+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What are your fashion credentials?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

What are your fashion credentials?

I'm a bit curious about the people at this forum making critiques. Would you consider yourself to be a fashionista? Do you have people in real life copy your look or turn to you for fashion advice? Do you get fashion magazines or browse through them at the library, hairdresser, or doctor's office? Have you done any sewing yourself?

On the surface, I seem like a strange person to have taken an interest in Project Runway because I never have been into fashion or been considered a trendsitter. I absolutely hate clothes shopping, which seems rare for a girl. I'm not the type that squeals over how cute a pair of shoes or a handbag is. Accessories are not a big part of my world. I might carry an umbrella with me if it looks like it's going to rain but I use the same umbrella no matter what I'm wearing, not coordinating it with the shoes, belt, or earrings I have on that day.

My sister showed some interest in fashion when we were younger. She started with an interest in dolls and by middle school, she was making her own clothes. I only learned enough to sew buttons on, repair a torn seam, hem the leg of my pants, etc. I did make a shirt for Halloween one year with my mom's help.

I may not be an expert on fashion or design, but I know what I like to wear and I feel like that alone qualifies me to comment on fashion. One of the things I like about this show is it makes me more aware of the technical terms of sewing (I never knew what "rousching" was before watching Project Runway) and I've learned more about WHY I do or don't like a certain look. Before, I never really thought about what I didn't like when I'd try clothes on or see them in the window at a store.

Sometimes when I see a dreadful design on the show, I'll think "I could do better than that!", or when I see something I like, I feel inspired to try making a similar outfit myself. However, the reality is I doubt I'll ever be a fashion designer, I know I'll never appear on Project Runway, and there's no chance my garments would ever appear in any retail stores. I enjoy being a couch critic, though, and sharing my opinions with the people on this forum.

And excuse the long post. If you've learned anything about me by now, you'll know I'm a talker when I get going on a subject.
    Last edited by pikachu; 08-26-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Cootie likes this.

Re: What are your fashion credentials?

my fashion sense is blue jeans a tee shirt and tennis shoes...lol...and I have said as much many times....but I don't think calling an outfit butt ugly takes much fashion sense...my daughter is really into fashion and even she has said that she has not seen but one or two outfits that she would be caught dead in...lol
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I would definitely NOT call myself a fashionista, but I do know what I like. I enjoy clothes shopping and love when I find exactly what I'm looking for, but I am also a bargain hunter - I want good quality at a good price! On a day-to-day basis I want to wear clothes that are flattering and comfortable. I am a mom, and the comment a couple of show ago about one of the dresses being something a mom would cook dinner in made me (literally) laugh out loud!!!!

I'm not a huge sewer, but I know my way around a sewing machine. I loved to make clothes for my Barbies when I was a kid and graduated to making actual clothes and Halloween costumes for myself when I was a young teen. I don't do much clothes sewing these days. I stick with clothing repairs or adjustments and household stuff like curtains and table coverings. I certainly would not be able to design and pattern an outfit on my own!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

In my younger years, I used to make most of my own clothes, as well as my daughter's. I've always said that I'm not an artist, I'm a technician. I could follow the patterns really well, but my only "design" would be in the choosing of fabrics and trim. These days, I even take slacks to a seamstress to have them hemmed, because I've forgotten everything I haven't just plain lost interest in. All of that just to say that I do know about constructing garments. I'm impressed with those who can create their own patterns, and those who design by draping.

In my big-city employee days, I had a pair of shoes to match every outfit, and was often complimented on my taste in clothes. These days, I live in capri pants, t-shirts, and sandals. I'm short and not thin. I look at the stuff they design on PR and wonder WHO is wearing it. I don't see much that's realistic for real people to wear. Many of the skirts and shorts are TOO short. The designs look like they can be sold at "Sluts are Us."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I look at the stuff they design on PR and wonder WHO is wearing it. I don't see much that's realistic for real people to wear. Many of the skirts and shorts are TOO short. The designs look like they can be sold at "Sluts are Us."
    I feel the same way about clothes I see on runway shows or hairstyles I see in books at the haircutting place. They might be eyecatching or unique but who in real life (and in their right mind) would wear them?? I hate fashion that's created simply to make a spectacle. If it's not something the average person can relate to and picture themselves wearing, I don't see the point in designing it.

Or maybe that's just the Capricorn in me talking.
    AZChristian likes this.

Because I'm a belly dancer, I mostly make all sorts of belly dance costumes. I don't really make much regular clothing although I'd love to do it but I just don't have time. I'm waiting for them to come up with a dance outfit challenge. Obviously of the belly dance variety! What I would love is to see Chris March's interpretation!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

I started sewing clothes for my dolls when I was 4 years old. And designed and sewed clothes for a shop in Hawaii for six years. When my daughter was in high school I made many dresses for she and her friends for proms, etc. And I used to sew many other items of clothing for others over the years, including wedding dresses. But as far my own style, I work in an elementary school so try to be practical about how I dress. I think both my kids have better fashion sense than I do, so I listen to them! I love watching PR because of the challenges and to check out the sewing skills of the designers!

Growing up, my Mom who is a fantastic seamstress, sewed all of our clothes. I remember a pant suit that she made for me from a dreadful piece of orange, brown and green plaid material. I was so excited the day I tore the knee out playing kick ball at school. I came home hiding my happiness that I would never have to wear it again...She took one look and said "Oh, thank goodness, I have just enough fabric to sew another pant leg..."
    Before that day, I had avoided going to the material store with her and my sister to pick out patterns and fabric. I decided if you can't beat them join them. I would pick out different patterns and pieces of patterns, collars, skirts, pants and all of my fabric. If I could not find a pattern for something I had seen, I would sketch it out for her. She would sew, we would tweak and came up with some neat outfits. I never liked to sew other than craft projects, costumes or repair work. Now, because of work, my outfits consist of jeans and t-shirts.
    I don't think I would qualify as a fashion critic by any means. I do enjoy looking at the designs, the fabric combinations and their sewing techniques. I've got my Mom, who is 81, watching and she gets a kick out of some of the outfits they come up with. As well as the rushing to get it done by the deadline. She remembers us saying "Mommm... I need it by tomorrow"....
    Although I agree, I don't know who would wear some of the outfits.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 08-27-2011 at 01:02 PM.

I can barely sew a button back on a shirt. I have zero fashion credentials, and my normal outfit is sweats and a black t-shirt. Even when I dress up, it's like 'Michael Kors dress-up'. My interest in fashion (and anything I know about clothing or design) stems solely from having watched PR from Season 1.
    JLuvs, Arielflies and Allie like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I like to say my style is a cure for insomnia Can't sew. Heck, I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler at times! Hate hate hate hate shopping. Can't wear cute shoes so I am a bit bitter about those who can.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast