped from a Saturn. I believe that was season 5?

FORT Fogey

The most memorable, for me, were Jay and Austin from season one. No one has yet to match their chemistry and humor. And I would have to throw in Wendy Pepper because she unwittingly added to the their chemistry as being the shared enemy.

As a person I adore Laura. She is a stand out for me. Her manner, personality, humor and fascinating life style stick in my memory.

I am sure there are more but these are the first to leap to mind.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Another of my favorite past contestants was Kayne Gillaspie from season three. I liked his fashions but also thought he was a cutey. He got his own reality show after Project Runway and I watched it a few times but found that a little of him goes a long way. I started finding him over-the-top and annoying so I stopped watching.

Austin was like that a bit, too. On Project Runway, he certainly was different from everybody else but still managed to come across as relatively normal. He was like a caricature on the reality show he did with another Project Runway alum, Santino Rice. I only watched a few episodes of it before losing interest.

Another challenge I remember was one where Chloe Dao (season two) glued a bunch of leaves all over her dress. In looking up which episode that was, I found an article that said Chloe committed suicide shortly after her PR win! This is the first I've heard of it. How horrible! I never would have seen that coming and just don't know what to say. CNN.com - 'Project Runway' winner dead - Mar 10, 2006

I'm very confused now. I tried looking for more articles about Chloe and don't find any other sources saying she died. In fact, Wikipedia and many other sites say she's still alive and designing. I'm surprised that a site like CNN.com, which I would consider to be reputable, would post information without verifying it but it appears that they're wrong about Chloe's suicide. This story is a work of fiction.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I'm very confused now. I tried looking for more articles about Chloe and don't find any other sources saying she died. In fact, Wikipedia and many other sites say she's still alive and designing. I'm surprised that a site like CNN.com, which I would consider to be reputable, would post information without verifying it but it appears that they're wrong about Chloe's suicide. This story is a work of fiction.
    That is a fake CNN site. If you read the article you will see it is a humorous account. She "died" from stab wounds in her back and Santino was with her. Total goof.

It didn't seem too humorous to me. Oh, well.

My past faves and most memorable designers are Korto (Season 5), Laura (Season 3) and I can never forget Andre and Santino from Season 2. The whole Tim Gunn impression and "Where's Andre" skit never let me down. I watch it on Youtube whenever I'm having a bad day and need a good laugh.

One of my most favorite challenges was from Season 2 when they had to use all plants and flowers. Some of the designs were really pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by kireelady View Post
    I can never forget Andre and Santino from Season 2. The whole Tim Gunn impression and "Where's Andre" skit never let me down. I watch it on Youtube whenever I'm having a bad day and need a good laugh.
    I still crack up when I pass by Red Lobster, see commercials for it, or hear people mention it. I think of Santino doing his Tim Gunn impression. ROFL!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast