+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 8/25 Show Discussion **WEST COAST SPOILER**

FORT Fogey

Re: 8/25 Show Discussion **WEST COAST SPOILER**

They've definitely talked about giving the contestants scores before. Maybe they need to have them enter the scores into a keypad, so that it's locked in before the discussion. Then use the scores to break the ties. That way Nina and Michael can't bully Heidi and guest judges into giving them their way, though I wouldn't put it past Nina and Michael to give really low scores to a particular designer, just to make sure he/she had to go.

And, of course, there would be issues about who went down the runway first, as an early design might be given a high score only to be followed later by an even better design, which, depending on how they handled the scoring, might not be able to be given a score significantly higher than the previous design.

Maybe they just need a human tie-breaker who isn't involved with production, so that the winner isn't chosen for dramatic effect as opposed to his/her design abilities.

I'm impressed that so many here are feeling the exact same thing about PR.
    It's not what it used to be.
    People over 40 usually dress better and definitely have more money to spend so be nice to them.
    That apology was sooo insincere. I don't think he did it to please Anya. I think he was considering the competition and how they could lose if drama continued.
    Michael and Nina are hard to even tolerate anymore with their inflated egos.

And another thing:
    I'm not getting enough of Tim Gunn.

FORT Fogey

I think that the reason Nina and Michael based their decision in keeping Anthony Ryan over Danielle on past challenges was to avoid another Wendy Pepper fiasco. All-in-all I would like that the best 3 designers end up in the finale so that we can be sure that the best designer won (and that a spot in the final three won't be wasted on a mediocre/less talented designer). Anthony Ryan is not one of my favorites (I hated his first challenge dress with the lace that won 2nd place and I think he copies existing designers because his design aesthetic changes a lot) but he's been turning out better work than Danielle. Although I think Bryce should have been eliminated several challenges ago (and has been consistently showing bad work and taste level), he hasn't had the misfortune of being in the bottom 3 the recent challenges like Danielle.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    Bert is still designing as if he were in the 70's or 80's not 2011....and I have to say Julie got robbed blind...she was my favorite going in based on her rack only but when the girl quit it should have been Julie brough back it was the only right thing to do IMO

now I didn't watch this show til it moved to lifetime..I never even knew it existed before then..shame on me...sounds like I missed some good shows..but it was my opinion that this show was about designing courtore or high time fashion so why are they designing something to go with a pair of tennis shoes????? you can easily go to wal mart and pick up shorts and a tee to go with tennis shoes...high fashion and tennis shoes DO NOT go together
    Check Lifetime's TV Schedule because they are marathoning the previous seasons. I saw the end of season 1 yesterday.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post

---I volunteer at a nursing home, and there was a resident there for a number of years who was a retired professor of foreign languages. I never saw her in anything but a skirt, silk blouse, blazer or tasteful cardigan, and a string of real pearls. Absolutely classic style--and she was that way right until the end. She also used to choose a language a day and try to converse as much as possible in that language, which I thought was hysterical. Some people thought it was a sign of senility, but I knew it was her way of showing just how on top of it she still was--and if she knew you understood a particular language, she'd deliberately switch to it when you were around (and sort of sigh and switch to English if you looked lost). I've been told by people who knew her when she was younger that I should have seen her in her prime--she was definitely someone to be reckoned with.
    I wish I could have met her. I love learning languages.

---Bert did say something to the effect that it's hard being around people thirty years his junior constantly, and I can understand that. When there's that much of an age gap, your sleeping, eating, socializing patterns are just so different and so are all your frames of reference. And he's never getting a break. It's not like he just works with them. He lives with them too. I get the impression that Bert is the kind of person who needs alone time, and he's really not in a position to get any. I know I'm not big on having to spend time in any sort of dorm like situation at all anymore--in fact, I'm pretty sure I'd hate it--but I was fine with it when I was in college.
    As an older (cough, cough) woman, I'm afraid that I sympathize with Burt. It's not just the age thing. When I was in college, I hated living in a dorm. At heart I'm the kind of person who loves to curl up with a good book. My favorite year of college was when I had a music major for a roommate and so I rarely saw her.

Watts said:

Anthony Ryan is not one of my favorites (I hated his first challenge dress with the lace that won 2nd place and I think he copies existing designers because his design aesthetic changes a lot) but he's been turning out better work than Danielle.
    I was torn. I really wanted AR to get eliminated because of his shoddy work and attitude. However, I can see why N & M wanted to eliminate Danielle. She may not have been as bad as AR on this particular challenge, but she has been consistently bad. If AR hadn't of been so spectacularly awful on this challenge I would have had no problem sending Danielle home.

Dragonlady said:

That apology was sooo insincere. I don't think he did it to please Anya. I think he was considering the competition and how they could lose if drama continued.
    Great point.

Jammyjoe said:

Victor was 4th place but he got the advantage by being able to choose who he wanted to come back while the other three they had to put up with their 3rd choice who they did not want to be on their team, thus resulting in more conflict with their teams. Victor and Oliver also had the advantage designing their collection early on, as Victor put it, because they didn't have to worry about butting heads with an extra member.
    More great points. I was so caught up in the drama going on with the other teams that I forgot all about Victor and Olivier. They really did have an advantage, didn't they, since from the beginning it was just two of them and they got along great. That just made this episode even more unfair. What a total fiasco.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I just watched the episode online, as my dvr didn't pick it up - so disappointed, but thankful to get it online (old enough to appreciate it b/c that never could've happened w/my favorite shows in my 20s or 30s).

Josh was just plain awful to Becky. He acted so high and mighty, then got complimented on his leadership and at the end when he gave Becky props for sticking up for herself, he's just too much for me.

And Bert is unbearable. Even though he thinks he's not part of the clique, and it may be true, he's still not even trying to be nice to anyone or cooperate. I think he's got a nasty mouth, swearing under his breath all the time, and he interrupts everyone when they try to talk to him. He was pretty class-less on the runway too, if you ask me. Obviously Anthony's look was dreadful, so for him to cheer about the digs on it was just sinking to a new low. Act mature if you're going to be the "old" one on the team. Oh, and I heard Anthony actually had strep this episode.

I can't stand quitters - Cecilia's pouting was excruciating to watch! Oh my gosh - I wanted to slap her (or give her a timeout for being such a baby). Good riddance.

I've said this before, but here we go again - Heidi gets overruled in judging. It's her show, this was her challenge, she should get final say in all matters. Nina is contrary for the sake of being contrary, I believe. She's so dang bossy and bullies everyone - I can't stand it. She doesn't seem reasonable at all, whereas Michael kind of does. I think she digs in her heels, and Heidi has to give in because Nina never will. Yuck.

The designs tonight were better (in general) than we've seen so far this season, but overall I'm still disappointed in the very underwhelming "design" of the clothes. I want to see things that are unique, novel, exciting - but instead, their designs so far have been pretty darn bland. I'm trying to remember any of them right now, from past episodes, and can only recall the red one from the stilt comp. Otherwise, nothing stands out, where I think the winners should be so awesome that we're thinking of them and talking about them even after the show is over. I can still recall several of Christian Siriano's designs, and how many years ago was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I continually become disappointed in Project Runway, esp this season.
    Yes, this show jumped the shark a LONG time ago. I find it a chore to watch now but I still do anyways.

I really don't like Joshua. And he's just stupid too. There is no good meaning to dowdy. It is the opposite of everything fashionable. Reminded me of this time of Kitchen Nightmares when Ramsey insulted somebody with a big ego and he couldn't take it, getting all pissy and such. His brother knows that they can't afford any loose cannons so he concocts some bull**** about how Ramsey's statement really wasn't an insult (although unless you are an idiot, you can tell otherwise). Josha, it was disingenuous stank! He chose her for the sewing, PERIOD!

It's almost like Cecelia had a psychic dream and that was the reason she quit this time... too much drama and ugly outfits all around.

And if anybody is not convinced that Project Runway has lost it's spark and all the life it once had, rethink Julie not coming back, the official decision to save Ryan diverting away from challenge to challenge elimations, and the repeat "design for Heidi" challenge we've all seen before.

The purging of the judges for Project Runway All Stars and PR Accessory will be the best thing about them.

Lifetime has not managed this show well since it took it over. Bravo did a much better job with it.
    You are very correct. That being said, the Australian Project Runway has consisted of EVERY challenge being only 8 hours, one day. Pathetic.
    Last edited by Endit; 08-28-2011 at 08:55 AM.

In defense of Bert he is a recovering alcoholic and probably very conscious of his boundaries and triggers and does make sure no one crosses them. Is he polite about it? No. He also vents his feelings and at least we know exactly how he is feeling about anyone. You can't accuse him of being fake. Is it difficult to be around? Yes. Unfortunately, as a contestant in a reality tv show you are in close quarters and under a lot of pressure. It's done on purpose to produce drama. Still I find it a crock that Bert feels isolated because of age. I find at my workplace the ageists are the young folks not the older. I think it's more as a recovering alcoholic he controls his environment and in this case he cannot and he probably feels very vulnerable and lashes out at everyone.
    JulieAnn and AZChristian like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I am sick of these young punk designers who think that once you're past 30, you're not worth designing for. Excuse me, honey? Both Nina and Heidi are (I'm guessing) over 40, and they look darn good for their age.
    Heidi is a few months younger than me, but we're both 38. Nina is is 46. What Josh M. misses is that we're in the age group that *could* have the disposable income for high fashion. (Me, no kids, just pets...but I shop at The Gap, because I'm not a big clothing spender and realize how stupid it is to spend on a $600 sweater bolero from Kors that looks like it was made by poorly trained chimps.) Now, I'm sure Heidi and Nina get comps, and I'd rather pay down the mortgage. The perfectly slim twenty something girl is either (a) a trust fund baby--of which there are few of these days, (b) someone with waaay too much credit card debt, or (c) a fool.

Bert's problem is that he hasn't even tried to get to know the competition. He admitted in the last episode that he hasn't bothered to learn the other designers' names because it doesn't matter to him. That bothers me. It's equally ageist to assume that younger people don't have good ideas. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. That's why you use your experience and don't just shoot someone down on account of they are too old or too young. As for the recovering alcoholic line of thinking, no one cut Jeffrey Sobilia any slack on that. I sure as heck didn't. Demons past are past. Bert need to just stop whining and get his butt in gear, take the compliments from the judges, and stop acting like a 12-year-old on the runway. If anything, he acts less than half his age in his petulance.

I found it amusing (and ridiculous) that Bert complains there is such an age gap he can't relate to anyone there, so doesn't bother, when his antics on the runway while the other two team members were being crucified by the judges were the actions of a badly-behaved child. The grinning, fists raised in the air, giggling and dancing were unprofessional, discourteous, and truly appalling. I'm not saying the others have treated him like gold (there's plenty of blame to share) but if you want to be treated with respect as an older adult, Bert, then try acting like one. His butt cannot hit the workroom to clean up his space fast enough for me.

I. cannot. Stand. Josh. Ugh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast