+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 8/25 Show Discussion **WEST COAST SPOILER**

Re: 8/25 Show Discussion **WEST COAST SPOILER**

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    No - someone can be effeminate and be straight. I know many men who exhibit some feminine traits - higher pitched voice than even some tenors, likes for pinks and other unusual colors, and are quite hetereosexual.
    Oh, I know that men can be effeminate and straight. I certainly know some men like this myself. My concern was more about whether his upbringing may be causing him to be closeted. Certainly there is no way to know, we can only take what he says at face value.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My critiques:

Joshua M: I’m so glad Heidi steered Joshua in another direction from where he started! We’ve seen so many outfits with the front panel and different colored panels on the sides. I like everything about this outfit—the shirt, the coverup, and the shorts. The only thing I don’t like is this team’s styling, with the models’ hair pulled up in an odd topknot. When did the Woody Woodpecker become a contemporary hairstyle?

Anya: I really love this dress. One thing that impresses me about Anya is she’s already developed her own look. You see a fashion and know right away it’s hers. She does so while making enough variations in each outfit to keep them from looking all the same. The judges ragged on her a bit for the pink stripe but I like it. It gives the dress more impact and splits the model in two, making her appear even longer and leaner.

Becky: The skirt was fine, perhaps a bit too short and tight, but the t-shirt was awful. If your boobs aren’t absolutely symmetrical, it’s going to show in this shirt. Perhaps it would have worked better with a darker, stiffer fabric instead of the grey jersey material.

Bryce: His poor model looks like a house elf. Please, Bryce, have pity on the girl and throw her a sock when you get sent home so she can be free!

Kimberly: I like the jacket a lot but the shorts are awful. On the runway, they reminded me of the Huggies Jeans diapers. When you have a bulky top, you don’t want to pair it with a bulky bottom because it makes your body look like a shapeless blob with arms and legs sticking out. Becky’s skirt would have looked great paired with this jacket.

Danielle: I did appreciate the bit of color in Danielle’s outfit but since her teammates used all neutral colors, her look didn’t fit in. Plus, it just didn’t look special. I’ve seen plenty of tops like that. The finishing was very sloppy, too. She managed to make a brand-new top look like she fished it out of a gym bag she had put away in her closet.

Anthony: Ahh, the height of redneck fashion! You’ll look like the queen of the trailer park in this Hefty bag with an adjustable duct tape shoulder strap. It don’t need ironing, neither. It’s supposed to look like a wrinkled old hound dog!

Laura: Without the weird grey thing, for lack of a better word, this outfit would be ok. It doesn’t know if it’s supposed to be a jacket, a scarf, or a vest. Is it just the picture or are the back of the shorts uneven? I didn’t notice when I saw it on the runway because my eye was drawn to the grey whatchamacallit.

Bert: I didn’t like Bert’s top when Heidi came to check on the teams in the workroom. The muslin version looked like two napkins pinned together. However, the finished look really came out well! He had the best look on his team.

Viktor: Despite being handicapped with having the worst model, Viktor had a great jacket! I don’t know that I like the dress. Monotone is not really my thing and the model certainly did nothing to convince me this was something I might want to wear. She looked like she was about to fall asleep on the runway.

Olivier: I would say that Olivier’s fall on the track earlier in the episode knocked the creativity out of him but truthfully, this isn’t the first outfit of his I was less than impressed with. He has some serious fit issues and his looks aren’t very flattering to the female form. I don’t think he will go on much longer in this competition. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he pulls a Cecilia and gives up in the next few weeks. I don’t think his heart is really in this.

Joshua C: Nina said she liked this look because it looked from the front like the model was wearing a backpack. Why would you want to look like you were toting a backpack if you weren’t?? It reminded me of the old-fashioned gun holsters men wore under their suits in the 20’s. I wasn’t sure if I liked it but I was definitely sure I didn’t like it paired with the rumpled, sloppy t-shirt. Perhaps a vested shirt underneath it would have made it more interesting, more gangsta.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Bryce: His poor model looks like a house elf. Please, Bryce, have pity on the girl and throw her a sock when you get sent home so she can be free!
    Made me laugh out loud. I got it!!!!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu
    Bert: I didn’t like Bert’s top when Heidi came to check on the teams in the workroom. The muslin version looked like two napkins pinned together. However, the finished look really came out well! He had the best look on his team.
    LOL! I thought it looked like he had cut open a pillow case and slipped it over her head. It was awful at first, but ended up being my favorite of the night. I wonder if that little snippet of "schadenfreude" Bert showed on the runway is typical behavior that up until now has been edited out. Could go a long way to explain why no one else seems to like him.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Yeah, a pillow case is an apt comparison, too!

I'm so disappointed in Bert. I liked his look the first week and thought he would turn out to be one of my favorite designers. However, his bad attitude, inability to compromise or work with a team, and general gruffness make him very unpleasant to watch. I can understand why none of the other designers like him. If he feels like he's so much better than all of the other contestants, why did he try out for this show? I can't imagine Bert interacting with a client well. He's going to want to be shut in a room by himself while he designs, with no input from his client, and I think that's going to severely limit the marketability of his fashions.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Yeah, a pillow case is an apt comparison, too!

I'm so disappointed in Bert. I liked his look the first week and thought he would turn out to be one of my favorite designers. However, his bad attitude, inability to compromise or work with a team, and general gruffness make him very unpleasant to watch. I can understand why none of the other designers like him. If he feels like he's so much better than all of the other contestants, why did he try out for this show? I can't imagine Bert interacting with a client well. He's going to want to be shut in a room by himself while he designs, with no input from his client, and I think that's going to severely limit the marketability of his fashions.
    Bert is still designing as if he were in the 70's or 80's not 2011....and I have to say Julie got robbed blind...she was my favorite going in based on her rack only but when the girl quit it should have been Julie brough back it was the only right thing to do IMO

now I didn't watch this show til it moved to lifetime..I never even knew it existed before then..shame on me...sounds like I missed some good shows..but it was my opinion that this show was about designing courtore or high time fashion so why are they designing something to go with a pair of tennis shoes????? you can easily go to wal mart and pick up shorts and a tee to go with tennis shoes...high fashion and tennis shoes DO NOT go together
    Last edited by ButterflyFaery; 08-26-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    You know, when this season started, I wondered to myself why everyone seemed so, for lack of a better term, bitchy. In the past, some people may have been annoying, but there were others there to balance them out, and some of the ones who were capable of being rude were also capable of being funny. This episode really confirmed that earlier opinion--there really are very few likable people this season.
    Last season I lamented that TPTB were turning this into a typical reality show--all about the drama and not the actual talent or challenges. It looks like this trend is continuing, which breaks my heart, because this used to be such a good show.

I cannot believe Joshua got immunity for a dress that was essentially Anya's design and work. If I were her, I'd have been upset, though she was very gracious about it. In fact, though I'm still suspicious about her supposed four months of sewing ability, I did like her as a person much better in this episode.
    You're preaching to the choir about Joshua and that dress. Anya must be a really nice person, because there's no way I would just smile while somebody was allowed to steal credit for my design just because of a technicality (being leader). That's especially true since he was a crappy leader. Of course, if Anya hadn't of been such a nice person, she wouldn't have frozen Becky out along with Joshua. I'm a big softie, so there is no way I would have let some egomaniac make a teammate feel awful like that. I am glad, though, that once she realized her mistake, Anya felt sincerely sorry and tried to make up for it.

And speaking of which...

I got the impression that Joshua's apology may not have been entirely sincere and was, perhaps, somewhat forced by Anya's reaction to it--and that was a very mature reaction. Instead of blasting Josh, she went to console Becky, and she also asked if Becky preferred to be alone or would like some company.
    Honey, I used to have an emotionally abusive BF, so let me tell you, his apology was worthless. The only reason he did it was because of Anya. If she hadn't of spoken up, and if Becky had let him, he would have treated both of them like crap all the way to the end.

I couldn't believe Josh was praised by the panel for being a good leader, when clearly he was not, and for picking one teammate for her design abilities and another for her sewing abilities, when Tim specifically pointed out in the workroom that they should each have a had in the design and construction of the line.
    He'd better be darned glad he's on a TV show. If this had been the real world, Becky could well have marched into their HR department and gotten him fired. And MK's line about being a leader because he picked somebody just for their sewing skill was as rubbish as Joshua's attitude. That's not leadership, MK. That's being a patronizing git and treating a fellow contestant like a sweatshop worker. Somebody mentioned Burt not getting along with clients. Well, excuse me, who in the heck would want to work with Joshua? Not just clients, but employees. Joshua, sweetheart, when you get out into the real world, your employees aren't going to give a toss about your grand vision. Instead, they're going to go work for your competition after you treat them like dirt.

This isn't the first time Tim has been outright contradicted by the judges, and frankly, I'm generally with Tim.

Finally, I really wanted someone to take Josh down for his "your demographic is forty to death" remark. Considering the fact that that demographic would be about half of a woman's life, and well over half of the time in which a woman would be choosing and buying her own clothes, perhaps it would be wise, as a designer, to think about the fact that not everyone over forty wants to wear "I heart my grandchildren" sweatshirts and polyester pants. Geez, at forty, a woman may still have over twenty years of professional work-related clothing to buy, for instance. I'd really like a challenge where they had to design a line--one casual outfit, one professional work outfit, and one dressy outfit--for a woman over forty to be modeled by an actual woman over forty, not a very thin twenty-something model. A designer who could do that could make a mint, because there are lots of women who need a wardrobe like that who aren't being very well served, particularly in the ready to wear market, which is where most American women can afford to shop.
    I am sick of these young punk designers who think that once you're past 30, you're not worth designing for. Excuse me, honey? Both Nina and Heidi are (I'm guessing) over 40, and they look darn good for their age. If I had been Burt I would have dared him to repeat that remark to Heidi. My grandmother was the most stylish woman I ever knew--right up until the the day she died when she was 95. She never set foot outside without dressing as nicely as she could. Guess what Josh, my dear, there's a reason why women over 40 wouldn't wear your clothing. It's because by then they have the wisdom to tell junk from quality, and know what's worth spending real money on as opposed to throwing money away on stuff that's only fit for the village idiot.

As for the loser, I agree that the wrong person went home.... Beyond that, it was a Heidi centered challenge--she was essentially the client and she preferred the tank to the hopeless piece of hideousness that Ryan Anthony constructed

Who was it that compared Anthony's outfit to a Hefty sack? I just died laughing when I read that. And he absolutely should have been sent home for that. He called himself a leader and yet focused on hating Burt so much that he sent crud down the runway. After Cecilia's pathetic attitude last week, I didn't think I could see worse, but Anthony definitely topped her. Not only did he have a lousy attitude, but he had a lousy outfit. At least Cecilia's outfit had potential and could have been rescued if she had at least tried. There was nothing that could have saved Anthony's. It looks like a piece of debris that's been washed up after Hurricane Irene.

And, as Heidi pointed out, they are supposed to be judging challenge by challenge--they should not be changing the rules as they go along. Oh, yeah, and Ryan Anthony was a horrible leader. He did focus too much on the argument with Bert, and even though I have issues with Bert's attitude too, he is the only one of the three who pulled together what looked like a decently designed and sewn garment. It wasn't especially right for the challenge but neither were those of his teammates, so they all had that problem.
    I feel sorry for him. Remember back in the first episode somebody, I think it was Bryce, said "I have to admit I was prejudiced against Burt because of his age." Good grief, Burt's probably been getting that vibe from most of the guys (I'll give Olivier the benefit of the doubt since he seems so nice.) You'd be crusty, too, if people pre-judged you for something beyond your control, especially if you had to work with them.

I suspect the double winner was a compromise so that Nina and Michael could keep Ryan Anthony around, despite his turning out what may be one of the most revolting outfits to come down that runway. But they shouldn't be compromising. They should be following the rules. If they can't, then they need to establish a clearly defined process for breaking a tie, especially since they keep having them.
    Again, preaching to the choir.

I also wish someone would tell Michael that he's trying way too hard to come up with a funny comment every time he opens his mouth, and as a result, he's failing about 75% of the time and is just sounding mean-spirited. As for Nina, I think Heidi's about two minutes away from throttling her for the superior attitude she takes toward Heidi every time she disagrees with her.
    I really started to get irritated by that last season. Like somebody said, there's a difference between telling the truth and being snarky. At first I loved MK's comments too, but now it's getting old.

Oh, yeah, and I don't understand why Viktor got to choose who got to come back. Every other time someone has had to drop out or has chosen to drop out, whoever was eliminated most recently is the person who returned. If she didn't want to come back, then it should have been the person prior to that. But to just let one designer choose? Why? I'm sure when Cecelia left, she assumed Julie would be returning and that she was giving up her place to the person she felt should have stayed when she was chosen by the judges instead. Certainly the viewers would have reason to assume that. But that wasn't the case.
    Amen and amen.

Lifetime has not managed this show well since it took it over. Bravo did a much better job with it.
    This show has definitely gone downhill since Lifetime took it over.
    Last edited by Babbred; 08-26-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

BTW, it's Anthony Ryan, not Ryan Anthony. I've been trying not to say anything but the nitpicker inside me won't be quiet.

FORT Fogey

I am sick of these young punk designers who think that once you're past 30, you're not worth designing for. Excuse me, honey? Both Nina and Heidi are (I'm guessing) over 40, and they look darn good for their age. If I had been Burt I would have dared him to repeat that remark to Heidi. My grandmother was the most stylish woman I ever knew--right up until the the day she died when she was 95. She never set foot outside without dressing as nicely as she could. Guess what Josh, my dear, there's a reason why women over 40 wouldn't wear your clothing. It's because by then they have the wisdom to tell junk from quality, and know what's worth spending real money on as opposed to throwing money away on stuff that's only fit for the village idiot.

---I volunteer at a nursing home, and there was a resident there for a number of years who was a retired professor of foreign languages. I never saw her in anything but a skirt, silk blouse, blazer or tasteful cardigan, and a string of real pearls. Absolutely classic style--and she was that way right until the end. She also used to choose a language a day and try to converse as much as possible in that language, which I thought was hysterical. Some people thought it was a sign of senility, but I knew it was her way of showing just how on top of it she still was--and if she knew you understood a particular language, she'd deliberately switch to it when you were around (and sort of sigh and switch to English if you looked lost). I've been told by people who knew her when she was younger that I should have seen her in her prime--she was definitely someone to be reckoned with.

I feel sorry for him. Remember back in the first episode somebody, I think it was Bryce, said "I have to admit I was prejudiced against Burt because of his age." Good grief, Burt's probably been getting that vibe from most of the guys (I'll give Olivier the benefit of the doubt since he seems so nice.) You'd be crusty, too, if people pre-judged you for something beyond your control, especially if you had to work with them.

---Bert did say something to the effect that it's hard being around people thirty years his junior constantly, and I can understand that. When there's that much of an age gap, your sleeping, eating, socializing patterns are just so different and so are all your frames of reference. And he's never getting a break. It's not like he just works with them. He lives with them too. I get the impression that Bert is the kind of person who needs alone time, and he's really not in a position to get any. I know I'm not big on having to spend time in any sort of dorm like situation at all anymore--in fact, I'm pretty sure I'd hate it--but I was fine with it when I was in college.
    JulieAnn likes this.

Cecilia should have quit when her and Julie were in the bottom 2. It would have been the right thing to do. I actually thought she was going to by the look in her face when they announced that she was safe (I was shocked for they knew she gave up and her dress was actually worse). For a second there I thought she would tell Heidi before or after she announces who was safe or out. I also thought she would quit in the next episode and sure enough she did. What I was really irked about is that she should not have waited this long and that the previous eliminated contestant (Julie) should have come back. Why do they keep changing the rules on the fly? It was not fair for Julie and it was not fair for the other three leaders.

Victor was 4th place but he got the advantage by being able to choose who he wanted to come back while the other three they had to put up with their 3rd choice who they did not want to be on their team, thus resulting in more conflict with their teams. Victor and Oliver also had the advantage designing their collection early on, as Victor put it, because they didn't have to worry about butting heads with an extra member.

I think when they were picking teams, if the leader was allowed to select who he wanted to come back, then Josh should have had that choice being the winner of the race. That being said, Becky would have been with Bryce, Danielle would have been with Anthony and Bert would have been with Victor. I think we all should write/protest to PJ for this fiasco. They practically took out the advantage of being 1st. Josh still won but undeservedly so because his leadership was atrocious (yet ironically they praised it). He should not have been the co-winner because of his bad leadership.

Obviously, Heidi had to compromise. I think she liked both collections by Josh and Victor. So they gave her the decision to pick two winners but she had to sacrifice her pick for the loser. Nina and Michael didn't think that Danielle has as much potential as Anthony. Anthony had a bad day, so they were willing to give him a 2nd chance. This episode had too many things wrong with it and it's because they randomly changed the rules and it affected everything in a bad way. The unintended consequences were a disaster.

How do you break a tie for the loser? Tim Gunn should do it but he is too attached to the designers that I think he would decline it. I thought they score the designs? That alone would break the tie, otherwise, they have to look at their past accomplishments.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 08-27-2011 at 12:52 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast